Mungo Bridge

sir_gary_cahill

If he's tall and wears the number 5 shirt surely there's a ready-made song for him. 

Well his hair's so fine and he wears number five. 

And he's so tall he can touch the sky. 

He plays so fine, he's got winning he's got winning on his mind. 

• 1 year later...

I thought he was one of the younger players on the pitch from his looks, but yeah, he's surprisingly old. Looked decent so maybe he could get a loan deal? Not sure I'd be confident with him playing in a proper PL game quite yet but he did seem to have potential.

I don't want this post to take anything away from the guy's herculean effort the other day, but:

I've watched him a few times for the U23s, and without meaning to be either rude or dense, I don't really know exactly what he is. I mean, he's a 'ball-playing centre back', but he really doesn't seem to have a centre back's physique and he's not great at dealing with aerial balls.

I always worry for youth team centre backs who don't fill out, because I assume it's a bit off-putting for lower league managers. I feel like Suliman had some of the same problem.

Thought he played reasonably well on Friday unfortunately at 20 I think he and all the other 20/21 year old that played looked a million miles away from being ready for premier league football in my view. Where as i thought the likes of Barry and Hayden Kessler looked like they could play minutes already and sylla to be fair to him. I always worry when a 20 year old isn’t banging the door down to the first team. 

• Like 2

Been discussed elsewhere too but why does sending him out on loan automatically mean he will progress? 

We send him out to Walsall for the rest of the season, he plays 15 games, does ok, not a clue how they play if I'm honest, would guess the league is a lot of physicality and heading high balls, also don't know the quality of their coaching set up or facilities but it won't be as good as ours 

Or he stays at villa, plays for the U23s, trains with the 1st team, with Terry as his coach and alongside mings, makes some match day squads with the new 9 subs thing, lines up vs Watkins and Grealish every day and gets used to training drills based on speed and movement surrounded by more staff and world class facilities 

"but on loan he gets to play some mens football and toughen up" 

I don't buy in to it personally, I think it's out dated

And I have faith and trust that whatever we do with him will be what we think is best, we've brought in a good team of coaches and managers at all levels, if we keep him at BMH then it'll be for a reason made by some very experienced people (it's also impossible for us to know exactly what loan offers are available to him) 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 3

I thought he played well but he seemed to lack the physical side. He didn't have the strength to clear the ball well, especially with his head  

I figured he was 16/17 and that was the reason. If he's in his 20's that would concern me. 

If he's good enough he'll get his chance though. 

I think it's harder to find loan moves for young central defenders where they're going to get a decent amount of game time because they play in a position where there's a lot at stake and clubs are less prepared to take a risk on them, truth of the matter is if he doesn't go out on loan it's probably because no team at a level we find acceptable is prepared to give him game time.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, useless said:

I think it's harder to find loan moves for young central defenders where they're going to get a decent amount of game time because they play in a position where there's a lot at stake and clubs are less prepared to take a risk on them, truth of the matter is if he doesn't go out on loan it's probably because no team at a level we find acceptable is prepared to give him game time.

It's also harder for them to get minutes off the bench for the first team. You don't just substitute defenders mid-match without good reason like you can with attacking players.

I doubt Bridge or Dominic Revan will be playing for our U23s next season as we will have other defenders we will want to be developing at that level, so either we will have to start using them in the first team squad or they'll have to go out on loan. As central defenders they're still very young, so still time for them to develop as players whatever happens.

Edited by useless

Â