Tom13

25 minutes ago, allani said:

Doesn't Emery own a club in Spain?  Not sure how good they are or what division they are in.

Yeah, he owns Real Union.  I think his father and grandfather played for them. 

Edited by duke313

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Championship clubs aren't interested in loaning academy players. The likes of Mason Mount or Abraham or Tomori were premier league standard players when they went on loan. Even the Man United guy on loan at Sunderland is considered to be good enough for United's first team. MK Dons is as high a level a player like Barry will get a club to take him on loan.

Neither of them were PL players at all. They made their name at Derby but people want to rewrite history as if Derby got world class proven players. Nobody had barely heard of them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Neither of them were PL players at all. They made their name at Derby but people want to rewrite history as if Derby got world class proven players. Nobody had barely heard of them.

I struggle to remember Tammy Abraham, who had played in the premier league and scored 5 times for Swansea before he joined Championship Aston Villa, ever playing for Derby. 

The actual Derby players mentioned, fair enough. 

Mason Mount and Fikayo Tomori were already established at first team level before they signed for Derby, Tomori had already played thirty plus games in the Championship, and Mount had had a season in Dutch top flight playing for Vitesse Arnhem, he did very wel as well, scoring nine and assisting nine in twenty-nine games, he also played for them in Europa League, those two were a big coup for Derby, probably only possible because of Lampard connection.

That said there are several academy players in the Championship this season that aren't established at first team level, two of them from us Aaron Ramsey (now recalled), and Iroegbunam, then others like Charlie Patino, Liam Delap, and others so it does happen.

But for someone his age League One isn't actually a bad level, he's dong well to be getting game time, those his age playing in the Championship is more of an exception, and even more so in the Premier League.

Just had a quick look and Shola Shoretire, Jarell Quansah, Lewis Dobbin, Daniel Oyegoke, Lewis Bate, Dane Scarlett, and Thierry Small are other well regarded youngsters of a similar age to Barry,  currently on loan in League One, there are quite a few more on loan from PL teams, but those are the ones I recognize from England youth squads.

So it's not like being an academy player on loan to a division below Championship is any kind of disgrace, if a player is getting game time at that level at eighteen or nineteen then they're doing better than most in the same age range, probably fair to say they're well on course to having a career in the game as a professional, and are in the small percentage of those that have a chance of making it at an high level.

• Like 1

Not in the MK Dons squad tonight, I can't find any information on him being injured, was dropped to the bench at weekend and replaced with new signing Jonathan Leko. I wonder if we're recalling him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lexicon said:

From what I read on an MK Dons forum, his physique is his main issue - he's still too slight for men's football and is struggling because of it. 

Wasn't a problem at Swindon last season, 6 goals in half a season.

Think Leyton Orient would be a good loan. Top but they're really struggling to score currently and a few of their forwards are injured.

58 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Wasn't a problem at Swindon last season, 6 goals in half a season.

Think Leyton Orient would be a good loan. Top but they're really struggling to score currently and a few of their forwards are injured.

It wasn't a problem in a lower league (I assume his technical ability got him by) but that's what happens when players go up the pyramid - it gets more demanding. 

• Like 1

On 25/01/2023 at 11:15, lexicon said:

From what I read on an MK Dons forum, his physique is his main issue - he's still too slight for men's football and is struggling because of it. 

It's the part I worry about, with him.

Its ok, if you are exceptional, like Michael owen was, Messi too is diminuitive, but, they had/have the minerals/ingredients to get out of trouble, and put defenders in trouble, they are exceptional examples, to make the point.....He has to find the equivalent of a USP in his game, to give him goals.

It's well documented, that I put great store in to Physicality, and I make no apologies for doing so, but in balance, exceptional ball control, vision, football nous, can compensate for a lack of it, to a degree.

Louie is only young, still, and I am not concluding my view on him.....but he has to find an outcome to his game.....He has to find a way to beat defenders and score goals.

How they score goals, is not that important, but the regularity is.

Edited by TRO

I think we need to get the lad away from MK, it's like Ipswich all over again with them. I wonder if someone like Walsall would give him games? If we can't do that he would be better off with our U21s than kicking his heels down there. 

He has had twenty-two league games for MK Dons and plenty of starts and minutes within those appearances, so it's not as if he hasn't been given a chance, quite the opposite, we don't know what's going on these last few games as above he could just be injured. Will have to see what happens second half of the season, if he's still with them then maybe the extra competition will bring out the best in him, or maybe it will allow them to try him through the middle even if just from the bench, and see how that goes.

I'm sure the club will have been in touch with them and asked for assurances that he's still going to get game time, so if he isn't recalled in the next few days I will presume that we've got those assurances.

18 minutes ago, John said:

I think we need to get the lad away from MK, it's like Ipswich all over again with them. I wonder if someone like Walsall would give him games? If we can't do that he would be better off with our U21s than kicking his heels down there. 

2 League 1 teams he hasnt done much at now. Probably needs go back to League 2 for a full season

Put Cameron Archer in a team like MK Dons, one of the worst in their division, and play him on the wing, and I bet he wouldn't do much better.

Edit: This not meant as a criticism of Archer, just an illustration of how difficult it is for young players to go in struggling lower league sides and to stand out.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Last season people were claiming that Aaron Ramsey wasn't doing well at Cheltenham in League One, and using quotes from their fans as evidence, this season he went to the Championship and was one of the better players for a team challenging for promotion, point is I think you have to be careful how you judge young players on loan at lower league clubs, just because they aren't looking like world beaters doesn't mean to say that they aren't doing well, or aren't developing, or need to drop down a level.

• Like 4

Â