January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

"Goals win games but defences win championships"

Attempting to outscore the other team is usually a very poor plan ! You can see what has happened to Man C with a suspect D and they have offence up the yingyang.

But we aren't trying to win a league.

All we have to do is to beat the lesser sides and we'll be fine this season. We smashed Newcastle and Norwich. If we can keep doing that against mid table sides we'll be fine.

The Norwich game will be fun. 2 gung ho teams. Can see something like 4-4

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Our problem is defence. We need to invest in our defence more.

It doesn’t matter how many times we score we will always concede goals.

We generally don't against teams in the bottom half. Think only teams we've conceded more than once to are Bournemouth and Burnley. All the rest been clean sheets or just the one goal.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We generally don't against teams in the bottom half. Think only teams we've conceded more than once to are Bournemouth and Burnley. All the rest been clean sheets or just the one goal.

We really only need a half decent striker. I honestly think it's as simple as that.

4 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Attempting to outscore the other team is usually a very poor plan ! You can see what has happened to Man C with a suspect D and they have offence up the yingyang.

If we look at a random team...let's say Leicester (😉) in your good start to the season you only actually kept two clean sheets in first nine games. However you only conceded more than once in the Liverpool away game.

To me if you just concede once in a game you should still be reasonably confident of getting a result as Leicester showed in the early weeks.

It's when you concede 2s and 3s on a regular basis that makes winning games very difficult and we're having a sticky spell at the back no doubt. Part of why I think Norwich are certs to go down as they've been conceding 2 a game since pretty much the first game of the season and they simply can't outscore teams like they did in the championship.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We really only need a half decent striker. I honestly think it's as simple as that.

I'd like another wide option aswell which is where I guess one of Benrahama, Pedro or Bowen fits in.

We're really lacking options off the bench so would mean Trez and AEG would be on there more regularly so at least we could freshen things up in final third more regularly from 60th minute mark.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes, City have won two titles in a row.

That was when they had a top class defence. With Aymeric Laporte injured and Vincent Kompany leaving they are 14 points off the pace after 16 games. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we look at a random team...let's say Leicester (😉) in your good start to the season you only actually kept two clean sheets in first nine games. However you only conceded more than once in the Liverpool away game.

To me if you just concede once in a game you should still be reasonably confident of getting a result as Leicester showed in the early weeks.

It's when you concede 2s and 3s on a regular basis that makes winning games very difficult and we're having a sticky spell at the back no doubt. Part of why I think Norwich are certs to go down as they've been conceding 2 a game since pretty much the first game of the season and they simply can't outscore teams like they did in the championship.

I agree with you 100% 

14 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Exactly but we aren't trying to win a championship we are trying to stay up. And winning games is what that takes. You only need to have a good defence if you are competing look at Liverpool and how their defence was shit and they finished 3rd every year.

I also honestly think our defence is a symptom of our midfield. Not defensively but once we win the ball back we almost never keep it for more than 10-20 seconds. It is either a huge long ball well clear of Wesley which is basically impossible to win. Or a weird bouncing clearance that ends up with their full backs or we try and pass it out but with no movement we are very predictable and easy to cut out and stop. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Exactly but we aren't trying to win a championship we are trying to stay up. And winning games is what that takes. You only need to have a good defence if you are competing look at Liverpool and how their defence was shit and they finished 3rd every year.

I also honestly think our defence is a symptom of our midfield. Not defensively but once we win the ball back we almost never keep it for more than 10-20 seconds. It is either a huge long ball well clear of Wesley which is basically impossible to win. Or a weird bouncing clearance that ends up with their full backs or we try and pass it out but with no movement we are very predictable and easy to cut out and stop. 

Our defensive issues is really simple.

Smith is telling our fullbacks + midfield to bomb forward. It will make us an attacking thread but leave us exposed on the counter.

As i said as long as we outscore the likes of Norwich, Watford and Southampton we'll be fine.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Our defensive issues is really simple.

Smith is telling our fullbacks + midfield to bomb forward. It will make us an attacking thread but leave us exposed on the counter.

As i said as long as we outscore the likes of Norwich, Watford and Southampton we'll be fine.

Agree, an this is why we lost against Wolves.

6 hours ago, gurru991 said:

We arent trying to win titles 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We arent trying to win titles 

You are trying to win a title. It is a 22 game season and the title is called Premier League 2020/2021. 

Our defensive issues are probably a mixture of several things. Poor coaching, too much space between midfield and the defence, imbalanced defensive work cause McGinn is pushed too high. Then you got the wing backs bombing forward (which is fine), but to cover from that we need better tracking back.  

Norwegian studio went on yesterday about the collective pressure applied by City, RS, Leicester, Spurs and it's probably as good it's ever been. 

Maybe we need more grit and intensity in our collective pressure. I know a few have talked about it here before. Maybe they are right about it.