Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

On 30/06/2023 at 08:35, mjmooney said:

Absolutely this. I can understand how people are attached to them, but they're way too high maintenance for me. And if I'm ever tempted to get one, I just remind myself that you have to pick up their shit. Nope. 100% deal breaker. 

I was absolutely desperate to have a dog for the last almost 20 years. I absolutely love them.

But since having a kid, the desire to have a dog has completely disappeared. The hassle just seems too much on top of having a kid

On 01/07/2023 at 09:51, Rds1983 said:

Quentin Tarantino is overrated and only has a few good films and has made a lot of dross.

This thread is for unpopular opinions. Not wrong opinions ;) 

• Haha 1

Watching a film again is not my measure of quality - it's something I hardly ever do, regardless of how much I love the film. No element of surprise, and dilution of impact. Watching films is not like listening to music. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I dont think I will ever watch Once Upon A Time I Hollywood again, I watched it once and that was enough

It's probably been pointed out to you before, but if you don't know the story of Sharon tate and the Manson Family, then OUATIH is basically shit. It makes very little sense.

I didn't know the story when I saw it and basically thought it was crap.

Then I read about them and the film made far far more sense, really enjoyed it second time round.

There's obviously an argument as to whether you should have to do research to enjoy a film. But still

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's probably been pointed out to you before, but if you don't know the story of Sharon tate and the Manson Family, then OUATIH is basically shit. It makes very little sense.

Then I read about them and the film made far far more sense, really enjoyed it second time round.

There's obviously an argument as to whether you should have to do research to enjoy a film. But still

exact same boat for me, the penny dropped with about 10  minutes left and even then i didnt know who tate was i just knew tex from mindhunter i think

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

exact same boat for me, the penny dropped with about 10  minutes left and even then i didnt know who tate was i just knew tex from mindhunter i think

If you don't know anything about Tate then you basically finish the film thinking "Why the **** was that character even in this movie?!"

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I know the story, and I got it, the film made sense but for me it just didnt hit the right notes, I didnt hate it, but wouldnt watch it again. I liked the nods to the California players of the day, Cass Elliott, Michelle Philips, and the cast was excellent, it was the story, I didnt get anything out of it. I am not sure of the point of the film, was it The Family, was it a fading TV actor, was it Booths life, I am not sure it tackled any of them to the degree I wanted. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This thread is for unpopular opinions. Not wrong opinions ;) 

Based on the multiple responses agreeing with me, it appears your view would be the unpopular one. 😆

16 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Based on the multiple responses agreeing with me, it appears your view would be the unpopular one. 😆

That makes him on topic for this thread, and the rest of us not. 🫤

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I know the story, and I got it, the film made sense but for me it just didnt hit the right notes, I didnt hate it, but wouldnt watch it again. I liked the nods to the California players of the day, Cass Elliott, Michelle Philips, and the cast was excellent, it was the story, I didnt get anything out of it. I am not sure of the point of the film, was it The Family, was it a fading TV actor, was it Booths life, I am not sure it tackled any of them to the degree I wanted. 

It's a love letter to Hollywood's golden era, played as a fairytale of the period and then

Spoiler

giving a happy ending of wish fulfilment by brutally killing the symbols of it's ending before they did so.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If you don't know anything about Tate then you basically finish the film thinking "Why the **** was that character even in this movie?!"

That was me. 

I should probably re-watch it now I know what the point of it all was.

Mildly surprised the number of people who (presumably) were aware of Charles Manson but hadn’t heard of Sharon Tate. 

I think when I first learned of Mason it was discovered in quick succession - Manson, Tate, who she was married to, Helter Skelter.

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Mildly surprised the number of people who (presumably) were aware of Charles Manson but hadn’t heard of Sharon Tate. 

I think when I first learned of Mason it was discovered in quick succession - Manson, Tate, who she was married to, Helter Skelter.

I knew about Manson but I didn't know much about him at all. Just knew his name and that he was some sort of murderer and/or cult leader.

I'd never heard of Tate

1 hour ago, Genie said:

That was me. 

I should probably re-watch it now I know what the point of it all was.

It's completely different movie once you know the Tate stuff

• Like 1

No doubt about it, watching OUATIH without the background knowledge would be a different experience. I'm fairly steeped in that particular bit of cultural history, so I was totally primed for it. It was the main reason I watched it, in fact, having been otherwise somewhat sceptical about recent Tarantinos. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's completely different movie once you know the Tate stuff

Having said this, I'd imagine knowing the Tate stuff before you watch OUATIH at all would make the end of the movie very tense. And that would be ruined by having to watch it a second time

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Having said this, I'd imagine knowing the Tate stuff before you watch OUATIH at all would make the end of the movie very tense. And that would be ruined by having to watch it a second time

Yes. This. Very much so. 

• Like 2

Â