Generic Virus Thread

villakram

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

One of the lads down our place has been refused furlough. He’s on the books so is entitled to it, but our firm has said it’s too late now. He apparently sent one of the bosses a link to show him that he’s entitled to it, but they said take it as holiday or on the sick , but no furlough. I haven’t really looked at the furlough rules as it doesn’t effect me, but it seems very wrong of them to refuse him furlough. He has a child and another on the way. 

I don't think places were legally obliged to give anyone furlough. Furlough wasn't meant to be for isolating (I assume that's what you're referencing(, it was meant to be for paying people while demand for work dropped off.

I'm no expert but even though the workplace sound like they're being dicks, they're probably legally fine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

One of the lads down our place has been refused furlough. He’s on the books so is entitled to it, but our firm has said it’s too late now. He apparently sent one of the bosses a link to show him that he’s entitled to it, but they said take it as holiday or on the sick , but no furlough. I haven’t really looked at the furlough rules as it doesn’t effect me, but it seems very wrong of them to refuse him furlough. He has a child and another on the way. 

I'm not sure employees can decide to go on furlough. It could be that its too late to register him on the furlough scheme if he hasn't been on it already.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Furlough is for businesses that can’t trade during the pandemic or have such a drop in demand due to government guidelines.

Employees can’t request that their isolation periods are booked to the furlough scheme. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

Furlough is for businesses that can’t trade during the pandemic or have such a drop in demand due to government guidelines.

Employees can’t request that their isolation periods are booked to the furlough scheme. 

Nothing to stop employers booking people on holiday onto the furlough scheme though

Govt pays 60% of wages if its a holiday on furlough I think

This difference in approach doesn't seem to make much difference in outcome, or at least it's no more important than other factors combined, as the covid situation in Scotland is far better than in England, despite people choosing not to report positive tests.

Vox pop on BBC Breakfast.

"I'm not getting the vaccine yet because I suffer from severe asthma and I want to see some clinical trials on that first."

"You know Coronavirus can be terrible for people with severe asthma?"

"Yeah, I'm really sceptical...really sceptical."

🤦‍♂️

28 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Promising

Who’d have thunk it? A week after the news is full of stories about a pingdemic and everyone is saying they’re going to delete the app, the numbers start to drop. :detect:

• Like 1

Much fewer tests done though. Who knows, it could be that some level of herd immunity has been reached sharper than expected. Or it could be that half of all pupils being off school from 2 weeks ago had the effect of closing schools early and breaking the link.

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Much fewer tests done though. Who knows, it could be that some level of herd immunity has been reached sharper than expected. Or it could be that half of all pupils being off school from 2 weeks ago had the effect of closing schools early and breaking the link.

Add in the heatwave and everyone being outside as a factor too

• Like 1

The Scotland numbers appear to be declining since July 1st, looking at that graph, not sure that decline can be answered with well yeah hot weather, less testing, school holibobs etc.... That said I expect England to have a different old time, given the mentler in charge of the country. 

Â