The Royal Family

Genie

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

but soon enough that the current left wing government are still in charge. 

Left wing is a bit of a reach!

I often wonder what's in it for countries like Canada in the Commonwealth, I don't think there are any trade advantages and I think ultimately it's just a chance to adopt a part of another culture and take part in our big game of dress up.

Do they gain much in terms of freedoms by losing that?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Left wing is a bit of a reach!

I often wonder what's in it for countries like Canada in the Commonwealth, I don't think there are any trade advantages and I think ultimately it's just a chance to adopt a part of another culture and take part in our big game of dress up.

Do they gain much in terms of freedoms by losing that?

Well it’s not ‘adopting’ a culture. It IS the culture, the only one the country has known. It would be a significant step into the cultural unknown to to become a republic. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

RIP Queen Elizabeth.

From a Republic fan.

Seconded. RIP Elizabeth.

Interesting watching CNN this evening, as an outsider's take. It seems as though she was kind of the world's defacto mum. The yanks seem quite shocked by it all too.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Very strange to see royalists/monarchists in a supposed first world country in the 21st century.

I wonder if her face is still going to be on our currency now 🤔

Don’t need to print any new bills, current ones covered in Charlie anyway

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It is the start of the end of days, fire and brimstone will hail down on the sinners who covert the lap dancing club and fleshly pursuits. The Lord has opened the ledger and it is now time to pay, vengance shall be his

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

This is the time for progressive nations to become republics (Australia, NZ, Canada).

Park the "Common"wealth nonsense and move forward.

What does the commonwealth even mean though. Is it not just a loose affiliation of countries that kind of share the same values? The Queen had absolutely no influence on laws in Australia or elsewhere (not even in the UK), even if she was referred to as 'head of state'.

And when I was in New Zealand, it seemed to me that they more interested in the Queen than we were. 

15 minutes ago, ccfcman said:

No need for me to do that, you're well able to read yourself.

A highly developed nation, complex and mature economy, healthcare and social policies that are mostly citizen centric, a highly educated workforce, centralised pension plans. I mean, I can go on, it is objectively a progressive nation irrespective of routinely electing the likes of Scott Morrison and Gladys Berejiklian.

And the loonie! Maybe we could put a Trudeau on them :D 

Fair enough. It really depends what countries you’re comparing it to, imo, but I won’t derail the thread by expanding any further on that!

Â