Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

I went to see U2 twice at the Birmingham Odeon around War and that Live at Red Rocks album because my mates were going. Bonio said the same shit between the same songs, climbed the speaker stack at the same time and they played the same songs in the same order

It confirmed my opinion that they were shite. 

Those same gigs, a couple of my mates were going, and they asked me and another mate if we wanted to go too. I said "no ta" my other mate went and when they got back they reported that he fell asleep in the gig.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I definitely went through that python phase with a few friends, quoting the holy grail (it would usually be the holy grail, seldom Brian)

I posted this in another thread back in 2021.  It still makes me smile when I think of it. 

"David Niven's Fridge.  

For those of you who aren't coffin dodgers, this was a Monty Python sketch.  At a glitzy award ceremony David Niven is presenting an award.  The host announces "Unfortunately David cannot be here today, but he has sent his fridge to make the award."  The fridge is wheeled on, presents the award and leaves.  Everyone acts as this is completely normal.  It's surreal comedy at its best.  

At work some of the elders like to wind up the whippersnappers.   A favourite is to drop old and obscure references into mundane correspondence and events.  

Today we got a new fridge.  A colleague circulated an email saying that a long retired colleague called David Niven had passed away.  In his will he'd left his former colleagues enough money to purchase something for the office.  We'd used it to purchase a fridge.  

Later that day he called everyone together and announced that unfortunately David Niven can't be with us today. But he's sent a fridge.  He then recreated most of the sketch as a solemn eulogy.  

I almost p!$$ed myself but managed to disguise it as emotion.  

Tomorrow it will have an engraved sign "David Niven's Fridge." 

If you like surreal humour Google "David Niven's Fridge."  Genius."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen is so true

I am surprised Mooney liked this and didn't even pick you up on it. Every correction I get going forward will be met with a shrug.

Monty Python basically covered Four Yorkshire men, it was originally on the At Last The 1948 Show and performed by Cleese and Chapman, as well as Tim Brooke-Taylor and Marty Feldman.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I remember it like it was yesterday. Still can't stand the bloke.

Not talking about Dion. He's ace.

completely bonkers night, we had song sheets on our seats in the upper Holte all with anti blues songs on them, as if the we did not know them. The game being suspended for 15 minutes whilst it was kicking off everywhere.bonkers

20 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

Rik Mayall was never funny

I’ve told it before but I’ll tell it again 

was in the shopping centre in Woking once going down the escalator , when I looked across and saw what looked like Rik Mayall on the up escalator… I kinda did a double take and he went straight into “ character “ doing his yes it’s me sorta thing .. then he nodded gave me the double up yours and was gone 

honesty that bloke could make people laugh just picking his nose or riding an escalator 

that said I do think Lord Flasheart  is the only blight on the excellent Blackadder 2 and 4 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

And, leaving aside the music (which I know is a big part of the film), I simply don’t get the blues brothers. As a supposedly comedic film, what are the funny bits meant to be?

In my late teens / early twenties on a Friday after work we’d leg it up to The Town and country club in Kentish Town and see a band and then it would become a night club afterwards.

id never seen the Blues brothers but they always had it on giant screens in the background whilst the music was playing … people would kinda stop dancing and utter some lines at various points , I never had a clue what they were going on about .

I did get around to watching it a few years back … meh , it was better on mute with a DJ playing random records over it 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve always thought of the Blues Brothers film as nothing more than a basic vehicle for stringing together the songs.

I've always thought of it as nothing more than an opportunity to make money off an SNL bit that had proved to be very popular.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

completely bonkers night, we had song sheets on our seats in the upper Holte all with anti blues songs on them, as if the we did not know them. The game being suspended for 15 minutes whilst it was kicking off everywhere.bonkers

And we've only played at 12pm on a Sunday ever since (apart from league cup games)

Â