Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 13 of 38)

zab6359

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He isn’t terrible, not by any stretch of the imagination, he just had a tough start to life in a new country, that’s all. This is Nyland’s chance to stake his claim now 

He bloody is 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We have quite a few now in my opinion, our squad is in good shape for a newly promoted team, 2 full England internationals (Mings and Heaton), 3  ex England u21 internationals (Hause, Targett & Grealish), a current England u21 international (Konsa), a Belgian u21 international (Engels), 2 full Brazil international (Douglas Luiz and Wesley), a Holland international (El Ghazi), an  ex France u21 international (Guilbert), 2 ex England u20 internationals (Davis and Green),  a Norway international  (Nyland),  a Croatia international (Kalinic), an Egypt international (Trezeguet), 2 Wales international (Taylor and Chester), an Egypt international (Elmohamady,  a Scotland international (McGinn), a Zimbabwe international (Nakamba), 2 Republic of Ireland internationals  (Hourihane and Hogan), a Galicia international (Jota), an Ivory Coast international (Kodjia) 

Sorry SGC no stars amongst that lot! Jack is our only outstanding star currently. For me a star player is someone that could walk into a top side and make it better.........maybe Mings.....maybe.

Nothing on the injury front yet, will probably come out in DS's pre-match presser, I don't think Heaton's injury was too bad so I'd expect him to be back for Monday (fingers crossed) and also hope Jack, Targett and Engels are fit again. With a fully fit side I think we'll beat Newcastle, with two or three first teamers out it makes it a lot harder. 

I back all Villa players as much as possible but Nyland hadn't played in a year since he made that appearance at Wolves, he also looked fairly ropey in the Championship, so it wouldn't fill me with confidence if he will be the man in goal if Heaton is out for any length of time. 

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Sorry SGC no stars amongst that lot! Jack is our only outstanding star currently. For me a star player is someone that could walk into a top side and make it better.........maybe Mings.....maybe.

Exactly, sometimes it's not all about whether you've been capped at senior international level, Jack Grealish is our best player and is yet to receive even a call up for the senior England team. Sometimes managers just don't see what others see. Matt Le Tissier was one hell of a player, for example, but only received 8 England caps, he should have received 10 times that amount. It could well be the same with Jack, though I think we've got the potential to be a lot better than the Southampton side that Le Tissier carried for so many years in the 1990s. 

And saying Jota is an international because he has one cap for Galicia (who?) is ludicrous 😂

I do kind of agree that for a newly promoted team there is a lot of potential quality in our team, but that is to be expected when we've spent over £140m on players. What DS needs to do first and foremost is get the right system in place so we can compete and get higher up the table. This could be by playing three at the back, it could be by changing from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 so McGinn is at no. 10 (working really well for Scotland right now), or it could be another move. At the moment I think the system is affecting us and not controlling games well enough (plus leaking too many goals), DS has to change that or we will continue to lose games that we shouldn't. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

15 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He isn’t terrible, not by any stretch of the imagination, he just had a tough start to life in a new country, that’s all. This is Nyland’s chance to stake his claim now 

It's definitely his chance, but I can't see him doing enough to oust Heaton.  He'd have to be Yashin mk 2.  He's clearly not 'terrible' by any yardstick given he represents his country, but I do think he's not up to the standard we require in the Premier League given what I've seen of him to date.  I'd be only too happy for him to prove all the doubters very wrong though.

17 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We have quite a few now in my opinion, our squad is in good shape for a newly promoted team, 2 full England internationals (Mings and Heaton), 3  ex England u21 internationals (Hause, Targett & Grealish), a current England u21 international (Konsa), a Belgian u21 international (Engels), 2 full Brazil international (Douglas Luiz and Wesley), a Holland international (El Ghazi), an  ex France u21 international (Guilbert), 2 ex England u20 internationals (Davis and Green),  a Norway international  (Nyland),  a Croatia international (Kalinic), an Egypt international (Trezeguet), 2 Wales international (Taylor and Chester), an Egypt international (Elmohamady,  a Scotland international (McGinn), a Zimbabwe international (Nakamba), 2 Republic of Ireland internationals  (Hourihane and Hogan), a Galicia international (Jota), an Ivory Coast international (Kodjia) 

Sorry, SGC, I love how you stick up for our players, but that is an uninspiring squad, apart from Grealish, Mings and McGinn.

On 20/11/2019 at 11:34, AntrimBlack said:

I thought Kalinic was a better keeper than Nyland, but the experts obviously disagree.

Kalanic definitely has the potential to be better, but he has that unfortunate little hitch to his play that he cant help conceding 3 every game...and that was at championship level!

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Kalanic definitely has the potential to be better, but he has that unfortunate little hitch to his play that he cant help conceding 3 every game...and that was at championship level!

Throwback to when Nyland conceded 5 goals from 5 shots against Forest.

Not sure what the reception for Bruce will be like, but it would be nice if it were a positive one. I know that he didn't leave on good terms with the fans, but it was best for both  parties we went separate ways in the end - we got promoted and he got a job in the PL. Especially the season he took us to the play off final, he deserves a lot of respect with everything happening in his personal life to stay focused on the job in hand, even if we came up short. In the end, it was a lucky break we lost that game so the new owners could come in. I can't say I hold any personal grudges against Bruce even if it didn't work out for him at Villa.

Having said that, I fully anticipate quite a hostile atmosphere, maybe even another cabbage heading his way. It's Newcastle and Bruce, neither of whom are popular in B6. It's a real must-win this early in the season, otherwise we'll be in the bottom 3 at Christmas. With 3 consecutive games against the current bottom 3 around Xmas/New Year I'd rather we were ahead of these teams coming into the game to take a little bit of pressure off. 

First game I can get to since Crewe away so hopefully they can replicate that scoreline? We can dream...

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

Carroll, Almiron, Clark and/or Joelinton...you decide!

Have to admit I'm a bit concerned that quick French winger and Almiron haven't scored for them yet, they will get a chance or two on the counter attack. Probably the most to worry about is actually them bringing on Dwight Gayle with 15 minutes left if game is still in the balance as he is one who usually scores v us for various clubs in last five years.

Somewhat Regular Premier League Tidbits

We've played Newcastle 44 times in the Premier League for a record of 8 wins, 14 draws & 22 defeats, scoring 0.886 GPG and conceding 1.455 GPG with an average of 0.864 points per game.

Last time we defeated them at Villa Park was back in 2010/11 when we won 1-0 thanks to a James Collins header. A game so unremarkable I looked for 5 minutes and couldn't find YouTube highlights. This capped off a streak of 4 straight Premier League victories against them at Villa Park (1-0, 1-0, 4-1, 2-0). However, apart from this little streak our record against them is **** atrocious. 

4 hours ago, Hornso said:

Somewhat Regular Premier League Tidbits

We've played Newcastle 44 times in the Premier League for a record of 8 wins, 14 draws & 22 defeats, scoring 0.886 GPG and conceding 1.455 GPG with an average of 0.864 points per game.

Last time we defeated them at Villa Park was back in 2010/11 when we won 1-0 thanks to a James Collins header. A game so unremarkable I looked for 5 minutes and couldn't find YouTube highlights. This capped off a streak of 4 straight Premier League victories against them at Villa Park (1-0, 1-0, 4-1, 2-0). However, apart from this little streak our record against them is **** atrocious. 

That's crazy, especially considering they've only been any good for about 5 or 6 Prem seasons.

• Like 2