The Hung Like a Donkey General Election December 2019 Thread

Jareth

Which Cunch of Bunts are you voting for?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cunch of Bunts Gets Your Hard Fought Cross

• The Evil Abusers Of The Working Man Dark Blue Team
    • The Hopelessly Divided Unicorn Chasing Red Team
    • The Couldn't Trust Them Even You Wanted To Yellow Team
    • The Demagogue Worshiping Light Blue Corportation
    • The Hippy Drippy Green Team
    • One of the Parties In The Occupied Territories That Hates England
    • I Live In Northern Ireland And My Choice Is Dictated By The Leader Of A Cult
    • I'm Out There And Found Someone Else To Vote For

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/19 at 23:00

49 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Given their central policies are completely at odds with each other, which Tory policies would you see the Lib Dems supporting?

The ones where they get a few cushy seats at no10 Downing Street.

47 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The pictures I've seen of the queues they all look quite young, so I'm going for Labour minority government  .....

I think there will be a bigger % of young people voting this time and that will give some benefit labour. On the other hand, Brexit and Corbyn are problematic for them and I think Labour have lost too many working and lower-middle class voters. Tories will win a decent majority imo. 

I know you’ll disagree, but I genuinely think that will be a tragedy for this country and It’s going to be a rough ride for a lot of people. 

I voted at a different time of day today, I usually vote at about 6:00pm or so, after work. I’m usually the only voter in there.

Voted at midday today and I had to queue behind quite a few pensioners. It felt quite good that there was a queue for voting, that people care and that people still use their democratic right.

I blocked out the fact I was the only one there that wasn’t a pensioner and the majority of pensioners turn tory.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I walked around Morrisons holding back tears buying them the requested items. This sounds ridiculous for a grown man, but I kept thinking of hungry children.

How can we live in a country where people are so desperate that they need to go to a food bank? 

That is unforgivable. It's **** disgusting. Shame on us all for allowing that to happen.

If I lived my childhood now, I'd have been down the food bank with my mum, no doubt in my mind. I was a 'free school meals' kid in the Blair years. It was a horrible stigma then. Blair might have a tainted legacy, but his Labour government ensured I got a good education (education, education!).

I don't think it sounds ridiculous at all. I feel ashamed that we allow it to happen.

I know it's Labour propaganda, it's JC's youtube channel, of course it's one sided, but parts of the video I posted up there really to me. Kids just casually talking about how there's not enough money for food, so they try not to eat much even when they're hungry. It's horrific.

Of course, if you're a tory, you just wonder why the parents, the largest of the family, don't simply eat the children. 

Edited by Davkaus

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Hide contents

If you want to know more about the devastating effects of poverty on people's life chances, I strongly recommend Ezra Klein's podcast with Sendhil Mullainathan, an expert in poverty's effects on mental capacity. It is long and hard to listen to, but hugely important: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-ezra-klein-show/e/62124623?autoplay=true

Listened to that conversation - what a cracking way to spend 90 or so minutes.

Very informative, thoughtful and challenging stuff in there.

Thanks for posting the link. :thumb:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

I try to not let politics 'get to me'. I'm generally quite good at it. 

Although I have to admit, it got me last week. The food bank were in Morrisons with flyers asking for donations. I only popped in to get cat food. 

As soon as the gentleman handed me the flyer and I understood what was going on, it stuck in my throat. 

I walked around Morrisons holding back tears buying them the requested items. This sounds ridiculous for a grown man, but I kept thinking of hungry children.

How can we live in a country where people are so desperate that they need to go to a food bank? 

That is unforgivable. It's **** disgusting. Shame on us all for allowing that to happen.

If I lived my childhood now, I'd have been down the food bank with my mum, no doubt in my mind. I was a 'free school meals' kid in the Blair years. It was a horrible stigma then. Blair might have a tainted legacy, but his Labour government ensured I got a good education (education, education!).

No, inequality isn't inevitable and it certainly isn't necessary. We've been fed class envy nonsense for years and unfortunately it appears some people go for it. 

What are we if we can't help each other out?

That's just one injustice the Tories have inflicted on the country. There are plenty more. 

“Voting isn't marriage, it's public transport. You're not waiting for ‘the one’ who's absolutely perfect: you're getting the bus, and if there isn't one to your destination, you don't not travel- you take the one going closest.”

Voted Labour. 

Anti-semite (joshing). 

Corbyn has been quietly killing it on social media imo. Compare for example the embarrassing Boris train thing. I believe labour have a deeper and more subtle understanding of current memes.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

52 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I voted at a different time of day today, I usually vote at about 6:00pm or so, after work. I’m usually the only voter in there.

Voted at midday today and I had to queue behind quite a few pensioners. It felt quite good that there was a queue for voting, that people care and that people still use their democratic right.

I blocked out the fact I was the only one there that wasn’t a pensioner and the majority of pensioners turn tory.

I went after work, arrived about 5:30 and was a short queue of old ‘ens plus a few walking away and more heading in as I left. I was surprised just how many voting. I think we might see a higher than usual turnout.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Listened to that conversation - what a cracking way to spend 90 or so minutes.

Very informative, thoughtful and challenging stuff in there.

Thanks for posting the link. :thumb:

Thanks mate. I'm glad at least one person listened to it!

I found it really challenged a lot of my assumptions about how important poverty and equality are, and I revised a number of beliefs as a result. If you read the show notes on the link, at the bottom he mentions two other shows that are on the same theme and add further to it. I found the Robert Sapolsky one in particular to be really worth a listen.

• Thanks 1