Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I used to go and see Billy Bragg a fair amount, he was and I assume, is, solid live. Songs were great, picked the right set list, but in-between songs, patter, that's what you payed your money for. Well not really but that was what set him apart from his contemporaries. 

Ever seen anybody lose a crowd quicker than Billy Bragg down Cardiff Bay saying he was glad to be back in England?

He did apologise once he worked out why the crowd had gone a bit funny.

He said it was muscle memory his brain had wanted to say nice to be back in Wales, his mouth let him down. Fair play.

• Haha 1

A lot of music venues are the musical equivalent of the Emirates Stadium… designed to get as many people through the door as quickly as possible and spend as much money as possible while they’re in there.

But gigs can be magical if you find places that aren’t like this.

• Like 3

I saw INXS at the NEC and everyone stayed sat down, which wouldn’t have been so bad, had the seats faced the stage.

Those venues set up for a sport event in the centre, and re purposed to have a band at one end, just a big fat no.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

A lot of music venues are the musical equivalent of the Emirates Stadium… designed to get as many people through the door as quickly as possible and spend as much money as possible while they’re in there.

Yeah, arenas generally aren't great - but places like Rock City are still great.

52 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I saw INXS at the NEC and everyone stayed sat down, which wouldn’t have been so bad, had the seats faced the stage.

Those venues set up for a sport event in the centre, and re purposed to have a band at one end, just a big fat no.

The Whoever it’s sponsored by this year Arena in Manchester springs to mind here

Another one on the list 

It’s rare I ever want to do an arena show anyway but I’ve never been to a good arena

In fact Pete’s reminded me of that Bunnymen gig which as arenas go was alright because a) it wasn’t remotely sold out because bumped into people I hadn’t seen in ages by wandering around a bit and the downstairs was standing only

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Cardiff Indoor Arena is both one of my least favourite venues and yet the setting for some of the most memorable gigs I've been to.

(Unsurprisingly) I saw SFA there and they had these Pete Fowler volcanoes at the front of the stage with smoke coming out the top. But they were about 3 ft tall. You had to be down the front to see them. It was the most Spinal Tap thing I’d ever seen. I always hoped it wasn’t a deliberate nod.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

That’s a genuine yes and no.  My experience is that the Emirates stadium is actually pretty good, unlike a fair number of music venues. But, yes gigs can be and sometimes are, just magical. It’s basically seeing (and hearing) talent excel at what they do, whether it’s in a tiny venue, or an enormodome.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Music concerts/gigs are rubbish. The quality is never as good as the actual album, surrounded by pissed up loud people singing along, or worse talking through each song. Difficult to get a drink, toilets are a nightmare, and it’s way too hot. 

I should caveat this by saying I have enjoyed some before, but usually it’s very disappointing. 

Obviously never went to a Grateful Dead show.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s a genuine yes and no.  My experience is that the Emirates stadium is actually pretty good, unlike a fair number of music venues. But, yes gigs can be and sometimes are, just magical. It’s basically seeing (and hearing) talent excel at what they do, whether it’s in a tiny venue, or an enormodome.

Yes, to be fair, I remember going to see Bob Dylan in Wembley Arena about 15 years ago... awful megavenue... awful crowd... and he reworked Visions of Johanna and It's Alright Ma as blazing rock epics which you could only work out about 2 mins into each song. Completely lost the crowd, but I was transfixed.

But more often than not, it's the smaller, more intimate venues where I walk away thinking I've seen something beautiful.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its easier to win the day if you post primarily in On Topic. I am saying it. You can post a tweet and get 20 likes. 

I don’t think anyone could disagree with you there. It’s more widely read over there, slightly different crowd, and I suspect a different taste/mentality.

I know I’ve posted a gag here in off topic, maybe received a like or two for my efforts. Months later, there’s a discussion in on topic where I decide the same gag could be used, I recycle it and lo and behold I receive 15-20 likes. Exact same joke.

I hadn’t really clocked the days won until a few years into being here. For ages I was stuck on 9 days which was slightly irritating. Eventually landed on 10 and now couldn’t give a toss about winning another one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t think anyone could disagree with you there. It’s more widely read over there, slightly different crowd, and I suspect a different taste/mentality.

I know I’ve posted a gag here in off topic, maybe received a like or two for my efforts. Months later, there’s a discussion in on topic where I decide the same gag could be used, I recycle it and lo and behold I receive 15-20 likes. Exact same joke.

I hadn’t really clocked the days won until a few years into being here. For ages I was stuck on 9 days which was slightly irritating. Eventually landed on 10 and now couldn’t give a toss about winning another one. 

Well I could give a toss Mark. I have been on 9 for ages. Not really sure I can be bothered to head over and make a pithy comment about someone. I might get asked a follow up question, and then I'm screwed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Its easier to win the day if you post primarily in On Topic. I am saying it. You can post a tweet and get 20 likes. 

It’s the easy route. Any fool can write blues smell of poo and get a bunch of likes.

Off topic, you have to find the fashionable thing of the day and say it smells of poo. Much more work involved. You’ve got to provide acceptable evidence that poo smells for people with wilful anosmia for one thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Well I could give a toss Mark. I have been on 9 for ages. Not really sure I can be bothered to head over and make a pithy comment about someone. I might get asked a follow up question, and then I'm screwed.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

It’s the easy route. Any fool can write blues smell of poo and get a bunch of likes.

Off topic, you have to find the fashionable thing of the day and say it smells of poo. Much more work involved. You’ve got to provide acceptable evidence that poo smells for people with wilful anosmia for one thing. 

The route for me is wait until you and @StefanAVFC and @bickster are somewhere for the weekend without any phone signal at all, Wales perhaps, and then strike. post a load of Nick Cave, Fall and Half Man Half Biscuit videos, locate some anti thatcher, or whoever is leader now, tweets, post something filmy to get the film nerds salivating and then round it off with something nice in the Wrasslin and Cricket threads. Got to do this when Villa arent playing of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â