VillaTalk Deadpool 2020

Xela

I can highly recommend Vice's Dark Side of the Ring series for more on the 'inside' story on professional wrestling. They cover a bunch of different topics, the new series which starts soon covers topics such as Benoit and Fall Brawl. 

To a lesser extent there's also their series The Wrestlers, which has a life after wrestling episode - as well as episodes focusing on DDT (wacky Japanese promotion), Joshi (women's professional wrestling in Japan) and Death Match wrestling (Kas-ay-ee! Kas-ay-ee!) 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, hogso said:

I can highly recommend Vice's Dark Side of the Ring series for more on the 'inside' story on professional wrestling. They cover a bunch of different topics, the new series which starts soon covers topics such as Benoit and Fall Brawl

To a lesser extent there's also their series The Wrestlers, which has a life after wrestling episode - as well as episodes focusing on DDT (wacky Japanese promotion), Joshi (women's professional wrestling in Japan) and Death Match wrestling (Kas-ay-ee! Kas-ay-ee!) 

What was wrong with Fall Brawl, or do you mean the Brawl for All tournament, which was absolutely an insane idea, especially when they threw the winner in with Butterbean?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

What was wrong with Fall Brawl, or do you mean the Brawl for All tournament, which was absolutely an insane idea, especially when they threw the winner in with Butterbean?

I see from the Wikipedia article on Brawl for All that Bob Holly claimed the fight with Butterbean was punishment for beating the fighter the company wanted to win, which if true would be absolutely scandalous. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I see from the Wikipedia article on Brawl for All that Bob Holly claimed the fight with Butterbean was punishment for beating the fighter the company wanted to win, which if true would be absolutely scandalous. 

I know more about wrestling than I should but it was supposed to be a big push for 'Dr Death' Steve Williams (who incidentally died over ten years ago). Dr Death had a reputation for being a tough guy and was apparently a 'legit' 'shoot' fighter. Bart Gunn won the tournament and sparked out Dr Death on route. 

Bart Gunn was clearly a guy who could punch but Butterbean was a pro boxer with over 50 fights at the time, competing in the 'super heavyweight division'. Not a top boxer but a pro and could really, really punch. Here's the 'fight' below, very dangerous. Scandalous that it wasn't stopped after the first knockdown.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

Someone should probably open a wrestling thread or something?

The rate they die at I'd expect a Deadpool thread to become a wrestling one.

PS.  Keep Royal Rumble spoilers out of here (assuming nobody died on it).

• Haha 1

Keep Royal rumble out of here as there is a thread dedicated to wrestling. 

On reflection that appears like an arsehole when not intended to be. 

Edited by Seat68

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I never realised just how much they have to work outside of the TV shows until recently.  That said I thought Kurt Angle seemed in a decent place when he came back last year.  I've not seen him much recently though.

I think he's in a good place now. He's openly talked about it a number of times.

It's just how well his body can cope with the abuse he gave it, both in the ring (pre and during his professional wrestling career) and in terms of the drugs.

13 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Haha, yes, you're absolutely right - the episode is to be dedicated to the stop Ry behind the Brawl for All tournament. I got the two mixed up, some how. 

It's not a topic I know an awful lot about. What I do know is that 'shootfighting' certainly wasn't without precedent by the time Brawl for All came round (Pancrase being the obvious example, UFC had been around for a few years by 98 too which Shamrock and Severn had been early stars in of course), were they trying to cash in on that? Guess I'll watch the show and find out. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I think if I recall they influenced the beach boys in some way. Them and Jan and Dean. 

Looking at their Wiki page, the amount of artists that cite them as an influence is like a who's who of the music biz, Dylan, Crosby and Stills, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Abba.... many more

Elektra records might have gone under without them and Gibson guitars started to sell in much bigger numbers when the band started using them.

I'd never heard of them either

• Like 1

I guess it's an age thing, but I'm a little disappointed that people haven't at least heard of the Kingston Trio. They were bigger in America than here, but they were pretty much responsible for popularising (US) folk music in the late 50s. My Dad liked the song "Tom Dooley" - his mates at the factory used to sing "Hang down your head Tom Mooney, poor boy you're gonna die". Their version of "Sloop John B" was covered by the Beach Boys, and guitarist/banjo player Dave Guard was the prime influence on the playing of Fleetwood Mac's Lindsay Buckingham (should be two big ticks for rjw63 right there). Later member John Stewart wrote "Daydream Believer" (covered by The Monkees), and produced a series of superb albums in his own right. I met him a couple of times, and he was a top bloke. 

• Like 2

Â