Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve had the text from NHS saying I can get my booster . That means the efficiency of the first two jabs has dropped and I need the booster. So how long does this go on for ? Keep getting vaccinated every 6 months or whatever. Not sure I’m keen on that tbf . 

I don’t think anyone knows, probably annually around autumn/winter for the next few years is my best guess.

24 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve had the text from NHS saying I can get my booster . That means the efficiency of the first two jabs has dropped and I need the booster. So how long does this go on for ? Keep getting vaccinated every 6 months or whatever. Not sure I’m keen on that tbf . 

It's only twice a year 😐 

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Do you really think that all this would be over with if every single person was jabbed? Of course it wouldn't be. The virus would still be there, the virus would still be changing/mutating, more boosters would be needed - then it you didn't have your 4th booster you'd be 'part of the problem' and round and round we go.

We know as a fact that the virus (any virus) can mutate on transmission. We know for a fact that the vaccine reduces transmission. We know for a fact that the vaccine protects people against death and serious illness and we know that recovery from infection (and removal of the virus from the body) stop infection (shortly after) - i.e. if you're ill with it, you're infectious.

So we know for certain that the more people are vaccinated, the closer this whole pandemic is to coming to an end. The wider it circulates, the more transmissions and the longer they linger in people, the greater the chance of mutations and of a worse mutation.

Unvaccinated people (through choice or necessity) are the major block statistically to this thing being over for everyone.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

So we know for certain that the more people are vaccinated, the closer this whole pandemic is to coming to an end. The wider it circulates, the more transmissions and the longer they linger in people, the greater the chance of mutations and of a worse mutation.

Unfortunately we don't know that, (and it might be exactly the opposite)

Imperfect Vaccination Can Enhance the Transmission of Highly Virulent Pathogens

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1002198

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Unfortunately we don't know that, (and it might be exactly the opposite)

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1002198

We do know that for the covid vaccine. The article supports that point (though it makes a different, controversial one that imperfect vaccines could contribute to the spread and subsequent development of mutations and recommends that the whole population needs to be vaccinated/protected to eliminate this risk). It further supports the importance (to individuals) of getting vaccinated to protect themselves against transmission. The mathematical modelling they did (they claim) suggests "imperfect vaccines" could (though it's not been seen in humans, ever) put the unvaccinated at greater risk. 

when vaccines leak, allowing at least some pathogen transmission, they could create the ecological conditions that would allow hot strains to emerge and persist. This theory proved highly controversial when it was first proposed over a decade ago, but here we report experiments with Marek’s disease virus in poultry that show that modern commercial leaky vaccines can have precisely this effect: they allow the onward transmission of strains otherwise too lethal to persist. Thus, the use of leaky vaccines can facilitate the evolution of pathogen strains that put unvaccinated hosts at greater risk of severe disease.

Get **** vaccinated! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, blandy said:

We do know that for the covid vaccine. The article supports that point (though it makes a different, controversial one that imperfect vaccines could contribute to the spread and subsequent development of mutations and recommends that the whole population needs to be vaccinated/protected to eliminate this risk). It further supports the importance (to individuals) of getting vaccinated to protect themselves against transmission. The mathematical modelling they did (they claim) suggests "imperfect vaccines" could (though it's not been seen in humans, ever) put the unvaccinated at greater risk. 

Get **** vaccinated! 

I agree with your point, but I think you went too far when you said 

It's not that certain, but common sense suggests that we should of course get vaccinated.

It's a bit of a is-ought fallacy.

Think I’ve mentioned before about the bloke in the local newsagents. He’s a big anti vaccine person. I went in this afternoon and he’s there preaching against the vaccines to some other bloke. The bloke who he was talking to was basically saying look I’m 52, so whatever they offer us I’ll take. I made a joke and said haven’t you been vaccinated yet. He then went off on one telling me that’s there’s hundreds of footballers all over Europe dropping dead with heart attacks because of this vaccine they have had. First I’ve heard tbf. 

Entirely predictable scenes

Tens of thousands of people have been marching in the Belgian capital, Brussels, to protest against anti-Covid measures. 

Some protesters threw fireworks at police officers, who intervened with tear gas and water cannon. 

Demonstrators are mainly opposed to the use of Covid passes, which stops the unvaccinated from entering venues such as restaurants or bars.

This comes after fresh protests in the Netherlands against new lockdown rules.

On Saturday, people hurled fireworks at police and set fire to bicycles in The Hague, one night after protests in Rotterdam turned violent and police fired gunshots.

Thousands of demonstrators also took to the streets in Austria, Croatia and Italy as anger mounted over new curbs.

Link

I have to say, 2 years in and no plan to protect from a likely winter surge is not ok. I can understand why there is such strong anger at new lockdown measures.

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Think I’ve mentioned before about the bloke in the local newsagents. He’s a big anti vaccine person. I went in this afternoon and he’s there preaching against the vaccines to some other bloke. The bloke who he was talking to was basically saying look I’m 52, so whatever they offer us I’ll take. I made a joke and said haven’t you been vaccinated yet. He then went off on one telling me that’s there’s hundreds of footballers all over Europe dropping dead with heart attacks because of this vaccine they have had. First I’ve heard tbf. 

I feel like that might have made the news if it were even remotely true! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Entirely predictable scenes

Link

I have to say, 2 years in and no plan to protect from a likely winter surge is not ok. I can understand why there is such strong anger at new lockdown measures.

I suspect that if there was a better plan there would be mass protests against it anyway.  I'm at the point where as long as I get a jab in my arm whenever it's necessary I'm not that bothered about anyone who doesn't want one and/or wants to protest.  Darwin will catch up with them.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I've got a stinking cold from somewhere. I keep thing there but for the grace of god. (not that a fictitious figure has anything to do with it) 

I had a cold last week. I kept thinking, I've got a cold

• Haha 2

On 20/11/2021 at 21:14, Genie said:

I bet they want the hospital to have space for them if they get sick though.

I think this is where we are in Holland.

The ICU's are getting full and the usual route is to send patients to Germany.  I don't think they can rely on that now.

There is no NHS in Holland so you have medical insurance. 

Just make it so the non vaccinated are not insured for Covid treatments in Hospital from 1st February and also make it that vaccinated get ICU's before non vaccinated as the chance of survival in 1 set of ill patients is a better use of limited equipment.  Don't make it compulsory either as that will wind them up (See Holland and riots).  This is more subtle.  Don't forget they are unvaccinated and are confident they wont need the hospitals anyway so win / win.  Losing theirs lives is not enough so another angle is needed.

• Like 1

3G in my office from wednesday, you're only allowed in the building if you're vaccinated, recovered or been tested in the last 48 hours (which you have to pay for)

the option to work from home is there if you have none of those but the ostracisation is going through the gears

saw the dutch riots on the news last night, we havent gone to the no medical insurance extent yet but we're on that path

Â