Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think a sensible middle ground for a few weeks is

Pinged -> do a test -> negative -> as you were

Pinged -> do a test -> positive -> isolate

The current arrangement of pinged -> isolate even if you’re perfectly well, vaccinated and confirmed as virus free is amazingly stupid.

Spot on. I done my PCR today, as soon as I get the result and it’s negative I’ll head straight back to work. That’s how it should be.

• Like 1

Test and Trace have surpassed themselves today...

PLEASE RESPOND to the NHS Test and Trace service to protect yourself, your community, and the NHS from coronavirus
Dear Delta Taxis,
NHS Test and Trace has identified you as a contact of someone who has recently tested positive for COVID-19. You must now stay at home and self-isolate for 10 days from the date of your last contact with them.

That's 1500 drivers & 150 staff

Yes, we're ignoring it whilst ROFL

• Haha 2

Interested to get people's opinions on people that won't have the vaccine right now because of worries regarding fertility.

This is where I don't think it's as black & white as "if you don't have it, you're a selfish moron". For a lot of people planning families, hearing that there is "no hypothetical reason" why it would effect fertility or the health of your future child isn't quite enough reassurance, and they'd want to see hard evidence to prove that it's okay. I do sympathise with this side of the argument.

2 hours ago, JoshVilla said:

Interested to get people's opinions on people that won't have the vaccine right now because of worries regarding fertility.

This is where I don't think it's as black & white as "if you don't have it, you're a selfish moron". For a lot of people planning families, hearing that there is "no hypothetical reason" why it would effect fertility or the health of your future child isn't quite enough reassurance, and they'd want to see hard evidence to prove that it's okay. I do sympathise with this side of the argument.

I've not seen any stats to back this up but I suspect there's a rather large proportion of currently pregnant women who have been vaccinated

Anecdotal observation, but last week, despite the restrictions being lifted it seemed like wherever I went around 80-90% of adults were wearing masks. 

Just been out again, this time it felt closer to the inverse of that. First time I’ve felt a bit conspicuous for wearing a mask.

• Shocked 1

Second jab this morning, dead arm currently. 

A few weeks too late after being at weddings and very busy stags the last few weeks. A miracle more of us didnt catch it but atleast 3 from each stag did get it. 

Sorry for the Fail link but Australia was hailed as handling the pandemic really well last year. Would we still say the same now? They can't lock down borders and shut down cities and states forever?

Australia uses helicopters and the ARMY to enforce its 'Zero Covid' lockdown as thousands of police flood Sydney to enforce the rules and hand out $500 no-mask fines - with just 17% of adults vaccinated

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9846939/Soldiers-sent-enforce-lockdown-Sydney.html

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Sorry for the Fail link but Australia was hailed as handling the pandemic really well last year. Would we still say the same now? They can't lock down borders and shut down cities and states forever?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9846939/Soldiers-sent-enforce-lockdown-Sydney.html

It's always easier to control it when you're remote and not a hub for any travel other than in and out. 

Just imagine the people traffic that passes through the UK compared to Australia. 

But once it's in, it's in. 

I am still amazed that Europe hasn't suffered more from this Delta variant. It doesn't seem to have ripped through anything like as badly as I thought, though USA seems to be getting hit by it now. 

Edited by sidcow

On 31/07/2021 at 01:33, bickster said:

I've not seen any stats to back this up but I suspect there's a rather large proportion of currently pregnant women who have been vaccinated

My sister in law has just had a baby. She didn't have the vaccine because of the mixed advise. Government would say have it, doctor said it was upto her, mid wives would tell her not to risk it. Now she's trying to get it but the practicalities of having a new born baby make it tricky. Imagine others in the same boat.

42 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Had the 2nd jab yesterday. Barely slept all night and feel exhausted but over then that all good. 

I had 2nd Pfizer yesterday too. Knocked me about a bit last night, chills and crazy aches and pains, couldn't sleep either. Not woke up too bad, but on the paracetamol today mi thinks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Booster jabs announced for the elderly and vulnerable. All boosters to be Pfizer as it is most effective against Boris' delta variant.

For that group it may be Pfizer, I doubt it will be going down the groups though. That one will be pfizer because it was Pfizer last time. We have much less Pfizer than AZ. It'll be like for like right now because as far as I'm aware no-one has published any result of cross-vaccination usage yet (at least a couple of studies being done)

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I had 2nd Pfizer yesterday too. Knocked me about a bit last night, chills and crazy aches and pains, couldn't sleep either. Not woke up too bad, but on the paracetamol today mi thinks.

I had moderna. Felt okay until about 9pm then had the worst shakes and chills I'd ever had. Was awake on the hour every hour going from hot to cold and back again. Some joint pains and loss of appetite but feel better then after the first jab. 

Didn't help that when I went for a bath just now the wife had turned the hot water off. 

Just now, Rds1983 said:

I had moderna. Felt okay until about 9pm then had the worst shakes and chills I'd ever had. Was awake on the hour every hour going from hot to cold and back again. Some joint pains and loss of appetite but feel better then after the first jab. 

Didn't help that when I went for a bath just now the wife had turned the hot water off. 

Sounds the same as what I had last night, just trying to build myself up to eat something today. My first vaccine was administered by someone who didn't know what they were doing, so painful when she jabbed it into me, no after effects though. Second yesterday, didn't even know she did it, but so rough last night, not sure I'd be taking a booster to go through that again.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

For that group it may be Pfizer, I doubt it will be going down the groups though. That one will be pfizer because it was Pfizer last time. We have much less Pfizer than AZ. It'll be like for like right now because as far as I'm aware no-one has published any result of cross-vaccination usage yet (at least a couple of studies being done)

I'm vulnerable and had two AZ. I had my second in March and it was all that was available as I asked for Pfizer. I think it was inject whatever was available for my area. 

Sorry to link heil but it's a major story on their website. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9849067/ALL-50s-clinically-vulnerable-offered-Pfizer-booster-shot.html

ALL over-50s will get Covid booster shots by autumn: People who got AstraZeneca 'are set to be given a Pfizer jab' in new vaccine drive because it is more effective against Indian variant

Booster scheme for over 50s and clinically vulnerable as well as healthcare workers is set to start this autumn

The Pfizer vaccination has proved to be the most effective against the Delta variant with a rate of 96 per cent

A new research study has also shown a third dose of Pfizer offers very strong protection against Delta variant

Â