Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 13 of 38)

zab6359

15 hours ago, smg said:

Forget Taylor v Targett, how would you rank Taylor, Lowton  and Enda Stevens ?  I would go Lowton, Taylor, Stevens. But we all know they are all shit and not good enough for the Villa even though two of them are regulars in premier league teams higher up the table than we are.

Random...

However it's all about the development of a player.

Enda Stevens has now developed into a fantastic left back, I watched him yesterday and he was superb. He would currently walk into our side.

Lowton has developed into a very good right back for Burnley.

Taylor won't improve.

We now have to hope Guilbert and Targett can develop to become brilliant premier league full backs for us.

• Like 3

I think the fans need to play their part more. For example against Liverpool we went quiet in the last 10 minutes like we just knew they would score. I think it gave Liverpool a lift. We need to get at them. Boo and whistle when opposition has the ball then chear every time they lose it. Fans at Anfield do it brilliantly and their home record is unbelievable.  I think when the crowd gets at the opponents it can really affect them. Don’t care who they are.

• Like 3

Its crucial for the fans to make a racket tonight. give bruce plenty of "bants"

Villa need to show we have a ruthless streak. I'd like a dirty win tonight. Gazi must play! and Jack. after 3 straight defeats some people would take a draw just to "stop the bleeding"

however seeing sheffield united in the upper echelons on the division makes me sick to my jappa!

the only amusement was watching  them so happy after chucking 3 pts away against man utd at home.

To me this shows serious flaws in their mentality. seeing wilder laughing and smiling with the lads on motd2 after throwing that win down the karzi. I would be very worried if I was a blade punter. at least smith looked really peed off after the liverpool debarcle.

anyway enough about them its set up to be an attack against defence show tonight, just how smith likes it.

I think patience will be key this evening. Newcastle will play 5 at the back with 2 pretty defensive minded midfielders in front of them. They will aim to invite us on and hit us on the break as they have massive pace. 

I hope Jack is back and fit enough to start but he should expect a tough night if he does play. I don't see our wingers getting much room to run into so I'd go with intelligence over pace. Play Jack on the left and maybe Jota on the right (if fit). We are going to have a lot of the ball so it's all about how we use it. We will need runners to help Wesley as he will be up against 3 centre backs so a lot is expected of Jack, McGinn and Douglas (if he starts)

All in all it will be a tough game but one I expect us to dominate, just hope we score the goals. 

The better teams in the league knows that we want Mings to play out from defense (to ideally find Grealish) and puts pressure on him and his nearest outlet option.

With Mings not an option Heaton resorts to hoofing a bit too often, and with Wesley not skilled enough to trap the ball we lose possession and are forced to defend again.

While we looked our best under Bruce during those spells where we pressed higher as a team we only did it for short spells during games and often enough not at all. And with the current formation Newcastle use it should be easy enough to bypass any initial press. Hoofing it thou will be utterly pointless against their back 5 and somewhat tall CM

Edited by sne

Although Bruce’s teams aren’t known for conceding a load of goals, under the lights, crowd buzzing, Jack back, full house etc, I can see us putting 5 passed them tonight.

(How long do you have to edit posts?..)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elton said:

Although Bruce’s teams aren’t known for conceding a load of goals, under the lights, crowd buzzing, Jack back, full house etc, I can see us putting 5 passed them tonight.

As long as it takes, Reg

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Must admit, despite being pretty optimistic so far this season, the none performance at Wolves has me a little worried. Desperately need something from this game, especially considering the upcoming fixtures. If we can keep out of the drop-zone until mid-December then the fixtures begin to look much kinder.

Newcastle are on a nice little run, and got a bit of confidence going so they won't be easy to beat.

We are 12 games in now, about time the lads gave us a full 90 minute error free performance. UTV!

3 hours ago, Elton said:

I'll quote it so it is preserved for you ;)

If anyone wants to lessen the inevitable blow sky are offering 16/1 on Clark scoring a header or 6/1 on him scoring anytime.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Haha 1