Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve always thought of the Blues Brothers film as nothing more than a basic vehicle for stringing together the songs.

At the time it was the most cars ever used in a car chase (not sure anymore.) And in the 70’s every movie had a car chase !

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Then throw in all the famous musicians in the film too, Aretha, Cropper, Duck, Matt Murphy, Lou Marini, WIllie Hall, James Brown, Cab Calloway...

To say that band could play, it's probably the best pickup band ever assembled

John Lee Hooker. Busking outside Aretha’s cafe

• Like 1

I went to see the live version of Bottom.  It was an amazing atmosphere.  The crowd was hostile and there were some vicious heckles and some vicious responses.  In some places Rik and Ade broke down in laughter and couldn't continue.   

I enjoyed it so much that I went so see it again a few weeks later. 

The heckles were identical, the responses were identical and the off scripted moments were identical.  

I felt cheated. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I went to see the live version of Bottom.  It was an amazing atmosphere.  The crowd was hostile and there were some vicious heckles and some vicious responses.  In some places Rik and Ade broke down in laughter and couldn't continue.   

The heckles were identical, the responses were identical and the off scripted moments were identical.  

I felt cheated. 

Everything in this bloopers video was repeated in the 2 shows I attended. 

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I felt cheated. 

This absolutely wasn’t me, I’m not hiding who attended.

A friend went to see the Russ Abbott Roadshow, and there was a point where someone in the audience got up to go to the loo and they absolutely slaughtered the guy and he never came back. Then there was a scene that relied on telling the time and Russ had forgotten his watch and the whole thing crumbled in to laughter.

A week later he took his mum to the same show, some bloke in an aisle seat got up to go to the loo - slaughtered.

Next sketch, Russ had forgotten the watch prop that the sketch relied on…

He said the same thing, he felt like he’d been conned. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I mean it's not just a comedy really, is it? Sort of musical, absurd, almost adventure type thing. Carrie Fisher repeatedly trying to kill Jake is kind of funny. Bumbling Police, thick Nazis,

Are you the Police?

No Ma'am, we're musicians.

And the line about "we got both kinds of music - Country AND Western"

loads of one liners and stuff.

Yeah it’s not just trying to be a comedic film. But the comedy in the film doesn’t do anything for me. 

The policemen line you quoted. Just rewatched it. Nope, nothing. It seems like the comedy is derived from Ackroyd’s matter of fact deadpan delivery. But I don’t think it’s a funny line so I don’t think it’s funny. Ditto that it’s night and we’re wearing shades line or whatever it is.

Country AND western registers as a joke. That’s ok. 

The Carrie Fisher stuff, in a different guise could be amusing. But as it is, nah.

Cops, nazis, also nah.

And the car crashes. When in doubt, add a car crash scene seems to have been the order of the day.

Ackroyd is generally ok in films (I think he’s very enjoyable in Grosse Point Blank). John Belushi just does nothing for me. I think he’s one whose legacy benefited greatly from an early demise.

And just to hammer the point home, I think I’d choose Jim over John.

This was a double post of the one above but I may as well use the internet space properly.

I definitely went through that python phase with a few friends, quoting the holy grail (it would usually be the holy grail, seldom Brian).

We weren’t a big hit with the female classmates. Although it’s probably unfair to blame that on the python lot.

Grew out of it by my late teens, I don’t think I’ve seen either film for at least ten years.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

13 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I felt cheated. 

I went to see U2 twice at the Birmingham Odeon around War and that Live at Red Rocks album because my mates were going. Bonio said the same shit between the same songs, climbed the speaker stack at the same time and they played the same songs in the same order

It confirmed my opinion that they were shite. 

• Haha 1

I just watched 3 minutes of that Bottom video, now I know my wife, then girlfriend liked this and I must have seen some of it, I feel it was probably the Christmas episode, frankenstein and grrr, or some such. That stage version would the absolute nadir of comedy, Mrs Browns Boys is an intricate satire in comparison.

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

I went to see U2 twice at the Birmingham Odeon around War and that Live at Red Rocks album because my mates were going. Bonio said the same shit between the same songs, climbed the speaker stack at the same time and they played the same songs in the same order

It confirmed my opinion that they were shite. 

And I thought it was just me that calls him Bonio. I feel vindicated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I had a friendship group that would quote bits of Monty Python to each other, all the stupid voices and all the stupid quotes.

’weee i am the knight that says pong!’

’oooh, the knight that says pong we are the pims of poop’

All that shite. It got to a point where I sort of drifted away from them. Met up a few years later at the wedding of a mutual friend, there they all were, quoting the knight that says pippitypoo or whatever it was.

Guilty as charged M'lud!

Although I never went in for silly voices, I mainly tyrannised the innocent, with renditions of The Cheese Sketch, The Travel Agent and Novel Writing, from Dorset.

I once met a gentleman called Jackson who happened to mention that he owned two sheds, which was more temptation than I could resist.

These days I am a reformed character, known only for getting excited whenever I hear the phrase "tungsten carbide drills".

I am a reformed character and can only make the plea for understanding, as Blackadder fans can be just as annoying.

I understand that our present monarch, is known for doing voices from the Goons.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

Â