Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Haven’t worn a mask in over a month now, I think. Completely in line with national and local recommendations, btw. I have to admit, I don’t miss it. It’s kind of like that other thing you sometimes wear for protection: You don’t mind if you must, but prefer not to.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Haven’t worn a mask in over a month now, I think. Completely in line with national and local recommendations, btw. I have to admit, I don’t miss it. It’s kind of like that other thing you sometimes wear for protection: You don’t mind if you must, but prefer not to.

Good analogy. 

53 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I’m not particularly buying or selling with my observations. It’s actually nice to experience what used to be normal. Apart from bottles of hand wash dotted around it’s exactly how it was.

It didn’t make feel insecure or at risk either. It felt great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Clacton on sea, it seems to be mainly the location of choice of east Landoners.

In the holiday park and in the town, mask wearing is <1%

The odd thing being, I’ve just had a couple of days in London, and mask wearing out and about was still a thing.

On the tube, there haven’t been enough people around for a decent sample size, it’s been weirdly deserted. Of the people I have seen on the tube and on stations I’d say almost all were wearing masks, I think i saw three people in two days without masks on the tube.

Parked up in Westfield Hammersmith, mid morning the place was like a ghost town. Tube station deserted, empty tube train… and that’s a tube that went through Paddington / Baker Street / Kings Cross. Same on the way back, mid morning and mid afternoon in August and the tubes were almost empty.

Got to my destination in a fairly central London location and I could’ve driven, the majority of street parking spaces were empty. Same story next day, just weird to see it. From the TV news I was under the impression London was close to being back to normal. Admittedly I wasn’t travelling at peak commuter times, but it was nowhere near normal, not 20% of normal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Good analogy. 

Ah yes - the old airliner seat belt analogy 😛. Worn under Durex, I mean duress.

The figures are interesting the last few days - Daily cases are sort of up and down stable, but down on a week ago, Hospitalisations now following the cases drop of a week or two ago, and deaths going up still, probably will for another week. But taken together it looks like the drop we saw in daily cases wasn't a consequence of the drop in tests, but the drop in tests was an indication of genuine retreat of the virus for the time being.

• Haha 1

I'm going into the office once or twice a week at the moment (and ours has a mask-on policy).  Each lunch break, I've gone to the local Sainsburys.  I'd say mask wearing is still a thing for maybe 80% of people - and, noticeably, the ones not wearing a mask are either younger folk (expected) or older folk (not so expected).  The middle ground - say, 25 to 50 year olds - seem to be sticking with masks.

• Like 1

I don't wear a mask now unless the shop requests it. I haven't got anything against them but I think at some point you have to take the win and appreciate the feeling of freedom while it's on the retreat. I'm double jabbed and younger so I'm unlikely to be very ill if I get it and unlikely to pass it on. While deaths are still in the realms of probably end of line anyway people I'd like to feel some kind of normality.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I don't wear a mask now unless the shop requests it. I haven't got anything against them but I think at some point you have to take the win and appreciate the feeling of freedom while it's on the retreat. I'm double jabbed and younger so I'm unlikely to be very ill if I get it and unlikely to pass it on. While deaths are still in the realms of probably end of line anyway people I'd like to feel some kind of normality.

Why are you unlikely to pass it on?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Why would you be any less likely to pass it on because your younger? Age is completely irrelevant when your talking about your ability to pass this virus onto someone else. 18 months on and people still don't understand the basics of this pandemic. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Why are you unlikely to pass it on?

Because being vaccinated reduces transmission.

13 minutes ago, jones1328 said:

Why would you be any less likely to pass it on because your younger? Age is completely irrelevant when your talking about your ability to pass this virus onto someone else. 18 months on and people still don't understand the basics of this pandemic. 

I didn't say less likely to pass it on because I'm younger, I said I'm double jabbed and therefore less likely to pass it on. Learn to read before making assumptions about others' understanding.

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

You might want to look at what you posted @darrenm you are definitely implying that age has an element. 

I'll admit you can read it either way. But for the sake of clarity, I'm not implying that. I'm double jabbed and I'm younger (relatively!) so I'm unlikely to get severely ill and (new clause, unrelated to age) I'm less likely to pass it on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MCU said:

Not sure why but I've been a bit anxious recently with catching covid as I have some important dates coming up over the next couple of weeks (stag do, birthdays).

Went to the cinema last night and was sat next to someone constantly sniffing throughout the film. Probably nothing but shitting myself a little bit.

I don't think thats a side effect of Covid mate. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Genie said:

Clacton on sea, it seems to be mainly the location of choice of east Landoners.

In the holiday park and in the town, mask wearing is <1%

You mean outside? I can't think of any times I'd wear a mask outside?

Or you on about in shops and bars etc?

14 hours ago, Xela said:

You mean outside? I can't think of any times I'd wear a mask outside?

Or you on about in shops and bars etc?

Anywhere. In the Shops, Bars, arcades, piers, restaurants, transiting through buildings. It’s a no mask town, and that includes staff too. 

This is fine, it’s peoples choice, it’s just struck me as surprising as it doesn’t seem to be the same all over the country. Not even in other touristy seaside towns.

Edited by Genie

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

Anywhere. In the Shops, Bars, arcades, piers, restaurants, transiting through buildings. It’s a no mask town, and that includes staff too. 

This is fine, it’s peoples choice, it’s just struck me as surprising as it doesn’t seem to be the same all over the country. Not even in other touristy seaside towns.

My wife and daughter are slowly ditching the mask and they have said they aren’t wearing it at all when we go on holiday. Nothing has changed for me. 

Â