Pre-Match Thread

zab6359

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Predicted Liverpool side:

Kelleher, Hoever, Boyes, van den Berg, Larouci, Chirivella, Kane, Christie-Davies, Elliott, Longstaff, Stewart.

Anyone know anything about those?

I know that Elliott looks like a used Q-tip.

• Haha 2

Jack and McGinn should be nowhere near the squad for this, imagine one of them got injured and missed the Xmas period?! 

I'd go:

Nyland/Kalinic

Elmo Chester Hause  Taylor

Hourihane Douglas Luiz Lansbury

Jota         Wesley     Trezeguet

• Like 1

While the cup might not be a huge priority while fighting to avoid relegation I still want us to win this. Obviously because I always want us to win.

But also because it's getting far to familiar to that first season under Lambert and losing to the Plop kids team would be this season equivalent to crashing out to League 2 Bradford.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

To me its a f****g travesty that Liverplop ( the great and mighty, deserve the league for showing up supposedly in this day and age, Liverplop) are sending a youth team, potentially without their manager  (for real??) to play Aston Villa in the League Cup Quarter Final.

The reason? To play in Qatar.

For money.

Possibly one for the Games Gone thread too but shame on them. They have won it 8 times. We have won it 5 times. Shame on them.

well, not really, it's not like it's some exhibition tournament. it's playing the winners of all continental competitions to boast that you're the best team in the world. it's a legitimate competition. an expansion on the intercontinental cup that we played when we were european champions. if we won the champions league, i know i wouldn't give a monkeys about the efl cup

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nigel said:

Wes needs to play for me, he needs confidence over a rest!

12 hours ago, Spoony said:

No chance. If Kodjia is properly back from injury he needs game time so he can become our starting striker. 

i'm really torn on this. both arguments have merit. but if wes is able to bully a liverpool reserve side, does that really tell us much about him? i think i'd rather kodj had valuable minutes as he's clearly not match fit...and we'll also see whether he still own a pair of scoring boots

This is a bit of a tricky one. We need to balance the players who need a rest and the players who need to play. I think I would go with:

Heaton

Elmo Konsa Hause Taylor

Nakemba

Lansbury                     Hourihane

Jota

Kodija Wesley

I think the above team is when we are in possession. We can fall back into a more standard 4-3-3 when in defense with Jota and Kodija taking up wider positions. 

I'd be tempted to leave McGinn, Targett, Mings, etc out of the squad completely. Maybe put the likes of Vasilev and Sea on the bench. I would have Grealish, Engels, Guilbert, Luiz on the bench if needed.  

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Kelleher, Hoever, Boyes, van den Berg, Larouci, Chirivella, Kane, Christie-Davies, Elliott, Longstaff, Stewart.

Hoever sounds like they don't even care who plays at the back.

• Like 3

What I'd like to see:

GK: Anyone but Wesley
DR: Anyone but Wesley
DL: Anyone but Wesley
CB: Anyone but Wesley
MF:Anyone but Wesley
MF: Anyone but Wesley
AML: Anyone but Wesley
AMR: Anyone but Wesley
CF: Anyone but Wesley

What I think Smith will do:

GK: Name out of a hat
DR: Name out of a hat
DL: Name out of a hat
CB: Name out of a hat
MF:Name out of a hat
MF: Name out of a hat
AML: Name out of a hat
AMR: Name out of a hat
CF: Wesley

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Rest? He’s only played 20 minutes all year hasn’t he? 

Don't want him injured.

How much will a game against kids prepare him for a competitive Prem game?

Not against the idea of Kodjia starting though.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Don't want him injured.

How much will a game against kids prepare him for a competitive Prem game?

Not against the idea of Kodjia starting though.

Smith won’t ever start Kodjia ahead of Wesley. He’s immune from being dropped. Smith seems happy to drop Guilbert, Luis etc. after decent games but not our striker after 16 bad ones. Odd. 

53 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What I'd like to see:

GK: Anyone but Wesley
DR: Anyone but Wesley
DL: Anyone but Wesley
MF:Anyone but Wesley
AML: Anyone but Wesley
AMR: Anyone but Wesley
CF: Anyone but Wesley

What I think Smith will do:

GK: Name out of a hat
DR: Name out of a hat
DL: Name out of a hat
MF: Name out of a hat
AML: Name out of a hat
AMR: Name out of a hat
CF: Wesley

we get in you don't like Wesley! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Smith won’t ever start Kodjia ahead of Wesley. He’s immune from being dropped. Smith seems happy to drop Guilbert, Luis etc. after decent games but not our striker after 16 bad ones. Odd. 

If Wesley starts on Saturday i'd be close at the edge of being Smith out. Seriously.

If i didn't know any better i would think Smith is trying to sabotage our football club or someone is telling him to do so.

Edited by villalad21

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That Kane is called Herbie Kane (stop laughing at the back). He was on loan at Doncaster last season in league 1 and did well.

I thought Chirivella might've been the one who did well v Wolves in FA cup last season when they put out a scratch team (stronger than this one though) but that was actually Hoever who looked a talent.

Ultimately when draw was made you'd have expected an Origi and Milner in as the experienced heads to help the young ones but they'll all be in Qatar.

There should be no excuses for not winning this. Arguably Wolves put out a stronger team in last round against us.