Pre-Match Thread

zab6359

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Oh god I can see us losing this. They'll be buzzing to play here and prove their worth, they've literally got nothing to lose.

I hate games like this, it's like playing blues, we can't win!

We win if wes hits the goal trail

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

The same Kodjia who had the most ridiculous pineapple hairstyle last season and then never headed the ball in case it ruined his hair?

It's laughable how weak we are up front where Keinan Davis is arguably considered our best striker by quite a few, the same Davis who has scored a grand total of 2 goals in 4 years, which is 2 less than Wesley has scored in half a season. I like Davis, but the fact is that he should not be a starting Premier League striker yet. He wouldn't make the bench of most other clubs in the league.

On a side note, does anyone have the number for Jordan Bowery's agent? Asking for a friend

Whats the problem of giving Davis a start in PL? its not as we'll be losing too much by not playing Wesley.

I’d like to see something different for this game, we should use it as a trial game. I wouldn’t play McGinn at all, I’d leave him at home. Ditto Wesley, leave him out the line up completely. Grealish on the bench, let’s face it we really can’t afford him to pick up an injury against a youthful LFC team out to make a point. 

No win situation tonight. A loss will seriously dent already fragile confidence and cause a meltdown on here and a win will be seen as expected “they were only playing a bunch of kids anyway”

13 minutes ago, smg said:

No win situation tonight. A loss will seriously dent already fragile confidence and cause a meltdown on here and a win will be seen as expected “they were only playing a bunch of kids anyway”

i hope that doesn't happen if we win. you may see a form of meltdown if we struggle through 1-0 or though extra time/pens. but if we batter them, surely that will give them a bit of confidence. especially kodj/wes. whoever you're playing, there's nothing more satisfying than seeing goal after goal going in

On 16/12/2019 at 15:24, TheAuthority said:

To me its a f****g travesty that Liverplop ( the great and mighty, deserve the league for showing up supposedly in this day and age, Liverplop) are sending a youth team, potentially without their manager  (for real??) to play Aston Villa in the League Cup Quarter Final.

The reason? To play in Qatar.

For money.

Possibly one for the Games Gone thread too but shame on them. They have won it 8 times. We have won it 5 times. Shame on them.

Sorry this doesn't make sense to me, they are going because that's where the Club World cup is. 

What did you want them to do, not go and stay here and play us instead....

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Whats the problem of giving Davis a start in PL? its not as we'll be losing too much by not playing Wesley.

I think you misinterpreted what I said.

The point is that Davis should be starting based on our current squad.

But there is no way he makes the bench for most other clubs in the league.

That's how weak we are up front.

1 hour ago, Ouchmefoot said:

The league is more important but this is our best chance of winning something this year. I'd love to go back to Wembley :)

Unless tomorrow sees some pretty astonishing results, getting to Wembley is going to be highly unlikely.  Beating Leicester or the Manchesters over 2 legs is beyond where we are now.

A bit about the players we might face.'

Everything you need to know about the Liverpool youngsters set to take on Villa

Caoimhin Kelleher

Hailing from Cork, the 21-year-old goalkeeper has put in a string of impressive performances for the Republic of Ireland’s Under-21s and is touted to make the step up when his youth team coach Stephen Kenny succeeds Mick McCarthy in charge of the seniors.

With the goalkeeping trio of Alisson, Adrian and Andy Lonergan at the Club World Cup, he’ll continue his run of League Cup starts having done well to keep a clean sheet against MK Dons before a match-winning penalty save against Dani Ceballos in the last round.

Ki-Jana Hoever

Still just 17, the Dutch right-back has quickly become one of the more recognisable names in Liverpool’s youth ranks after making the switch from Ajax’s academy in 2018.

He scored first Liverpool goal in the win over MK Dons and followed that up with a stunning solo effort in the Under-17 World Cup.

