Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 13 of 38)

zab6359

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Baring a couple of games.....We have been in every one....We haven't been mullered, but we have to compete for 90 + minutes.

stupid, stupid errors has cost us dearly.

I still think 4-3-3 away from home is wishful and offers the opposition a way in.

We are not a park the bus team, but equally, we are too benevolent.....some issues is organisational, some issues is decision making and some issues is courage ( no ducking a free kicks please).

For me Bruce was too cautious and Smith too open at times.....somewhere in the middle would be fine for me...we need to get the balance right.

Some good points there:: 

energy and legs seem to disappear too regularily after 70-80 minutes----just look at the goals we concede in the last quarter of a game:

from the first game at Spurs schoolboy errors have cost us dearly-----letting ball bounce,square  passing across our 18 yrd line,leaving it to someone else,passes going astray,silly free kicks in dangerous areas, etc etc.

i dont think we are strong enough for 433 away ---especially with our personnel--and -not tracking back happens too often,---we have sufficient midfield players to go 4231 or 41311 or any other formation-- 

courage or commitment was sure lacking from a few on sunday the ducking incident a fine example,----and the marking for the free kick was non-existant,---Neves does have a reputation for long strikes!

the next 4 games we need to get some points---we dont want to be caught up in a bottom 4 rat race----especially so early in the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Monday Night Football live on Sky. What could go wrong. Going to be a meltdown of epic proportions if we get done by Bruce. Wonder if anyone smuggles some cabbage in just for pure banter

Because a loss would be an absolute disaster. Chelsea, Man Utd and Leicester are up next.

Lose to Newcastle and we certainly will be in the bottom 3 in Christmas.

Firstly we need a win, this is a must win game. It would be nice if we could put in a full 90+ minute performance where we take control in the closing stages to comfortably see the game out, but 3pts is the be all and end all. Our game management simply has to improve, and I think we can and have to make better use of our subs at the right times. Of course we are hamstrung up front with Wesley the only option, not signing another forward option is looking to be a bigger mistake with each passing game, somehow we have to find a solution  to get someone in and around Wesley to both help him and bring a different threat. Maybe get ElGhazi or McGinn playing around Wesley further up the pitch, McGinn in particular has looked to do too much himself in the last couple or so games. He might be useful hassling the Newcastle back line. Whatever. Solutions have to be found because I think we’re relatively predictable at the moment.

6 hours ago, sne said:

Newcastle will be without captain Jamaal Lascelles for up to three months after he suffered knee ligament damage in the 2-1 win over Bournemouth.

Shame for them, good for us.

Big miss for them.  He’s a promising young player.   Let’s not forget that “Agent Clark” will probably start for them, which should help! 

9 hours ago, sne said:

Newcastle will be without captain Jamaal Lascelles for up to three months after he suffered knee ligament damage in the 2-1 win over Bournemouth.

Shame for them, good for us.

Hopefully will have a negative impact for them both against us and for their future matches!

The stats show he has been big for them in terms of blocks and clearances (it also highlights how key Mings is for us).

Premier-League-Most-Blocks-and-Clearance

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Big miss for them.  He’s a promising young player.   Let’s not forget that “Agent Clark” will probably start for them, which should help! 

Exactly what I was going to say, watch him go and have a stormer now

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Hopefully will have a negative impact for them both against us and for their future matches!

The stats show he has been big for them in terms of blocks and clearances (it also highlights how key Mings is for us).

Premier-League-Most-Blocks-and-Clearance

Fwiw Schar is also doubtful for the game against us.

• Like 1

Jack will return, and we will batter them about 5-0. 

Bruce was always terrible against Smith from memory. Though, I guess they only actually had 2 or 3 games against each other. 

Edited by PieFacE

We need to attack this one and really do need a great atmosphere at VP.

Providing everyone is fit;

---------------------Heaton-------------------

--Guilbert--Engels--Mings--Targett--

---McGinn--Nakamba--Hourihane---

------Al Ghazi--Wesley--Grealish-----

Subs: Nyland, Konsa, Hause, Luiz, Lansbury, Trez, Kodj

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles is out until the New Year with a knee injury, that’s great news for us and it means that Ciaran Clark will probably play

Ciaran Clark will also probably score!

• Like 1