The Royal Family

Genie

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

The Australian Monarchist League. You just know every single one of them is a pervert. And not in a good way.

Damn and there was me hoping we could export dome gammon when the new trade deal we don't have yet kicks in. Seems they have enough already

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Are we currently allowed to visit relatives in hospital?

I missed that change to the rules for everyone.

Most hospitals allow it for near death patients. Of course he's in a private hospital so I guess they can decide. 

It may be an indication of just how ill he is. 

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Most hospitals allow it for near death patients. Of course he's in a private hospital so I guess they can decide. 

It may be an indication of just how ill he is. 

Apparently last time he was in hospital (for 5 days) he didn’t have any visitors at all (at his own request). 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to love reading about royal families at school.  Their thirst for power driving them to connive and kill, banishing their enemies to maintain their ill-gotten grip over the country.

On an unrelated note, really interesting to see all the negative press Meghan and Harry are getting at the moment.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I used to love reading about royal families at school.  Their thirst for power driving them to connive and kill, banishing their enemies to maintain their ill-gotten grip over the country.

On an unrelated note, really interesting to see all the negative press Meghan and Harry are getting at the moment.

I've just been having a long discussion with the Canadian missus about this, and I feel like this is the first time she has really seen how fundamentally nasty our media is, and really understood it, and seeing it through her eyes is pretty interesting. Some of her comments from this conversation:

• 'It's the morning after the budget in like the worst year of everyone's lives, why is this getting equal time on breakfast TV?'
  • 'Who **** cares what royal correspondents think?'
  • 'The way they talk about black American women is really telling. You should hear the way they talk about Oprah. She hasn't been a 'chatshow host' for years.'
  • 'The only people I've ever heard talk about it were white women our parent's age in Blackheath'

etc etc.

I'm left to explain that she's literally witnessing Britain's power structure closing ranks, and it's kind of depressing to say out loud.

I'm struggling to articulate a thought on this, so maybe this is jumbled or wrong, but -

I'm 34 now. I was either 10 or 11 when Diana died, so I remember the endless wailing about it, I remember 'Candle In The Wind' and Blair going emo, and at the time it felt like there was this big backlash against the media. I remember there was a conspiracy theory that Old Phil had her murdered and I feel like I remember that being spoken about quite widely - I remember it was a plot point on 'Jeffrey Archer: The Truth' for instance. But somehow, in the intervening quarter of a century, I guess the Palace's PR operation must have gotten so much better or something? Because it must be many of the same people who were fuming about the media 'driving Diana to her death' who are now angrily denouncing Meghan Markle, and it's kind of weird how they've ended up on the opposite side of the argument seemingly without noticing it has happened? Or am I wrong, and is my recollection of the late 1990s incorrect?

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

But somehow, in the intervening quarter of a century, I guess the Palace's PR operation must have gotten so much better or something? Because it must be many of the same people who were fuming about the media 'driving Diana to her death' who are now angrily denouncing Meghan Markle, and it's kind of weird how they've ended up on the opposite side of the argument seemingly without noticing it has happened? Or am I wrong, and is my recollection of the late 1990s incorrect?

Looking at the type of rags that obsess with the royalty, I think it's fair to say that there's one key difference between Meghan and Diana. A blonde, white Meghan does not get the media treatment that she has over the past few years.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Looking at the type of rags that obsess with the royalty, I think it's fair to say that there's one key difference between Meghan and Diana. A blonde, white Meghan does not get the media treatment that she has over the past few years.

It really is that simple, isn't it?

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

It really is that simple, isn't it?

Honestly, I think so.

I'm certainly not claiming anyone with an axe to grind against a specific black person must be a racist, obviously not, but there seems to be a lot of overlap between the types of newspapers that constantly lay into Meghan, while flattering Kate. I'm sure someone posted a direct comparison between very similar coverage of Kate/Meghan with polar opposite editorial lines.

I'll admit I've not got detailed analysis on it, but from a casual observation, they also seem to be the same papers that always seem to have a grudge against Marcus Rashford too.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To a lesser extent, add in Meghan coming from the US. It’s just another thing that separates her from Diana, Kate... she’s not “one of us”. How dare this non British interloper join the royal family like she’s better than us... that kind of thinking. 

Although if they were to consider it, I suspect her upbringing was far closer to us “ordinary people” than either Kate’s or Diana’s was.

Â