Pre-Match thread (Cup Final 13 of 38)

zab6359

2 hours ago, smg said:

Forget Taylor v Targett, how would you rank Taylor, Lowton  and Enda Stevens ?  I would go Lowton, Taylor, Stevens. But we all know they are all shit and not good enough for the Villa even though two of them are regulars in premier league teams higher up the table than we are.

They're all better than Joe Bennett if that helps! He really was the worst actual defender of the lot.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They're all better than Joe Bennett if that helps! He really was the worst actual defender of the lot.

They were all gash, in fact the last decent left back we had was probably Freddie Bouma and that was over 10 years ago! Bertrand was also pretty decent I guess but was only on loan for a few months.

I'm still not convinced Targett is the long term solution in that position but at the moment I'd choose him over Taylor all day long, even if Taylor is perhaps a little bit more conservative in his approach. At home to Newcastle we should be going for it and overlapping full backs will give us a better chance to score. It's not exactly like Taylor didn't struggle with Traore against Wolves anyway - he was nowhere to be seen when Traore set up their second goal. 

In a different time I think Lowton would've developed into a solid premier league FB as he has done for Burnley. Yes he was slow once opposition knocked the ball past him but he had a nice cross on him and was decent on the ball.

It has to be remembered we were signing guys from league 1,2 and league of Ireland and throwing them into a poor premier league team and expecting great performances. Some were starting to do o.k and then 15-0 and Bradford happened and that was the black mark for many of them.

The next summer of course we went back to the foreign market and the delights of Bacuna and Luna turned up.

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He's also the second just relegated manager in PL history so there's that too.

He's in the middle between Pulis and Warnock.

All play varying degrees of direct football, SB isn't as anti football as those two but given all the punts up to Hogan that shows he likes to get the ball up the pitch quickly than slowly building.

Pulis with no relegations, Bruce with two and Warnock with a relegation every time he was top flight manager.

Still I'm not going to be hurling abuse or cabbage at him tomorrow as I do think he's a decent bloke who did try his best here, just disappointing how we approached that play off final which sums up his limitations as a manager imo.

Interesting some of the stuff Wyness was saying in the People today if that article hasn't been put up somewhere on here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

They were all gash, in fact the last decent left back we had was probably Freddie Bouma and that was over 10 years ago! Bertrand was also pretty decent I guess but was only on loan for a few months.

I'm still not convinced Targett is the long term solution in that position but at the moment I'd choose him over Taylor all day long, even if Taylor is perhaps a little bit more conservative in his approach. At home to Newcastle we should be going for it and overlapping full backs will give us a better chance to score. It's not exactly like Taylor didn't struggle with Traore against Wolves anyway - he was nowhere to be seen when Traore set up their second goal. 

That’s because he was up the pitch and given an hospital pass by Mcginn. I don’t rate Taylor but he was completely out the game for Wolves second goal.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

In a different time I think Lowton would've developed into a solid premier league FB as he has done for Burnley. Yes he was slow once opposition knocked the ball past him but he had a nice cross on him and was decent on the ball.

It has to be remembered we were signing guys from league 1,2 and league of Ireland and throwing them into a poor premier league team and expecting great performances. Some were starting to do o.k and then 15-0 and Bradford happened and that was the black mark for many of them.

The next summer of course we went back to the foreign market and the delights of Bacuna and Luna turned up.

Lowton was one of our better players. I don’t get why we sold him and I can’t even remember who replaced him.  

Back on topic. Hopefully Targett plays tomorrow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smg said:

Forget Taylor v Targett, how would you rank Taylor, Lowton  and Enda Stevens ?  I would go Lowton, Taylor, Stevens. But we all know they are all shit and not good enough for the Villa even though two of them are regulars in premier league teams higher up the table than we are.

Yeah i miss Lowton.

Very consistent and reliable.

We have to win. 3 points tomorrow night would be vital considering how run of games and I'll be completely honest, I really really don't want Steve Bruce beating us. Deano smacked him about every time in the Championship, let's keep that going. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

2 relegations? He has 4 promotions so he is still up. 

Who’s the most relegated manager? Warnock?

Dave Bassett with 3. Bruce is tied with such esteemed company as Alex McLeish, Gary Megson and Iain Dowie among others with 2 relegations.

• Like 2