After featuring here, he’ll fly out to Qatar to join up with the first team along with Sepp Van den Berg and Harvey Elliott.

Morgan Boyes

Chester-born Wales Under-19 international Boyes has been on Liverpool’s books since Under-11 level and developed particularly well while Steven Gerrard was in charge of the Under-18s.

Now 18, this could prove something of a breakthrough campaign for the academy star. He’s played in all six of the UEFA Youth League games as well as eight times in the Premier League 2, the time has now come for his senior debut.

Sepp van den Berg

Signed from PEC Zwolle in the summer, the 17-year-old Dutch prospect was one of the only additions in a low-key summer transfer window for the newly-crowned European champions.

He was given a difficult night’s work against the likes of Gabriel Martinelli and Ainsley Maitland-Niles last time around, shipping five goals, but Liverpool nevertheless made it through and he’ll have another opportunity to show what he can offer this time around.

Yasser Larouci

After excelling in Liverpool’s pre-season tour of America, holding his own against Jadon Sancho in a friendly against Borussia Dortmund, the Algerian-born Le Havre academy graduate follows in prodigious footsteps: Paul Pogba, Dimitri Payet and Benjamin Mendy have all come through that hallowed youth system.

He won the FA Youth Cup last season and it’s hoped he can be Andy Robertson’s understudy going forward.

Herbie Kane

A surprise inclusion in Liverpool’s 29-man Champions League squad, Kane is clearly well thought of in the senior hierarchy.

The 20-year-old midfielder was a key player on loan at Doncaster Rovers last season as they narrowly missed out on the play-offs and was regarded as one of the best young players in League One.

Pedro Chirivella

At 22 years of age, Spanish talent Chirivella will likely be the oldest Liverpool player on the pitch as he looks to lead from the base of midfield.

He’s had three loan moves away – at Go Ahead Eagles, Willem II, Extremadura – since originally joining from Valencia’s academy in 2015, but is now back in the fold at his parent club.

He first made his senior debut in January 2016 in an FA Cup match against Exeter but went over three years without appearing for Klopp’s team, coming off the bench in each of the last two rounds. There was some controversy about his appearance against MK Dons, as he lacked international clearance, but Liverpool got away with a fine.

Isaac Christie-Davies

Wales Under-21 international Christie-Davies will likely be one of the older and more experienced players on the pitch here on his senior debut, having made the bench on a couple of previous occasions.

The Brighton-born midfielder was on Chelsea’s books as a teenager before making the switch to Merseyside in the summer of 2018. He’s said to be an adept and talented passer of the ball.

Harvey Elliott

Elliott notably made his league debut for Fulham just 30 days after his 16th birthday, becoming the youngest-ever Premier League player.

Less than a year on, he’s left Craven Cottage for Anfield and has caught the eye when given opportunities in this cup run. He was unfortunate not to score against MK Dons, hitting the woodwork twice, while he put in a lively performance against Arsenal, winning a penalty.

He’s set for a third straight League Cup start here.

Luis Longstaff

Hailing from Darlington and a product of the Newcastle United academy – though no relation to fellow graduates Sean and Matty Longstaff – 18-year-old winger Luis Longstaff made the switch to Anfield back in 2015.

A regular for Critchley’s Under-23s, he can play on either wing or through the middle and has scored three goals in 10 appearances in the Premier League 2 this season. An unused substitute in the 2-0 win over MK Dons, he’s expected to make his first-team debut against Villa.

Rhian Brewster

The most high-profile starlet left behind is a doubt to make it after suffering an ankle injury, which would be a shame for the highly-rated striker.

Tipped to break through as a first-teamer eventually, he started each of their last two League Cup games, dispatching a penalty in the shootout win over Arsenal.

“He’s got a knock so he’s doubtful,” said Critchley. “We’re assessing him, fingers crossed he makes it. We’ll see.”

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-liverpool-youngsters-set-to-take-on-villa/

• Thanks 3