Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

And we've only played at 12pm on a Sunday ever since (apart from league cup games)

Monday night 8 o’clock is not the best time for a Villa Blues game, what an earth were they thinking

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

dion-dublin-headbutt-2003-1104x630.jpg

about 4 years ago I got a 3 day ban on twitter for commenting on that photo "should have hit him harder"

I scrapped my account on the spot

absolute cesspit of a place and I got banned...they can **** off, its a terrible platform

IIRC even Dublin regrets not hitting him harder. It's still a genuine highlight from what was an awful season for us.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

dion-dublin-headbutt-2003-1104x630.jpg

about 4 years ago I got a 3 day ban on twitter for commenting on that photo "should have hit him harder"

I scrapped my account on the spot

absolute cesspit of a place and I got banned...they can **** off, its a terrible platform

31 minutes ago, BOF said:

IIRC even Dublin regrets not hitting him harder. It's still a genuine highlight from what was an awful season for us.

There was an episode of That Peter Crouch podcast recently about derbies, and Crouch recalled this one with fond memories.

Specifically for that incident :D

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Proper derby

Non of that saturated rubbish that can have an evening kick off that Sky cream over like Arsenal v Spurs or United v City or Liverpool.

I stayed away from them for the longest time, just unpleasant all around. I then thought, I at least have to see one in my lifetime.

Arise Sir Cafu for making my day a VERY joyous drunk one!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Proper derby

Non of that saturated rubbish that can have an evening kick off that Sky cream over like Arsenal v Spurs or United v City or Liverpool.

Crouch said so himself. He said people don’t realise the passion and atmosphere at the Birmingham derby. 

He’s generally very complimentary about his time at Villa, even though he admits he wasn’t very good here because he just wasn’t ready for the step up

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 13:53, il_serpente said:

I've always thought of it as nothing more than an opportunity to make money off an SNL bit that had proved to be very popular.

They actually did a lot of touring with Belushi and Akroyd. Akroyd in particular is a bit of a blues aficionado. They were really serious as a group and released a couple of live albums but no studio albums of original material.

After Belushi died the band still toured (but obvs with different singers.) The rhythm and horn section were the same and I saw them twice in the UK at Wolverhampton town hall (Lou Marini, Alan Rubin aka Mr Fabulous RIP, and Tom Bones Malone were the horns.)

There is a direct lineage from the band to the current SNL band though, you are correct on that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

They actually did a lot of touring with Belushi and Akroyd. Akroyd in particular is a bit of a blues aficionado. They were really serious as a group and released a couple of live albums but no studio albums of original material.

After Belushi died the band still toured (but obvs with different singers.) The rhythm and horn section were the same and I saw them twice in the UK at Wolverhampton town hall (Lou Marini, Alan Rubin aka Mr Fabulous RIP, and Tom Bones Malone were the horns.)

There is a direct lineage from the band to the current SNL band though, you are correct on that.

I still remember buying my cd copy of briefcase full of blues from a boots in sheffield. It was before the amazing comeback that was the Ron Atkinson debut at hillsborough. I also purchased Alchemy by Dire Straits. Weird the stuff you remember. I also clearly remember a guy in the row behind me at half time proclaiming loudly that Staunton must be wondering what the &&&& he's let himself in for. :D

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 11:52, Seat68 said:

The infiltration of On topic into Off topic. Small football related posts, more and more of them coming in, be that quiz thread, things you don't get thread, they are all stacking up. If I wanted to discuss football, I would join a football forum.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47e310ss6jjbgr5k2iad

11 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Yeah, I was partly joking.  I know that Belushi became a huge Blues and R&B fan during the filming of “Animal House”, supposedly after seeing Robert Cray and others at a club, so the Blues Brothers was something they enjoyed doing.  But there’s no question that they saw an opportunity to cash in as well.

Kind of funny that a guy from Chicago doesn’t get into the blues until he’s isolated in a small town in the Pacific Northwest.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2023 at 15:20, Xela said:

XL Bully dogs 

Get them banned initially and then eradicate the breed. 

Don’t ban dog breeds.

Bring back dog licenses, sufficiently funded to have people assess your premises and your ability to train and keep a dog correctly.

You’ll always be chasing this week’s fashionable bad dog breed, when it switches to Doberman, or german shepard or husky or whatever. 

• Like 1

Â