Pre-Match Thread

zab6359

Well done to the FA - a team enters competitions on the basis that they'll be able to fulfil their fixtures - it's the team's problem, not the leagues if they enter more competitions than they can play in. 

As it is, we'll now see a weakened team, although it'll be interesting to see who goes where and I think we may see two reasonable teams and two very weak benches - still, we pushed their full strength squad at the weekend and we'll have an opportunity against whoever they put out for this. I'm looking forward to it.

On 04/11/2019 at 15:18, zab6359 said:

Have a feeling the powers that be are going to bend over backwards to try and accommodate Liverpool on this one. They are choosing to attend the Club World Cup they have a big squad just field two different teams.

Well seems it will be played as scheduled and on Sky for those in the UK. Will be interesting to see there line up, should imagine the World Club Cup will take precedence as far as team selection goes. 

Apparently Plop will be managed by their U23 coach Neil Critchley, or so the Dailymail speculates.

Liverpool Under 23 coach Neil Critchley is set for the biggest night of his career by taking charge of the first-team's Carabao Cup quarter-final against Aston Villa next month. 

Manager Jurgen Klopp has not completely made his mind up to miss the last-eight tie at Villa Park, which in an unprecedented move will take place 24 hours before Liverpool's Club World Cup semi-final in Qatar, but the logistical difficulties of attending both matches make it likely that he will already be in Doha when the Carabao Cup match is taking place.

Klopp will make a final decision on his travel plans when submitting his squad for the Club World Cup to FIFA at the start of December, but is minded to fly to Doha with his squad earlier in the week to take charge of training. 

The German's assistant, Pep Lijnders, is another possibility to take the Carabao Cup team at Villa Park but Klopp is likely to want him at his side as Liverpool prepare for a prestigious tournament they will be aiming to win for the first time after losing to Brazilian club Sao Paulo in the final in 2005.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7657637/Liverpool-23-boss-Neil-Critchley-line-charge-Carabao-Cup-quarter-final-tie.html

Really hope we don't approach this game as facing Liverpool but rather as facing youth team wearing Liverpool kits.

Unless they pull a fast one and actually field a strong side, but I don't see how they could.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Some of their best youth players are going to the club world championships - this might not even be their best youth side.

If we lose this it will be a bit embarrassing https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50668982 

Liverpool have named a strong 23-man squad for the Fifa Club World Cup - which clashes with their Carabao Cup quarter-final at Aston Villa.

Eighteen of the 19 players named in Jurgen Klopp's two Premier League matchday squads over the past week will travel to Qatar.

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Some of their best youth players are going to the club world championships - this might not even be their best youth side.

Apparently some of the kids in that squad will play against us and then fly out. My mate sent me  this predicted team From one of their fansites:

Kelleher; Williams, Hoever, Van den Berg, Larouci; Dixon-Bonner, Chirivella, Kane; Jones, Elliott, Brewster

I’d go relatively full strength - not often we get chance to reach a semi final and we can always make subs if we happen to be ahead in the game.

My team would be

Steer
Elmo, Konsa, Hause, Taylor
Luiz
Hourihane Lansbury 
Trezeguet Davis Jota

10 hours ago, chappy said:

Apparently some of the kids in that squad will play against us and then fly out. My mate sent me  this predicted team From one of their fansites:

Kelleher; Williams, Hoever, Van den Berg, Larouci; Dixon-Bonner, Chirivella, Kane; Jones, Elliott, Brewster

I’d go relatively full strength - not often we get chance to reach a semi final and we can always make subs if we happen to be ahead in the game.

My team would be

Steer
Elmo, Konsa, Hause, Taylor
Luiz
Hourihane Lansbury 
Trezeguet Davis Jota

Decent team and good enough to beat Liverpool U21/U19 but I'm sure Steer is out for a while (2 months from what I remember) - so we'll either get to see Nyland or Heaton in goal, probably the former. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure how to approach this one now. We could do with a win to give the players a bit of a lift - but maybe one or two could do with a rest.

For me the need to find some confidence overcomes the need for a rest.

I also think we need to find a way to force them to play football in midfield and we need to get Wesley out of the spotlight for a game - with that in mind, I'd go:

----------------------------------Heaton----------------------------------

Elmo-------------Engels---------------Hause-------------Target

--------------------------Luiz-----------Nakamba----------------------

El Ghazi----------McGinn---------Grealish----------Trezeguet

No striker - make the midfield play and encourage them to get forward - it'll be hard work for them but it'll sharpen them up for the challenges ahead.

• Haha 1

I don't agree with dropping Wesley. You talk of the importance of confidence, for no player is that becoming more of an issue than him.

I'd start both Wesley and Kodjia, play a relatively strong side, and hope Liverpool's side is tired from their paper round. I'd go all out with the goal of thrashing them, and hoping Wesley and Kodjia can rediscover their goalscoring boots.

And if he can't bully the Liverpool youth team...**** it, I give up with him.

• Like 3

McGinn needs a rest and Grealish needs to start from the bench for me. 

Id go stronger than previous rounds but still we need to realise we have a lot of important games coming up.

Edited by Nigel

Do we stick or twist for this one?  Strong first eleven in the hope of gaining confidence or fringe players as little risk, but gaining fitness etc?  Think Smith will go with a mix of both: 

---------------------Nyland-------------------

--Elmo——Konsa--Hause——Taylor--

——Lansbury—Luiz—Hourihane——

——Jota——Kodjia——Trez——

Subs: Heaton, Chester, Targett, Nakamba, Grealish, El G, Wesley

Personally, I’m not against anyone starting. I would just like to see a performance and a win so our confidence improves going into three very important league games. 

For me I’d try and get the confidence up of some player while resting others.

GK (any)

elmo Konsa hause tays

trez Conor Luiz el ghazi 

kodja Wes 

442 back to basics, jack on bench if needed 2nd half.

Edited by Hobbit Feet

Great chance of getting to a semi final we need to be playing a fairly strong side.

Nyland 

Guilbert Engels Hause Targett

Luiz Nakamba

Lansbury        Jack         Conor

Kodjia

Subs: Heaton,  Konsa, Chester, Elmo, Jota, AEG, Wesley