Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 hours ago, hippo said:

I'm guessing at the bigger Welsh clubs 20,000 crowds have the potential to do more damage than much smaller indoor viewings.

Any rule, in any walk of life will throw up some anomalies you have to look at the broad thrust of what is trying to be achieved.

So you stop the two english clubs with six or seven figure budgets and capable of getting a crowd of 20,000 by setting an attendance cap, or a social distancing rule. Except of course, the Welsh Government have no jurisdiction over people travelling to London to watch football.

The Welsh League Pyramid has hundreds of clubs, not just four that play in England.

Most of those clubs would love a crowd of 100. Boxing Day, we get triple the usual crowd, they buy programmes, and beer, and chips, and goalden goal tickets, and a scarf and a pin badge and it gets us through January and February. It’s killed the league as a competition. 

Meanwhile: pubs are open, cinemas are open, theatres are open

Meanwhile Swansea had a game in London they were allowed to take fans to and today Wrexham have been allowed to take fans to Altrincham.

Welcome to a shopping centre

spacer.png

It’s not an anomaly, its a wrong move that was totally avoidable and advised against.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've been wearing them for 12-14 hours a day for the last week, and it isn't particularly pleasant but after a while, I forget it's there. It's more a nuisance than anytthing else. Painful seems very strange.

Come back to me in just under 2 years after wearing ones too small because the nhs can’t be arsed to get different sizes anymore. Now and again we get some that don’t squeeze my head at the ears but the majority of them are made for pinheads. Or I’ve got a massive 50p head 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So you stop the two english clubs with six or seven figure budgets and capable of getting a crowd of 20,000 by setting an attendance cap, or a social distancing rule. Except of course, the Welsh Government have no jurisdiction over people travelling to London to watch football.

The Welsh League Pyramid has hundreds of clubs, not just four that play in England.

Most of those clubs would love a crowd of 100. Boxing Day, we get triple the usual crowd, they buy programmes, and beer, and chips, and goalden goal tickets, and a scarf and a pin badge and it gets us through January and February. It’s killed the league as a competition. 

Meanwhile Swansea had a game in London they were allowed to take fans to and today Wrexham have been allowed to take fans to Altrincham.

spacer.png

It’s not an anomaly, its a wrong move that was totally avoidable and advised against.

I agree.

At the beginning the governments could forgiven for throwing together rules quickly and there being some pretty big holes in their plans.

Now though, no excuse, they should be more refined.

• Like 2

Just now, Ingram85 said:

Come back to me in just under 2 years after wearing ones too small because the nhs can’t be arsed to get different sizes anymore. Now and again we get some that don’t squeeze my head at the ears but the majority of them are made for pinheads. Or I’ve got a massive 50p head 😁

Ah that's fair, they fit me just fine but I can see how an ill-fitting one is a completely different matter.

Both me and the mrs feeling a bit rough today. Like a hangover, but without the heavy drinking. 
Lateral flows coming back negative. Hopefully it’s a cold, it’s just a coincidence we both have same symptoms at the same time.

Edited by Genie

7 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The younger nurses/carers don't care. They have random time off anyway, so any excuse. My Mrs is forever telling them to put there masks back on, also says 40% of the younger staff are not fully vaxed. Hardly anyone wears masks in the staff room, what does this tell you.

My other half works in the QE hospital and she confirms what you're saying. Some of the mask wearing and basic hand sanitising is poor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Both me and the mrs feeling a bit rough today. Like a hangover, but without the heavy drinking. 
Lateral flows coming back negative. Hopefully it’s a cold, it’s just a coincidence we both have same symptoms at the same time.

🤞 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Key thing to look for is if the research is peer reviewed. Until then it remains just a theory.

I am not a big fan of pre-prints but to be fair, thanks to there being an infinite number of journals and "pay to publish", a lot of garbage gets published even in "peer-reviewed" journals. I know of examples where the peer reviewers recommended to reject (i.e., not publish) articles for a specific journal, but their reviews were ignored and the article published in said journal.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Of course it matters, not even sure you’ve explained to right correctly anyway, plus it’s based on only 15 participants and not peer reviewed.  Basically it’s just one step above a guess at the moment.

