Pre-Match Thread

zab6359

7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

To me its a f****g travesty that Liverplop ( the great and mighty, deserve the league for showing up supposedly in this day and age, Liverplop) are sending a youth team, potentially without their manager  (for real??) to play Aston Villa in the League Cup Quarter Final.

The reason? To play in Qatar.

For money.

Possibly one for the Games Gone thread too but shame on them. They have won it 8 times. We have won it 5 times. Shame on them.

As much as everyone loves to Liverpool bash on this forum, it's not really their fault. Football league knows at start of every season when World club cup takes place (it will actually move to the summer next season) so seems a bit odd to just hope Liverpool would get knocked out before so they wouldn't have the issue.

I've said before I wouldn't have had an issue playing this after FA cup 3rd round weekend but here we are and we pretty much have a bye into the next round.

We are 2/9 with Coral to win this one! It is nice to start as favourites in a game against Liverpool, its been a while..;)

We do have to win this one though. We are too near to another Wembley appearance, to not give this game the sort of respect that our visitors have chosen not to give it. We would also never hear the last of it, should we lose to a makeshift Liverpool youth team. Despite this, Saturday's league game is obviously the more crucial for us. For that reason, I would have a couple of our regular starters, who look to be in need of a rest, sit on the bench for this one. They are then, available to come on for the last 30 minutes, should that be necessary (which it shouldn't be). 🤞I would otherwise play as strong a team as is possible. We really do need a win, to give us some degree of confidence to take into our next three league games, which happen to be against the three teams that currently sit below us in the league table.

This will be the tenth cup tie between the two clubs. We won our last cup meeting at Wembley 4 years ago, Stevie G may well still fondly recall the game. :) Our only previous cup win against our visitors, was again in an FA Cup semi-final, this time in 1897. We won 3-0 back then, the same score would seem appropriate for this one. Get it done Villa!   

• Like 2

The big difference between academy football and the professional game is the physicality of matches, so I would look to exploit that against a bunch of kids. Sure, they will be able to pass the ball around for fun but up against a physical team they won't stand a chance. For that reason I'd play Wesley, mostly because he's the most bullying of the strikers we have, and also just to try and get him on the scoresheet and break his duck.

For me the problem with Wesley at the moment is an extreme lack of confidence and overthinking what he's going to do with it. Hopefully a goal or two can help him get some of that confidence back. On the other hand if he can't score against a bunch of schoolboys then he really is as useless as we all think.

If we don't win this game it will be the most embarrassing defeat since the Bradford tie in the semis, arguably even more embarrassing. There should be no excuses and I hope that they will take this game seriously enough.

Interestingly Liverpool will have the element of surprise on their side, as we will have no idea who we're up against, how they play, what formation they'll set up with and so on. Still, no excuses for our easiest passage through to a semi-final in a long time, and I hope we have the tie won by half time.

• Like 1

Nyland

Elmo  Konsa  Hause  Taylor

Lansbury  Hourihane

Trez           Jota             Kodjia

Davis

(If all fit)

Get the job done!

UTV 

Edited by WakefieldVillan

Grealish and McGinn left at home on the sofa please.

I think I'd start Wes and try and get him to clobber some children out the way and smash some goals in. Maybe start and give him 45, then bring him off and try Trez if Wes is being outplayed by the children which is a distinct possibility.

2 hours ago, MadridVilla said:

The big difference between academy football and the professional game is the physicality of matches, so I would look to exploit that against a bunch of kids. Sure, they will be able to pass the ball around for fun but up against a physical team they won't stand a chance. For that reason I'd play Wesley, mostly because he's the most bullying of the strikers we have, and also just to try and get him on the scoresheet and break his duck.

For me the problem with Wesley at the moment is an extreme lack of confidence and overthinking what he's going to do with it. Hopefully a goal or two can help him get some of that confidence back. On the other hand if he can't score against a bunch of schoolboys then he really is as useless as we all think.

If we don't win this game it will be the most embarrassing defeat since the Bradford tie in the semis, arguably even more embarrassing. There should be no excuses and I hope that they will take this game seriously enough.

Interestingly Liverpool will have the element of surprise on their side, as we will have no idea who we're up against, how they play, what formation they'll set up with and so on. Still, no excuses for our easiest passage through to a semi-final in a long time, and I hope we have the tie won by half time.

That'll be Kodjia then. :D A right pair of pussies.

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

If Wesley starts on Saturday i'd be close at the edge of being Smith out. Seriously.

If i didn't know any better i would think Smith is trying to sabotage our football club or someone is telling him to do so.

Most baffling post of the week thus far. What are his options? A player he wants to get rid off and a player who has a even worse goal ratio than Wesley who was playing in a dominant team in a division below.

5 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Most baffling post of the week thus far. What are his options? A player he wants to get rid off and a player who has a even worse goal ratio than Wesley who was playing in a dominant team in a division below.

Now Davis is back there are 2 other options.

Trezeguet and El Ghazi are also well suited playing there.

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

well, not really, it's not like it's some exhibition tournament. it's playing the winners of all continental competitions to boast that you're the best team in the world. it's a legitimate competition. an expansion on the intercontinental cup that we played when we were european champions. if we won the champions league, i know i wouldn't give a monkeys about the efl cup

Thats a real shame.

This is MUST win for Smith.

Due to a disgraceful set of recent results, I expect "Dunno Deano" to name a strong team including Grealish McGinn and Wesley.

I would like to see Villa echo stan collymores words and play like total c*nts by roughing up liverpools kids. Verbals, off the ball digs and studs up challenges early on win the game for "dirty dirty Villa"

I want to go to wembley again. and a two legged semi against oxford will be suitable revenge for what happened in 1986.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Smith won’t ever start Kodjia ahead of Wesley. He’s immune from being dropped. Smith seems happy to drop Guilbert, Luis etc. after decent games but not our striker after 16 bad ones. Odd. 

When did he drop Guilbert? He's missed two games since he came in - one he was suspended, and one was the first game after than when Elmo hung onto the shirt after a decent performance? Am I missing one?

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

That'll be Kodjia then. :D A right pair of pussies.

The same Kodjia who had the most ridiculous pineapple hairstyle last season and then never headed the ball in case it ruined his hair?

It's laughable how weak we are up front where Keinan Davis is arguably considered our best striker by quite a few, the same Davis who has scored a grand total of 2 goals in 4 years, which is 2 less than Wesley has scored in half a season. I like Davis, but the fact is that he should not be a starting Premier League striker yet. He wouldn't make the bench of most other clubs in the league.

On a side note, does anyone have the number for Jordan Bowery's agent? Asking for a friend