Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

9 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think Norm Macdonald was king of cringe!

Different kind of cringe though. Norm was the best at saying the absolute wrong thing.

:crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I was brought up in  Wolverhampton but moved to Brum in my 20's.  

The difference is quite clear to someone with experience of both.  

100%.

Where we grew up you could tell the difference between folks who came from Tipton, Dudley, West Brom, Netherton, Old Hill, Halesowen, and a load more. There is hardly any distance between all of these. Some were stark differences. 

• Like 2

I have never heard a Brummy use the following- 

Donny  -   Hold my donny.

Os -   I lost £50 on an os. 

Yed-    I was hit on the yed.

Scrammel -  that scrammel barked all night. 

Translation Quiz. 

If yowm saft enuff ter cum dahn ere agooin wum, yowr tay ull b spilt. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Added details
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I have never heard a Brummy use the following- 

Donny  -   Hold my donny.

Os -   I lost £50 on an os. 

Yed-    I was hit on the yed.

Scrammel -  that scrammel barked all night. 

Do brummies say that 'it's dark over Bill's Mothers' when it looks like it's about to rain?

Also do they have bostin?

We used to use whammel for dog in Darby End.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

100%.

Where we grew up you could tell the difference between folks who came from Tipton, Dudley, West Brom, Netherton, Old Hill, Halesowen, and a load more. There is hardly any distance between all of these. Some were stark differences. 

None of which I would dispute. But you're born and raised in the area. Whereas to anyone from a different part of the country, it's all much of a Brummie muchness. 

I'm sure you'd take the word of a Yorkshireman that they can tell Barnsley from Bradford from Leeds from Richmond - but I'll bet that to you, it all sounds just... Yorkshire. 

Britain is rich in accents and dialects that vary within surprisingly small areas, but for practical purposes, we all tend to group them - northeast England is 'geordie', Merseyside is 'scouse', London is 'cockney', the west country is 'wurzel', etc. And I'm OK with that. I know that Wolverhampton has a different twang to Birmingham, but I also accept that the West Midlands is to most people's ears... Brummie. 

Obviously I didn't expect this forum to agree, hence putting it in this thread (for more nuanced discussion, ser the accents thread). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

None of which I would dispute. But you're born and raised in the area. Whereas to anyone from a different part of the country, it's all much of a Brummie muchness. 

I'm sure you'd take the word of a Yorkshireman that they can tell Barnsley from Bradford from Leeds from Richmond - but I'll bet that to you, it all sounds just... Yorkshire. 

Britain is rich in accents and dialects that vary within surprisingly small areas, but for practical purposes, we all tend to group them - northeast England is 'geordie', Merseyside is 'scouse', London is 'cockney', the west country is 'wurzel', etc. And I'm OK with that. I know that Wolverhampton has a different twang to Birmingham, but I also accept that the West Midlands is to most people's ears... Brummie. 

Obviously I didn't expect this forum to agree, hence putting it in this thread (for more nuanced discussion, ser the accents thread). 

Ah. Fair point.

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The best thing about the UK is that you can drive 70 miles in any direction and have no idea how to order a sandwich made with a bread roll. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Wedgefelt near Wulveramptun. 

Wednesfield near Wolverhampton 

Cool. I grew up in Netherton, and used to live not far away from there in Willenhall.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Translation Quiz. 

If yowm saft enuff ter cum dahn ere agooin wum, yowr tay ull b spilt. 

If you're daft enough to come down here (or before?) [something something], your tea will be [something?].

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I think the Black Country has a very unique, special culture that has never been "exposed" and codified like other regions (See the Liverpool love in because of the Beetles and the Manchester self promoting assholes). It's almost like a secret.

It's a window straight into the past. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Â