Generic Virus Thread

villakram

42 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

It’s not even a PCR test mate; I’m in Majorca at the moment and basically you pay £40 odd quid for a lateral flow that is identical to the ones you can get over the counter for free in a pharmacy. You then have a video “interview” with an advisor who watches you swab your throat then you essentially show them the test on the screen and providing it’s showing as negative, your certificate to travel is issued. It’s comical! 

That's thorough that is.  When we were coming back from Kos, we did a lateral flow, took a picture of the result, uploaded it and then after 24hrs got a fit to return certificate.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

That's thorough that is.  When we were coming back from Kos, we did a lateral flow, took a picture of the result, uploaded it and then after 24hrs got a fit to return certificate.

Hardly fool proof is it! With them being the same as the NHS ones it would be easy to have a “here’s one I did earlier” negative test if you had concerns that you’d return a positive and wanted to get home. 

I went to Kos in September funnily enough and the frequency of their random Covid checks that they conducted on arrival very much depended on the time. I got there about 11:30 and the only nurse there was sat on her phone scrolling through Facebook. 

One in four patients classed as a Covid hospitalisation is being treated for other reasons, official data reveal, prompting claims that the public has been misled.

For the first time, the NHS national stocktake establishes how many patients categorised as Covid hospitalisations had another primary cause of admission. The data shows that of 5,021 patients currently classed as hospitalised by Covid, 1,166 were admitted for other reasons. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/29/hospital-figures-covid-cases-misleading/

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

My daughter has had covid for about a week now. She is 23 and was fully vaccinated in March as she is a nurse. She hasn't been too bad aching all over, really tired all the time and she has lost her sense of taste and smell. He boyfriend, also 23, who she lives with, tested positive a couple of days ago. He has had one jab and was due his second one this week but this will now be delayed as I think you have to be covid free for 3 weeks. He has only had relatively mild symptoms so far. 

It’s almost as if there’s just zero consistency to any of it. Total luck of the draw with or without the vaccine.

At 23 years old, would either of them suffered any worse had they had no jabs? Who knows.

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s almost as if there’s just zero consistency to any of it. Total luck of the draw with or without the vaccine.

At 23 years old, would either of them suffered any worse had they had no jabs? Who knows.

I don't know mate. When I found out she had it though, although still worried, I felt far more comfortable/less concerned knowing she was fully vaccinated.

Edited by markavfc40

47 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

My elder daughter and her husband (both in their mid-30s) had covid before any vaccinations. They felt pretty shit for a couple of weeks, but no worse than that. As you say, luck of the draw. 

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My elder daughter and her husband (both in their mid-30s) had covid before any vaccinations. They felt pretty shit for a couple of weeks, but no worse than that. As you say, luck of the draw. 

Was that the original variant though? I believe this Delta variant is a bit nastier and more likely to cause damage to younger people, especially long Covid. 

• Like 1

Just spoke to one of the younger lads down our yard. He’s early 20s and not vaccinated . He was in bed for 4 days with it. He’s got rid of it now and although he’s fine, he said he’s out of breath when he exerts himself. It’s only been 2 weeks since he had it though. 

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

Was that the original variant though? I believe this Delta variant is a bit nastier and more likely to cause damage to younger people, especially long Covid. 

I guess it was, yeah. Good point. 

Edited by mjmooney

Â