Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Wasn’t he taking advice off people who were far more knowledgeable about the situation? 

Clearly not.

He was probably offered advice. I’d imagine he even managed to watch the news now and again. But clearly didn’t connect the risk with a need to change his opinions or actions. 

Lots of us tend to think we are immortal. All the others are hypochondriacs.

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was concerned but didn’t think it would get like this. 

Your posts from the first few pages of this thread give the impression of being the exact opposite of concerned. 

Tell you something though it shows us how fragile the human race is. Something small fry like this poxy virus.  Easy to see how the world could get wiped out by something much more deadly and something a whole lot bigger.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Tell you something though it shows us how fragile the human race is. Something small fry like this poxy virus.  Easy to see how the world could get wiped out by something much more deadly and something a whole lot bigger.

That's possibly the one good thing to come out of this. Sure it's spread to rediculous levels but in real terms it hasn't actually killed many people, 2/3 months in & we are still at barely half the amount of people that die every single day. Hopefully this will mean that we are far better prepared for something that may be far more lethal in future with companies like dyson/f1 teams etc all now able to get up and running production wise on completely unusual things within days and you would think that other factories etc will be looking at what they can do and supermarkets/amazon will have a far better idea of what instant chaos looks like and how to avoid/prevent it happening again. Probably also needs someone somewhere to throw away a few patents on things to allow any/everyone to produce things en masse in cases of emergency

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Regarding all this too casual, should have dealt with is sooner. I think that 90% of all countries are actually doing the same thing.  They all basically know how contagious it is, they actually know they can't stop it.  All that they are doing is ALLOWING it to get to a certain level based on complicated scientific formulas based around their desire to maintain the economy and their estimates of their medical capabilities.  If they shut down too early they will have to stop/start too many times.  

I believe their plan is to keep it on slow burn then let it out again (open the Country up again) until it reaches another critical level before shutting up again.  They are still basically heading for herd immunity but in a controlled manner so the health service isn't overwhelmed. 

China are opening up now.  You wait for the second phase they will be back into lockdown. 

They might have shied away from actually stating herd immunity is the end game because it got such a negative reaction but I think that's what basically every government is aiming for.  They didn't reign it in sooner because they hadn't hit their trigger points then. 

Yes, there's a lot of truth to that, though I think slowing it down gives you more options than you've mentioned there - there's the vaccine at some point, there's therapeutics, there's the ability to do contact trace and testing etc. But your fundamental point that, until there's a vaccine, 'herd immunity' is the only way out of this is right.

(As a side point, I hope one consequence of this virus is scientists rethinking the phrase 'herd immunity'. At least part of the negative reaction people have to it is that nobody likes being compared to cattle).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

That's possibly the one good thing to come out of this. Sure it's spread to rediculous levels but in real terms it hasn't actually killed many people, 2/3 months in & we are still at barely half the amount of people that die every single day. Hopefully this will mean that we are far better prepared for something that may be far more lethal in future with companies like dyson/f1 teams etc all now able to get up and running production wise on completely unusual things within days and you would think that other factories etc will be looking at what they can do and supermarkets/amazon will have a far better idea of what instant chaos looks like and how to avoid/prevent it happening again. Probably also needs someone somewhere to throw away a few patents on things to allow any/everyone to produce things en masse in cases of emergency

This is my take on it. Be better prepared next time. Stop doing silly things that encourage this kind of thing. Also the planet is having a bit of a breather from us too. Hopefully we can start to love Mother Earth a bit more. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Awol said:

We’re getting a sneak peak of what antibiotic resistance could look like. 

Once this is all over, hopefully researchers will get funded to the gills to develop new ones as a public health priority. 

You’d think so wouldn’t you. This has gave us a preview to how the big one would effect us. There will be worse viruses to come yet I bet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Hopefully we can start to love Mother Earth a bit more.

Not a chance, in my view.

If/when this thing gets cracked, there will be as much industrial polution produced as is humanly possible in an attempt to get economies going and make up lost ground..

• Like 4

That Covid can do the wealthy makes it more likely that something positive might happen, as far as future outbreak containment procedures and resources go anyway.

The big wealthy will resist necessary changes to an economy for Momma Earth, cos they got there by hook or crook and want their cash, so f*** you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Can anyone explain why Germany death is so low?

I wouldn't want to comment on numbers cos they're all over the place. 

They do make a lot of medical kit everyone's been short of, as well as being their usual well organised, funded and modern medical selves.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just read them. Bit of humour, bit of disgust for Chinese people. I was concerned but not worried. Now I’m worried and not concerned. Still think in two months we’ll be getting back to normal.

I think it's about time to be concerned and worried. This thing is killing people of all ages and backgrounds. There's loads of people with more casual feelings towards this than you, that's what I find concerning and worrying. 

• Like 1

Â