Then explain it to me correctly then?

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

15 participants is not ideal? Seems like a lot of people are saying it’s far from ideal and sending out that kind of information is far from good for a respected person unless he has a narrative.

It's not ideal but that doesn't mean it's not acceptable. Many human studies in physiology, exercise science, etc. use similar sample sizes. For a rapid communication on some preliminary findings, what's wrong? What narrative would he have?

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I had a dodgy spell on Christmas Eve and well into Christmas Day itself.  It was a bit odd, I was feeling very achy and shivery and even had a bout of diarrhoea.  All of the household carry on to test negative LFT and all (now me included) feeling absolutely fine.  I guess the difference in this case is that it was only me feeling a bit rough. I was prepared to take a PCR first thing on Boxing Day but by then it had completely gone and I felt like nothing had happened. It seemed to have been and gone in a flash (all in all about 24 hours).  For what it's worth, I haven't been anywhere since and will stay with the folks for a few more days (still testing with the LFTs). 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

My other half works in the QE hospital and she confirms what you're saying. Some of the mask wearing and basic hand sanitising is poor.

Cheers chap, not that I should need to prove myself. I would hardly make things up on this subject.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

My mom and dad have got this. Mom came over yesterday with all the symptoms of Covid, head ache, constant cough, feeling generally rough, I sent her home and to do a PCR on the way back, had already done 3 lateral flows one at mine all negative. PCR came back couple of hours ago negative too, so just must be a bad cold going about. Or maybe something else, you never know do you???

Edited by foreveryoung

Just now, foreveryoung said:

My mom and dad have had this. Mom came over yesterday with all the symptoms of Covid, head ache, constant cough, feeling generally rough, I sent her home and to do a PCR on the way back, had already done 3 lateral flows one at mine all negative. PCR came back couple of hours ago negative too, so just must be a bad cold going about. Or maybe something else, you never know do you???

Yeah, we both have back ache and feeling really tired too which is odd.

Hopefully after another nights sleep it’s all sorted itself out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Yeah, we both have back ache and feeling really tired too which is odd.

Hopefully after another nights sleep it’s all sorted itself out. 

All the best that it'll be gone soon like mine did.  Yours seems similar to mine - hopefully you'll be feeling much better tomorrow.  As I say, very strange but I felt like superman once it went :D

• Like 1

The thing that's annoyed me most about mt visits to hospital this week haven't been mask wearing, it's been the bizarre covid-theatre that persists nearly 2 years later. They ask us to disinfect the chairs every time we move from one, like Covid is going to be transmitted rectally through layers of clothing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

Dunno Im not an epidemiologist. England hasn't locked down - against the advice of some doctors groups.

There's no easy answers to any of this - there's probably no right or wrong - just shades of. It's pretty easy to pick holes in certain aspects on a Web forum. Look accross Europe - I wouldn't say Wales in massively out of step.

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The thing that's annoyed me most about mt visits to hospital this week haven't been mask wearing, it's been the bizarre covid-theatre that persists nearly 2 years later. They ask us to disinfect the chairs every time we move from one, like Covid is going to be transmitted rectally through layers of clothing.

Unfortunately, it's one of those situations that makes you wonder, if that's the level of ignorance being operationalised in that little setting of the hospital, what ignorance is being operationalised in more important areas.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I felt shivery one day before Xmas. I had to go in to get my laptop updated. Tested before I went - negative. Came back freezing cold - just wanted to go to bed with a water bottle. Did another test got it right on the tonils and right up the nose.

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when it came negative. All gone by the next morning.!

Pre covid we'd shrug this of as normal ! - it's a funny old world at the moment.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

Pre covid we'd shrug this of as normal ! - it's a funny old world at the moment.

Yeah exactly, I’m not concerned about my health. I’m just nervous about going out and about if it were to finally turn out to be covid and pass it on. Doesn’t seem like it’s the case (so far).

• Like 1

Â