Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It’s certainly a worry for the UK, but I’m not sure what it is about Italy that makes them such an outlier in this respect?

Mrs Sidcow earlier today mentioned the cheek kissing welcome.  Because of that it has probably gone through the population like wildfire.  You basically spread your germs all over both cheeks of one person then somebody else immediately does the same thing.  Imagine a group of 6 people greeting each other. 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Mrs Sidcow earlier today mentioned the cheek kissing welcome.  Because of that it has probably gone through the population like wildfire.  You basically spread your germs all over both cheeks of one person then somebody else immediately does the same thing.  Imagine a group of 6 people greeting each other. 

The UK is tracking above Italy in the deaths column, it’s just a bit behind in the timeline.

image.png.34a20095430d0c51bb0c022ca6160172.png

Apparently there are a number of factories in North Italy with strong links to Wuhan so they were the first place in Europe to get contamination. Then it spread to the rest of Europe, largely via tourists returning home from the ski fields and Milan fashion week.

I'm not quite understanding why we haven't closed the borders from the world, only allowing citizens to return into 14 day isolation.

As an island we are in a much stronger position than most European countries.

Allow cargo to move in and out, allow citizens to return but close off the borders and stop further cases of the virus coming into the country. In a week when things ramp up call a mandatory 14 day isolation to kill the virus off.

I may be wrong in what I'm saying but it seems the next logical route to me. Unfortunately it will have huge effects on the economy.

• Like 1

Don't really play as a major Virus. Killing 2700 people in China, even though the population is 1.5 billion. Those figures are either bullshit, or we are getting a bit carried away.

Have to say the scaremongering on here is worse than facebook. It's unpresidented yes, the black death it isn't. In the end people are dying with ConV not of ConV. Italy have one of the highest elderly population by percentage in Europe, that's why they are struggling. The problem seems to be how we were not ready for it in the first place not really the Virus in it's self, I mean in reality terms are we helping the NHS or ourselves. But don't take this the wrong way, I am taking this very serious, maybe though because I don't want to spread it or catch it. But then if people had a chance they would probably keep away from anyone with influeza too.

2 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Yep me too mate, I'm on here and an Ibiza forum and that is it. I can't be arsed to listen to the morons on any of the other platforms, on here you can choose so many sections of topic that you really dont need to any of the others like facebook etc. 

Hopefully people wise up to the absolute bull s**t that is spouted on them platforms by millions every minute of every day. Maybe this is the worldwide event that will change a little bit of lives for the good with this kind of stuff. 

Being on here is so much better, I actually learn stuff off here. This thread has been all I have read about the Coronavirus, and whether i agree or not with peoples opinions the debate is still full of info and opinions you can at least respect. Some of the articles posted in here are from sources I have never knew existed! 

Up The Villa Talk !

It's the only thing I do too. Been thinking about maybe joining Facebook purely incase the isolation gets too oppressive. 

I'm in a few what's app groups and those have seen massive increases in posts this week as everyone has started working from home (which says a lot about what people are doing when they should be working). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Funny reading peoples comments.

I went to the park today and it was full of people, it's ridiculous. 

I went to the shops today and it was rammed with people, it's getting out of hand.

I went to the beach today, couldn't believe how many idiots were there.

You were also there... 

Mrs forced us out today on a long walk with the dogs. It was in the sticks but a lot of people on the route walking their dogs. 

I have been having serious worries about this whole thing. I am not going near a queue or a shop for a long long time. I actually think I have developed a complex already as I used to have a thing about being in large groups of people or queues. That is coming back 100% worse.

Anyway.... I think if you are sensible you can walk outside you should go outside. Just don't be words removed. Stay away from the mouth breathers, no enclosed spaces, keep your distance at all times. 

I think only now my gf is starting to get it. 

Not sure if this has already been posted. But 14 days lockdown is the only way we are going to beat this in a short amount of time. But could we trust the human race to do it, I very much doubt it.

Edited by foreveryoung

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's the only thing I do too. Been thinking about maybe joining Facebook purely incase the isolation gets too oppressive. 

I'm in a few what's app groups and those have seen massive increases in posts this week as everyone has started working from home (which says a lot about what people are doing when they should be working). 

I have never in the 8 years I've been off considered going back on it again tbh, can understand why people do stay on there. For example my partner has family in Tasmania and other parts of the world. She also takes a lot of photos etc which she likes to post up. I for one cant stand photos and in general am fairly private. I keep in touch with those who I want to via phone etc.

At times like this I just find it as bad as the media, people posting a couple of empty shelves when the rest of the shop Is full, as somebody posted in here earlier. It's just not for me, I enjoy the madness on here far more... at least on the whole its fairly educated !

6 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I really hope someone is getting some decent 4k+ drone footage of all the empty towns & cities

I was thinking about this earlier, but for the countryside. During foot and mouth the amount of plants and birds that returned was amazing, with minimal human movement and pollution during spring that’s likely to happen again.

Time-lapse video with a drone would be great to see. 

Edited by Awol

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Don't really play as a major Virus. Killing 2700 people in China, even though the population is 1.5 billion. Those figures are either bullshit, or we are getting a bit carried away.

Have to say the scaremongering on here is worse than facebook. It's unpresidented yes, the black death it isn't. In the end people are dying with ConV not of ConV. Italy have one of the highest elderly population by percentage in Europe, that's why they are struggling. The problem seems to be how we were not ready for it in the first place not really the Virus in it's self, I mean in reality terms are we helping the NHS or ourselves. But don't take this the wrong way, I am taking this very serious, maybe though because I don't want to spread it or catch it. But then if people had a chance they would probably keep away from anyone with influeza too.

Yeah the world is in lock down and millions of people are going to die but it's all scaremongering. 

The rest of this post is pure shite.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Thing is, the plaague is treatable with modern science and we would be able to detect it rapidly and quell its spread. You can't really compare an illness from the middle ages to an illness today. If coronavirus had struck then it could easily have been as bad, just look at the mortality rates of the Spanish Flu in 1918 which is probably the closest analogue we have to covid-19.

Why are people so against scaremongering? At the very least it makes people think before they act and the most it makes people not leave their homes.  Whether it’s over the top scaremongering or not the way I see it is it will only help the situation.

Not sure why it’s still bothering people.

Â