Pre-Match Thread

zab6359

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I dunno, those Liverpool kids are streets above what wolves put out. It'll be tricky.

Wolves did had some players that they had spent some serious money on, as well as some players who had first team games behind them, as well as kids. This will be a team made up of kids, less those that have been loaned out. They do have one of the first picks when it comes to taking on young talent though, so they are likely to be rather good. 

Kids should not win quarter finals away from home, against a PL team that is made up of players with plenty of first team/international experience though...🤞  

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't know much about goalkeeping - nothing actually :D, but can anyone confirm that they really need a `rest', and, if so, why? Surely they spend most of their time hanging about in the goal mouth.

I think that they would want to be playing, certainly that was the case back in the day. I think that today, it's about giving squad keepers an odd first team cup game, so that they are ready should they need to be called upon in the league and so that they remain happy/involved. It also keeps the regular starter wrapped up in cotton wool for the more crucial games to come. That said, I would play Tom tonight.  

• Like 1

This thing about the Wolves is odd - the Liverpool team tonight isn't the Wolves equivalent of this side.

Sure, there were some youngsters in there, but Wolves paid £16m for Cutrone - they paid £18m for Neto and Jordan, Vinagre has played a lot for the first team, Vallejo is the Captain of Spain U21's and on loan from Real Madrid and Ruddy in goal is hardly a spring daffodil! That was a team from Wolves bench with a couple of youngsters thrown in - Wolves played their second team, not their youth side - they're a young group, but they're the squad equivalents of Lansbury and Davis - not Ben Guy and Indiana Vassilev.

Liverpool's young group that we'll see tonight is very talented, there are some real prospects in it - but they're not the same as the Wolves side that we played by a long chalk.

• Like 1

From looking on a Liverpool forum It's not even going to be their strongest u23 team, Yasser Larouci, Curtis Jones, Neco Williams, Adam Lewis, and Rhian Brewster. who would all normally play are injured. It's not uncommon to see the u23 sides from clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City get thrashed by league one and two sides in the EFL trophy, if we were to lose this it would probably be the biggest cup upset in our history.

Edited by useless

11 minutes ago, useless said:

From looking on a Liverpool forum It's not even going to be their strongest u23 team, Yasser Larouci, Curtis Jones, Neco Williams, Adam Lewis, and Rhian Brewster. who would all normally play are injured. It's not uncommon to see the u23 sides from clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Man City get thrashed by league one and two sides in the EFL trophy, if we were to lose this it would probably be the biggest cup upset in our history.

After speaking to a Liverpool supporting mate earlier I come on here to post the same. Apparently there are a couple of lads likely to feature tonight that can't even get into their u23's. 

This is difficult for Smith, ideally I'm sure he would like to rest a few but the plop team is so inexperienced that a lose would be devastating for moral.  

58 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

Apparently Chester is going to be involved tonight according to Gregg Evans.

Edit: Apologies - he's "expected" to be involved tonight!

Be nice to see him back out on the pitch.

We just need to go out there with the right attitude and we should be fine.

My boss is a Liverpool season ticket holder, follows them to the big European games and all the home games - he just discussed the likely Liverpool line up and he's only heard of THREE of the players.

I hate that people seem happy to write this cup off though (even if we get passed Liverpool), personally I don't feel like it is a choice between our Premier League status or a League Cup win / final - why not both?!

Sure it will be difficult with the teams that are left, but there has been plenty of shocks this season and who's to say we can't produce a couple of our own!

On 15/12/2019 at 13:38, OutByEaster? said:

Predicted Liverpool side:

Kelleher, Hoever, Boyes, van den Berg, Larouci, Chirivella, Kane, Christie-Davies, Elliott, Longstaff, Stewart.

Anyone know anything about those?

21, 17, 18, 17, 18, 22, 21, 22, 16, 18, 17 years old.

• Like 1

Well, I'm up and ready to watch us live. Excited to rejoin the support as I missed the Sheffield United game. Can't say I'm overly confident about this one though.

I guess it just depends on how well we've prepared and anticipated key factors and how committed to the contest each and every Villa player is over 90 minutes.

We can do it, I'm just not sure we're there yet.

UTV.

Whilst it's obvious that we should be favourites, and it's equally obvious that an experienced Villa side has no excuse for losing this game, as some have mentioned these Liverpool youngsters are seriously talented and their U23s are the real deal from all accounts.

I'm not expect this to be easy by any stretch, especially when our confidence is low.

A good win tonight will really set us up for the forthcoming three league games. A loss? I don't want to think about it....

Liverpool's record defeat in the league cup is 6-3 to Arsenal, that record could be under threat tonight if we take it seriously and our players aren't too complacent. Their record defeat in all competitions is 9-1, to small heath of all teams.

47 minutes ago, useless said:

Liverpool's record defeat in the league cup is 6-3 to Arsenal, that record could be under threat tonight if we take it seriously and our players aren't too complacent. Their record defeat in all competitions is 9-1, to small heath of all teams.

My Dad was at that game. 

• Thanks 1

Another other than a win would be horrendous. However, we need to also not knacker key players ahead of a bigger match next saturday. Team selection will be interesting. I'll predict a 3-1 win. We won't keep a clean sheet. A win by multiple goals is what we need here.