Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats it for me, i **** hate camping

Same for me, I have a bit of a reputation for being able to sleep anywhere but the whole idea of camping is just one big f*** that!

20 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I've said it before but I get camping when it serves a purpose, i.e. festivals or when you're doing a long hike/trek and setting up camp to rest. 

What I can't fathom is people leaving behind their home with all mod cons to just drive to a field and set up a tent and camp in it and then call it a holiday.  Not thanks.

A guy I work with has a caravan and is out and about with it all the time. A couple of months ago he said he'd been away in the caravan with the whole family (wife and 3 kids) for the weekend. Asked where he'd been, and he was literally in a field 15 minutes from home, just enjoying the caravan. **** mental to me :D 

• Haha 2

Occassionally I will take the motorhome 15 minutes up the road to Cannock Chase, there is a basic site that appeals to friends of mine so we stay there, ordinarily I wouldnt. On the whole I like to see different parts of the country and for the most part a motorhome stay is fairly comfortable. Whilst I have had a motorhome I have been back in a tent twice, both times at festivals. Once was Download, there for a friends stag do and it was either camp with them in a tent or stay in a motorhome, alone, miles away from them. I wish I chose the latter. The other time was a Bearded Theory as my Motorhome was in the garage having a new gearbox I dug a tent out and stayed in that, less awful than the Download experience, but not something I want to go back to.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A guy I work with has a caravan and is out and about with it all the time. A couple of months ago he said he'd been away in the caravan with the whole family (wife and 3 kids) for the weekend. Asked where he'd been, and he was literally in a field 15 minutes from home, just enjoying the caravan. **** mental to me :D 

Reminds me of a story.  A mate of mine when we were kids, went on his summer holidays one year.  We found out later he spent it with his relatives ... in an adjacent housing estate :lol:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I know of people that live in Formby and own static caravans either in Formby or the other side of the airfield n Ainsdale and they go to those caravans most weekends in the summer

absolute mentalists

I absolutely love camping. 

I have never, and would never do it as a week, or two week holiday, but i love it in certain situations. 

I love the outdoors, hiking, climbing mountains, kayaking, all that sort of stuff. And whenever I go away with mates it’s brilliant to set up camp and spend the weekend completely immersed in that with friends. 

Staying on the same subject though, what I don’t really understand is glamping (posh camping for those that haven’t heard the term). 

If I want little luxuries when I go away I’ll stop in a hotel. If I want an adventure weekend I’m wild camping. 

I used to go camping quite a bit but then we went to Billing Aquadrome on a busy weekend. Got there early on the Friday, and pitched up in a nice spot by a stream. Then late on Friday when the field we were in was pretty much full a couple of families rock up in their truck. Squeezed their mass of tents and gazebos into a spot where there really wasn’t room. Common as muck, pissing in the stream, music all night, cackling like hyenas into the early hours. Haven’t been again since. They would have made the weekend a misery for at least a dozen other groups. Tramps.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I used to go camping quite a bit but then we went to Billing Aquadrome on a busy weekend. Got there early on the Friday, and pitched up in a nice spot by a stream. Then late on Friday when the field we were in was pretty much full a couple of families rock up in their truck. Squeezed their mass of tents and gazebos into a spot where there really wasn’t room. Common as muck, pissing in the stream, music all night, cackling like hyenas into the early hours. Haven’t been again since. They would have made the weekend a misery for at least a dozen other groups. Tramps.

I’ve never been there. But when I met my partner about 9yrs ago she told me that she used to go there regularly with the kids, and they loved it. But their last experience was really poor, similar to your experience. She said it had really gone down hill. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

I’ve never been there. But when I met my partner about 9yrs ago she told me that she used to go there regularly with the kids, and they loved it. But their last experience was really poor, similar to your experience. She said it had really gone down hill. 

My story was from about 15 years ago. It really put me off camping that one inconsiderate group can ruin it for dozens.

I think BA is super busy now. Lots of bars, events, car shows, fun fair etc. Might be alright with a tourer or a static caravan to shut out some of the noise when you want to sleep.

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

My story was from about 15 years ago. It really put me off camping that one inconsiderate group can ruin it for dozens.

I think BA is super busy now. Lots of bars, events, car shows, fun fair etc. Might be alright with a tourer or a static caravan to shut out some of the noise when you want to sleep.

I guess that brings me back around to why I enjoy wild camping mate. 

Like I said above, if I want entertainment and stuf I’ll do a package holiday (and you might get words removed there aswell). 

Wild camping with my mates it’s just us. 

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Quentin Tarantino is overrated and only has a few good films and has made a lot of dross.

Must admit, I absolutely love R. Dogs, Pulp Fiction and OUATIH, and am (at best) indifferent to the rest. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Quentin Tarantino is overrated and only has a few good films and has made a lot of dross.

One trick pony.

Hyper stylised stuff that already existed, and now flogging it to death.

I’ve not listened to many QT interviews, but what I have heard, he’s come over as an absolute knob. And not a good knob, a bad knob.

The films are perfectly watchable, Once Upon A Time was on again recently and I found myself watching and enjoying it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Must admit, I absolutely love R. Dogs, Pulp Fiction and OUATIH, and am (at best) indifferent to the rest. 

I think True Romance is also brilliant (I know he didn’t direct it), but yes agree. The rest are very forgettable.

• Like 1

Â