Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I think @bickster and I are broadly in agreement.

All things being equal you’d expect the removal of social distancing measures to have an adverse affect on the number of people catching the virus.

What seems to have caught a lot of the experts and public out is that going into the 19th wasn’t a “normal” period. It was a period of very high social contact across the country due to the 4 weeks of football. The ending of the Euros alone would have forced the infection rate right down. Easing of restrictions possibly picking up some infections that otherwise would not have occurred (clubbers, gigs, big weddings etc), but it’s not comparable to the “saving” made by the Euros finishing.

It’s an exciting time, unless the NHS (or whoever collates the data) doesn’t find another 500,000 positive test results which fell off the bottom of the spreadsheet again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

unless the NHS (or whoever collates the data) doesn’t find another 500,000 positive test results which fell off the bottom of the spreadsheet again.

I wouldn't entirely rule that out yet TBH. :D

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yet there’s still plenty of people talking like the vaccines are a bad thing . It’s their body I suppose , but I’d like to know how many of the anti vax brigade smoke, drink, or take drugs, and you may as well throw in eat shit all the time .

It's not just their body though, that's the frustrating thing. Not having the vaccine is dangerous to other people, not just the person not having it

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s an exciting time, unless the NHS (or whoever collates the data) doesn’t find another 500,000 positive test results which fell off the bottom of the spreadsheet again.

With 8 days of drops in reported cases, I guess we'll find out very soon whether the hospital figures start falling. At the moment they're still going up at a fair lick.

rona.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not just their body though, that's the frustrating thing. Not having the vaccine is dangerous to other people, not just the person not having it

How less likely are you  to catch and spread Covid if you’re double jabbed ?

Edited by Rugeley Villa

17 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

How less likely are you  to catch and spread Covid if you’re double jabbed ?

Initial research  has suggested it stops the spread by up to 80%

• Like 1

Quarantine-free travel finally allowed from the EU and US (though you can't go there) from Monday.

Hilarious that Labour are opposing this. I can't think why anyone would not support this move. They should be arguing the other way instead - for the tests before and after flying, which still make travel incredibly prohibitive and are effectively a tax straight into the pockets of Tory chums, to be abolished. The Conservatives will be in power forever.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Quarantine-free travel finally allowed from the EU and US (though you can't go there) from Monday.

Hilarious that Labour are opposing this. I can't think why anyone would not support this move. They should be arguing the other way instead - for the tests before and after flying, which still make travel incredibly prohibitive and are effectively a tax straight into the pockets of Tory chums, to be abolished. The Conservatives will be in power forever.

Just read this, a PCR test before you return? **** sake, that’s the dumbest part.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Of course France is excluded. I really quite fancy seeing my parents before they shuffle off their mortal coil. 

Could you return via a different country for the mandatory amount of days?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Genie said:

I don’t think a single “expert” predicted a reduction of cases post 19th July which is why I think so many are scratching their heads.

ahem

On 06/07/2021 at 10:19, darrenm said:

2 weeks left of kids passing it around and then cases should properly fall.

I know I'm not an expert but 2 weeks after 6th of July is post 19th ;) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Of course France is excluded. I really quite fancy seeing my parents before they shuffle off their mortal coil. 

It's almost certainly going to be moved back to the normal amber list next Thursday to come into effect on Monday 9th August.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2021 at 20:10, Jareth said:

The Scotland numbers appear to be declining since July 1st, looking at that graph, not sure that decline can be answered with well yeah hot weather, less testing, school holibobs etc.... That said I expect England to have a different old time, given the mentler in charge of the country. 

🤣

On 27/07/2021 at 22:21, Mark Albrighton said:

Had my second Pfizer on Thursday just gone. Pretty much the exact same reaction as my first Pfizer jab, sore/dead arm for 24-36 hours. I didn’t experience the headaches or other reactions that were predicted as a possibility by the person who administered it.

I had a much stronger reaction to my first Pfizer jab. Absolutely on the floor for 3 days. 2nd jab? Nothing except mild pain at site.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Had my second Moderna today. Luckily, haven't had a single side effect from either other than a sore arm. Though, i've also never had flu before in general, so not sure if that helps or not. 

I had both doses of AZ without any side effects and I have had flu.

It doesn't feel like their is any reason for side effects. You may get them once, twice, never and no one can say why. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, a m ole said:

Just read this, a PCR test before you return? **** sake, that’s the dumbest part.

It’s not even a PCR test mate; I’m in Majorca at the moment and basically you pay £40 odd quid for a lateral flow that is identical to the ones you can get over the counter for free in a pharmacy. You then have a video “interview” with an advisor who watches you swab your throat then you essentially show them the test on the screen and providing it’s showing as negative, your certificate to travel is issued. It’s comical! 

• Haha 1

Â