Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Having said this, I'd imagine knowing the Tate stuff before you watch OUATIH at all would make the end of the movie very tense. And that would be ruined by having to watch it a second time

Yes the expectation of what's to come is there throughout the film and builds as the film approaches it's climax

Which makes the actual pay off even better and more surprising.  Although he seems to like the alternate history stuff as he did with Inglorious

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Having said this, I'd imagine knowing the Tate stuff before you watch OUATIH at all would make the end of the movie very tense. And that would be ruined by having to watch it a second time

If you know about the Tate stuff, the entire film as you watch has this ominous cloud over it. Yes it's the golden era of Tinseltown, everyone's cool, everything is luminous, fun and easy going, there's a joy in it all, and everything and everyone is larger than life. But there's a dirty nasty undercurrent, just below the surface, just on the fringes of things, and the film keeps giving you nods to it, and you know what's coming.

And then it does come and it's horrific.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Beaches are rubbish.

Sand is the most irritating substance known to man. It’s boring. You can’t eat anything due to the sand issue. Get in the bin

“Get in the bi…you mean the sea, right Rich? That’s a more appropriate variant of the phrase to use in this instance. ‘Get in the sea’?

”No. I want it in the bin.”

“But it’s the beach, the sea is literally just right ther..”

“I said the bin, goddammit!!!”

• Haha 4

On 03/07/2023 at 10:19, Chindie said:

If you know about the Tate stuff, the entire film as you watch has this ominous cloud over it. Yes it's the golden era of Tinseltown, everyone's cool, everything is luminous, fun and easy going, there's a joy in it all, and everything and everyone is larger than life. But there's a dirty nasty undercurrent, just below the surface, just on the fringes of things, and the film keeps giving you nods to it, and you know what's coming.

And then it does come and it's horrific.

I've kind of avoided it. I need to see it. I was a little kid in a very working class area of central LA during the era depicted in the film. There's this whole other LA -- not glamour and sparkle and horror and violence but more colourful local neighborhoods and nature-- that I know, and I kind of don't want the film to **** with my memories and experiences. But now I want see after reading this thread. 

9 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Beaches are rubbish.

Sand is the most irritating substance known to man. It’s boring. You can’t eat anything due to the sand issue. Get in the bin. 

Especially when you're on a holiday that has a glorious pool and bar 100m away from the god awful beach

My wife's a beach person and I'm a pool person, i just don't get it

• Like 1

People should stay away from beaches.

Leave them well alone.

Go to a shopping centre, or a resort, or a theme park, or a hotel with a pool bar.

Westfield. Bluestone. The Langham. All superior in multiple ways.

Now this WILL be unpopular.

Beer/Lager. Especially cask ales and all that stuff. To me, beer tastes like shit no matter what the kind and the only reason to drink it is to get pissed at football. 

I've tried hundreds of beers and lagers from all over the world and they all taste pretty much the same but with varying levels of gas.

Cask ales and IPAs all taste almost identical to me and again, taste bloody rank.

It's for getting merry and not to actually enjoy. I've never enjoyed a sip of any lager/beer/IPA, but I like the buzz I get from it and so I start on a few before switching to rum or vodka.

If I start on spirits I just get tired so I have no choice but to suffer a few lagers first.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Inspired from the breakfast thread.

Hash brown's are overrated and I'd rather just go without or have more of something else.

If going to add some carb heavy randomness to it then a Staffordshire oatcake is much nicer then a hash brown.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I despise onions. The taste, the smell, the look. Yuck!

I instantly feel sick if I smell an onion. Not sure if this is an actual intolerance but I seem to be the only person I know who reacts this badly to them. Everybody else seems to love the dammed things. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Leave them well alone.

Go to a shopping centre, or a resort, or a theme park, or a hotel with a pool bar.

Westfield. Bluestone. The Langham. All superior in multiple ways.

Apart from the film, which always makes me weep

14 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I instantly feel sick if I smell an onion. Not sure if this is an actual intolerance but I seem to be the only person I know who reacts this badly to them. Everybody else seems to love the dammed things. 

Have you never ate a hotdog?

4 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Sounds visceral for you. Less an opinion that a gut-level allergy. That seems hard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I avoid things like hot dogs, hash brownsz burgers etc. Anything that could have onion. 

I always ask for extra onions in anything that contains them and love to eat them raw with a bit of cheddar cheese. :)

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

This thread is getting silly. People don't like onions? Or beer???  That's two of my major food groups, right there. 

Then again, I haven't bothered mentioning my antipathy to curry (mainly because it's already been well documented previously). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I always ask for extra onions in anything that contains them and live to eat them raw with a bit of cheddar cheese. :)

Same. Red onions, white onions, spring onions, shallots - all delicious, raw or cooked. 

Â