Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, trekka said:

I had a dodgy spell on Christmas Eve and well into Christmas Day itself.  It was a bit odd, I was feeling very achy and shivery and even had a bout of diarrhoea.  All of the household carry on to test negative LFT and all (now me included) feeling absolutely fine.  I guess the difference in this case is that it was only me feeling a bit rough. I was prepared to take a PCR first thing on Boxing Day but by then it had completely gone and I felt like nothing had happened. It seemed to have been and gone in a flash (all in all about 24 hours).  For what it's worth, I haven't been anywhere since and will stay with the folks for a few more days (still testing with the LFTs). 

Might have just been a dodgy sprout?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Might have just been a dodgy sprout?

Well I suppose a sprout could have done something to me, the evil gits that they are. This was me shivering and aching all over though. 

2 hours ago, trekka said:

Well I suppose a sprout could have done something to me, the evil gits that they are. This was me shivering and aching all over though. 

Never underestimate a sprouts capability, they are the villan of the vegetable world. 😆

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trekka said:

I had a dodgy spell on Christmas Eve and well into Christmas Day itself.  It was a bit odd, I was feeling very achy and shivery and even had a bout of diarrhoea.  All of the household carry on to test negative LFT and all (now me included) feeling absolutely fine.  I guess the difference in this case is that it was only me feeling a bit rough. I was prepared to take a PCR first thing on Boxing Day but by then it had completely gone and I felt like nothing had happened. It seemed to have been and gone in a flash (all in all about 24 hours).  For what it's worth, I haven't been anywhere since and will stay with the folks for a few more days (still testing with the LFTs). 

I had a similar bug for a day or two a month or so ago after a day in London.  I was caught between just carrying on as if it was just a bug or being cautious that it might be covid and ended up losing 3 days' pay waiting for the CPR result.  I may have been unlucky waiting that long for the result and working for a bunch of words removed who only pay SSP but it does make me wonder how many people have a similar quandary about what to do.  Anyway, glad it doesn't seem too serious.

Edited by sharkyvilla

Tomorrow marks 2 weeks since the real big new cases figures started to happen. 

15th December we had 78,600 whcuh was about 20,000 more than the day before and 28,000 more than the week before which is where numbers had been rumbling along for a while. 

After 15th December is just started going up and up. 

We're going to start seeing the impact on hospital cases from here on in.  Will. Be interesting so see how it goes. 

• Like 1

I’m feeling pretty much all clear of any lingering symptoms, except getting occassional flashes of vertigo. Since my covid was essentially a ten day sinus infection, it makes sense it has messed with my vestibular system too. 

I hope it passes soon, though. It can be a bit uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Omicron is finally in community in NZ. A person that had done 7 days in quarantine had 3 days more of self isolation but decided to go shopping, bar hopping and night clubbing before 9th day test. People are selfish morons

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Tomorrow marks 2 weeks since the real big new cases figures started to happen. 

15th December we had 78,600 whcuh was about 20,000 more than the day before and 28,000 more than the week before which is where numbers had been rumbling along for a while. 

After 15th December is just started going up and up. 

We're going to start seeing the impact on hospital cases from here on in.  Will. Be interesting so see how it goes. 

It’s a two week lag until the deaths start to appear in the figures isn’t it? Rather than a two week lag until the hospitalisations are seen?

4 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

It’s a two week lag until the deaths start to appear in the figures isn’t it? Rather than a two week lag until the hospitalisations are seen?

I believe it's usually about 2 weeks for hospitalisations and then 3 weeks till deaths.  I guess that week in hospital getting proper treatment is they key part of the fight. 

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Omicron is finally in community in NZ. A person that had done 7 days in quarantine had 3 days more of self isolation but decided to go shopping, bar hopping and night clubbing before 9th day test. People are selfish morons

JFC it was a UK DJ coming for a festival. Don't think would've been named if average Kiwi returning home. Needless to say people here are livid

• Sad 1

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-fresh-vaccine-booster-drive-launched-amid-continued-rise-in-coronavirus-cases-12505504

COVID-19: Fresh vaccine booster drive launched amid continued rise in coronavirus cases

A fresh booster jab drive has been launched by the NHS in an effort to protect more people from the rapid spread of the COVID-19 Omicron variant.

It comes amid more record infection numbers across the UK, with rates consistently above 90,000 over the Christmas period

Another 244,078 vaccinations were given out on Monday, including 209,626 boosters - the second-highest total for a bank holiday.

Three in five intensive care patients with COVID in London were unvaccinated, new figures show

The urgency to get people vaccinated has been underlined by new research from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre that shows most people in intensive care in London who had COVID last month had not been vaccinated.

"Getting vaccinated... means that you are much less likely to end up in a hospital bed that could otherwise be used to treat someone else."

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-uk-latest-no-new-coronavirus-restrictions-before-new-year-omicron-cases-hospitalisations-12469075

Up to 90% of people in intensive care with COVID are not boosted - PM

Boris Johnson stressed the importance of booster jabs again this morning, insisting this is the only way to enjoy the New Year "sensibly and cautiously".

The PM said there are 2.4 million eligible double-jabbed people who are yet to take up the offer of a booster.

He added: "I'm sorry to say this but the overwhelming majority of people who are currently ending up in intensive care in our hospitals are people who are not boosted.

"I've talked to doctors who say the numbers are running up to 90% of people in intensive care, who are not boosted.

"If you're not vaccinated, you're eight times more likely to get into hospital altogether."

Mr Johnson added the vaccination roll-out had allowed England to maintain its current level of coronavirus controls.

"The Omicron variant continues to cause real problems. You are seeing cases rising in hospitals," he said.

"But it is obviously milder than the Delta variant and we are able to proceed in the way that we are."

Not sure that to make of the above figures unless London is different to the National figures? 

Either way Bojo is finally putting the message out that most are not boosted. 

Â