January Transfers 2019/20

sne

6 minutes ago, Farlz said:

It’s not Percy so no idea how reliable this might be. Not really aligned to the summer model of transfers but given the Terry connection it may have some legs. An interesting one for sure, would add some good experience. Think he could actually do quite well for us. 

Interesting. Thought it would be loan but didn't realise he was out of contract.

He is 32 but then I'm said before I don't mind a wise old head or two in the team who's been there and done it like he certainly has at Barca and to a lesser extent at Chelsea.

Seems to be a wierd thing on this forum that we shouldn't sign anyone over 28. Guess it's a bit different for keepers but Heaton has shown his worth in last few weeks. Wolves signed Moutinho when he was 32 and he's one of best CMs in the league.

Pedro used to playing 4-3-3, can make good runs in behind back 4 and chip in with goals and can also dribble a bit. We can certainly do a lot worse in January and probably will.

If John Percy is reporting this that suggest there's some substance behind it e.g. John Terry told him but of course clubs in Spain and other places could also come into him which can be a problem going after top level players.

Pedro?

Hmm, wouldnt be against it, but does he have the work rate we would need in a forward?, also where would he play?, cant see him as the main CF leading the line.

Possibly one of the inside forwards?

Dunno, personally if Davis can stay fit, would like to see him given more of a chance.

But, i do think we need a forward & inside fwd in Jan.

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Pedro?

Hmm, wouldnt be against it, but does he have the work rate we would need in a forward?, also where would he play?, cant see him as the main CF leading the line.

Dunno, personally if Davis can stay fit, would like to see him given more of a chance.

He's always been a wide forward in a 3, might've played false 9 once or twice at Barca but everyone know that's a unique set up there compared to majority of teams.

He'd be a starter ahead of Trez or AEG and hopefully show both what's needed to be real top level players.

He played with John Terry for two seasons so you'd like to think we'd have a good idea of application in training and all that, certainly works hard on the pitch.

He scored 9 league goals when Chelsea won the league in 16/17 and even last season he scored 8 in the league and 5 in europa.

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Pedro must be on more than £100k a week.  Seems unlikely to me.

We could basically offer less than half of that and Chelsea would cover the rest if they won't use him. 

We aren't going to be rivals to Chelsea this season, so it's win/win for them either way. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's always been a wide forward in a 3, might've played false 9 once or twice at Barca but everyone know that's a unique set up there compared to majority of teams.

He'd be a starter ahead of Trez or AEG and hopefully show both what's needed to be real top level players.

He played with John Terry for two seasons so you'd like to think we'd have a good idea of application in training and all that, certainly works hard on the pitch.

He scored 9 league goals when Chelsea won the league in 16/17 and even last season he scored 8 in the league and 5 in europa.

only thing though, a) would he actually want to come, b) would Deano actually want him, c) would he see us as a easy time or actually work for the cause?

A few points i dont know the answer to, i mean, i wouldnt say no, but.....a lot of possible down sides to the deal?

PS: now Chelsea's transfer ban is lifted and they can buy in Jan, might mean a few of their players are now available.

Edited by MaVilla

When we signed Robbie Keane he showed our other players up a bit and was a class above everyone else, I think Pedro would be similar with only Grealish being on his level. Would be surprised if it happened though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

only thing though, a) would he actually want to come, b) would Deano actually want him, c) would he see us as a easy time or actually work for the cause?

A few points i dont know the answer to, i mean, i wouldnt say no, but.....a lot of possible down sides to the deal?

PS: now Chelsea's transfer ban is lifted and they can buy in Jan, might mean a few of their players are now available.

a) probably not if Spanish/other major european teams come in but you never know. Bet you didn't think three years ago Joao Moutinho would be running the Wolves midfield but they wanted a 120 capped Euro 2016 winner and he came.

b) Yes DS should want him. Would fit into our style no problem and hopefully a good influence on younger players in team.

c) legitimate question but believe it or not every 30 year old + dosen't have the attitude of a Lescott or McCormack. As I've said John Terry would give the best information you could find given he was his captain for two years.

I'd rather have him than Morales tbh.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I think Moreles has all the attributes we are missing up front, pace, aggression, and a bit of that selfish streak all good strikers have. The big issue of course is the standard of the SPL. I don't mean to be disrespectful but the fact that Scott Sinclair can be so prolific up their makes it difficult to judge strikers from the dominant Glasgow clubs. 

He is very similar Maupay in many ways, someone I wish we had gone for. 

Moreles = el hadji diouf mrk2 , no thanks

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We won't be signing anyone who we don't have the possibility of improving and selling on for profit. 

Not even if the outlay for them gives us a much greater capacity to retain our status as a Premier League club?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Not even if the outlay for them gives us a much greater capacity to retain our status as a Premier League club?

If you look at what was said, then at all the signings since, it does look unlikely. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

If you look at what was said, then at all the signings since, it does look unlikely. 

true but the goalposts have moved since then. we're in more of a relegation scrap than they thought we would be i expect. i trust the powers that be to do whatever is required to stay in this league, including going against their transfer/loan policy

33 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

true but the goalposts have moved since then. we're in more of a relegation scrap than they thought we would be i expect. i trust the powers that be to do whatever is required to stay in this league, including going against their transfer/loan policy

Why? If it goes tits up we are saddled with an old player on shed loads of money that we cant get rid of.

Do we need back up...definitely. However it's not time to throw away plans for short term thinking for me.

Edited by Nigel
Needless waffle

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

We won't be signing anyone who we don't have the possibility of improving and selling on for profit. 

In hindsight that is easy to say, in reality when the only thing keeping you out of the bottom three is goal difference attitudes may change slightly.

He'd be a perfect fit for us and I definitely  wouldn't be against a 18 month deal, but can't really see it think he'll be heading back to Spain if anywhere.

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Pedro?

We've got work rate already - we need class/quality to play the killer pass or take up a great position. I think he'd be a great signing.