Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

Django is very good, and the Kill Bills are daft but enjoyable enough.

His highs are very high, and his worst films are still decent, just not classics

In the age of every other big budget film being some comic book bullshit ( though, I do appreciate there are films being made outside of Hollywood) he's one of my favourite big names even if he's a bit of a tool.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Django is very good, and the Kill Bills are daft but enjoyable enough.

His highs are very high, and his worst films are still decent, just not classics

In the age of every other big budget film being some comic book bullshit ( though, I do appreciate there are films being made outside of Hollywood) he's one of my favourite big names even if he's a bit of a tool.

I like Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dog's and even True Romance as loosely one of his but I don't think any have completely held up against the test of time (maybe my tastes have changed).

The rest, even supposed greats like Django or OUATIH I thought were average at best. 

It was actually Django that made me post originally,  as for some reason clips are popping up constantly as shorts on my YouTube feed. Today's was Will Smith talking about how he turned the role down as he wanted to make it a love story.

It was an interview about the music that turned me off.

He said he only collected originals, he absolutely wasn’t interested in re runs or later issues of any kind, he had to have first release originals for his juke box… because he wasn’t a hobo. He went on in similar style dissing people that were happy to have any old copy of things. Prick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It was an interview about the music that turned me off.

He said he only collected originals, he absolutely wasn’t interested in re runs or later issues of any kind, he had to have first release originals for his juke box… because he wasn’t a hobo. He went on in similar style dissing people that were happy to have any old copy of things. Prick.

yep, very knobby. He does, however, have a good knowledge and decent taste

If he wants first pressings only, he's a knob

• Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 09:13, BOF said:

For me it's more the if you ever want to go anywhere for any length of time, you need to arrange getting the **** thing minded, or bring it with you. 

fight-club-brad-pitt.gif

On 30/06/2023 at 15:27, Davkaus said:

A guy I work with has a caravan and is out and about with it all the time. A couple of months ago he said he'd been away in the caravan with the whole family (wife and 3 kids) for the weekend. Asked where he'd been, and he was literally in a field 15 minutes from home, just enjoying the caravan. **** mental to me :D 

I kind of get this. 

My Grandparents had a static caravan in Bewdley for years. It was only 20 miles away from where they lived in Ladywood, in central Brum, but felt like another world! The caravan had views of the rolling Worcestershire countryside and the Wyre Forest not far away, while their house was in an area, in later years, that became classed as one of the poorest/deprived areas in the UK. It was an oasis for them and the fact it was so local meant they could make decide to go there without the need for any planning. If the weather looked good, they could just head off there and be there in 45 mins. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Xela said:

My Grandparents had a static caravan in Bewdley for years. It was only 20 miles away from where they lived in Ladywood, in central Brum, but felt like another world! The caravan had views of the rolling Worcestershire countryside and the Wyre Forest not far away, while their house was in an area, in later years, that became classed as one of the poorest/deprived areas in the UK. It was an oasis for them

Yes. We have a whole state devoted to this. It's called Florida ... apart from the travel times, the concept is the same, and there are actually lots of caravans there, too. 😉  (And it's where my English dad and some Brum relatives live now.)

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes. We have a whole state devoted to this. It's called Florida ... apart from the travel times, the concept is the same, and there are actually lots of caravans there, too. 😉  (And it's where my English dad and some Brum relatives live now.)

My Lord, comparing Bewdley and the rolling Worcestershire countryside to the swamp hell-hole that is Florida should be a banning offense.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

My Lord, comparing Bewdley and the rolling Worcestershire countryside to the swamp hell-hole that is Florida should be a banning offense.

Haha. My dad's from Bewdley, so maybe he ought to be banned, too. But older people in older towns moving to prettier (or better weather?) places, it happens ... and I agree with you that Worcs (and Salop) are gorgeous places.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

On 01/07/2023 at 10:58, mjmooney said:

Must admit, I absolutely love R. Dogs, Pulp Fiction and OUATIH, and am (at best) indifferent to the rest. 

Jackie Brown is close to being underrated at this stage

I think he's got a lot of good films that I want to watch again but know full well I wont watch again, OUATIH H8 IB and RD I've only seen once, django twice, PF and JB maybe 3 times, its only really kill bill that I've watched several times (and i love it)

edit - can tell you that me and my german wife are currently teaching our 3 year old to count so im reminded of the IB beer ordering scene on a weekly basis and its genius, if thats not a tale he's stumbled upon, if thats something that he just knew and wrote himself then thats nuts

Edited by villa4europe

I dont think I will ever watch Once Upon A Time I Hollywood again, I watched it once and that was enough. Resevoir Dogs I have seen a few times and I thought it was OK, every other film by Tarantino I have watched, rewatched and rewatched. I love his work and never feel a single watch is enough. OUATIH being the exception.

• Like 1

Â