Mungo Bridge

sir_gary_cahill

On 11/01/2021 at 15:53, villa4europe said:

Been discussed elsewhere too but why does sending him out on loan automatically mean he will progress? 

We send him out to Walsall for the rest of the season, he plays 15 games, does ok, not a clue how they play if I'm honest, would guess the league is a lot of physicality and heading high balls, also don't know the quality of their coaching set up or facilities but it won't be as good as ours 

Or he stays at villa, plays for the U23s, trains with the 1st team, with Terry as his coach and alongside mings, makes some match day squads with the new 9 subs thing, lines up vs Watkins and Grealish every day and gets used to training drills based on speed and movement surrounded by more staff and world class facilities 

"but on loan he gets to play some mens football and toughen up" 

I don't buy in to it personally, I think it's out dated

And I have faith and trust that whatever we do with him will be what we think is best, we've brought in a good team of coaches and managers at all levels, if we keep him at BMH then it'll be for a reason made by some very experienced people (it's also impossible for us to know exactly what loan offers are available to him) 

An absolutely huge part of defending is experience - a lot more so than attacking players IMO - he won't get it without game time. 

An interesting fact - Ezri Konsa (23) has played more competitive games than Tyrone Mings (27). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

People are obsessed with sending young players out on loan, it’s not a guaranteed way to develop a player.

As many loans turn out to be nightmares as those that go well. In a lot of cases you’re packing a young lad off far away from home, family and friends and it’s often a sink or swim environment. 

Every time a young player shows some promise we get a page full of ‘looks good, let’s loan him out ASAP’, and I don’t get it. 

Why don’t we send some of them to Walsall for example? Won’t need to get away from their friends and friends.

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

People are obsessed with sending young players out on loan, it’s not a guaranteed way to develop a player.

As many loans turn out to be nightmares as those that go well. In a lot of cases you’re packing a young lad off far away from home, family and friends and it’s often a sink or swim environment. 

Every time a young player shows some promise we get a page full of ‘looks good, let’s loan him out ASAP’, and I don’t get it. 

Well the choice is they play reserve football or they play first team elsewhere.

Our own first team isn't a place for players to develop early in their careers.

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

More cases of footballers playing reserve football till 24 and then fading into obscurity in the vanarama north after being released I'd imagine than loans that aren't worthwhile. 

Some could be considered a complete waste of time but rarely, they're mostly character building, show players the workings of another club and get them used to being a genuine professional footballer. It might all sound cliché but that doesn't mean it's not true.

As far as packing up a lad and sending him far from friends and family, half our u23s have been packed up and taken away from friends and family to be in our academy. It's the life you choose to throw yourself into when you go into pro football. Most of these lads won't make it with us so experience at a lower level can help their careers long term and give us more opportunity to make some money back from them moving on. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Well the choice is they play reserve football or they play first team elsewhere.

Our own first team isn't a place for players to develop early in their careers.

No, the choice is they develop here or develop elsewhere, and the latter is not always the best choice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

No, the choice is they develop here or develop elsewhere, and the latter is not always the best choice.

It depends on what's missing from their games and their learning styles tbh. Some people learn better through doing and experience than theory.

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

It depends on what's missing from their games and their learning styles tbh. Some people learn better through doing and experience than theory.

completely agree

some players will develop more thanks to playing football at a higher level, some players will develop more by having the higher standard of coaching 5 days a week

said before elsewhere the thing is that we just have to trust the highly qualified team that our owners have taken a lot of effort to assemble, trust the decision making and have patience, if bridge doesnt make it then it wont be because we didnt send him out on loan and it will also be highly unlikely that he will go on to do anything anywhere else, we dont have that problem, its not like we have players that dont break through but then go on to be world beaters anywhere else, suliman for example, he wasnt good enough, loans didnt change that

• Like 2

On 14/01/2021 at 02:00, abdulaziz1 said:

Why don’t we send some of them to Walsall for example? Won’t need to get away from their friends and friends.

We are lucky in that sense to be surrounded by small feeder clubs, Sandwell Town, Chaventry City, Athletico Bilston, Smalsall, SHA... 😂 

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

I wonder what the logic behind this is. Are his family moving to the region or something?

My issue with Bridge has always been that while he can be calm and technical at times, he just isn't very physical at all. I remember an EFL Trophy against I think Sunderland when they just constantly targeted him in the air and got joy every time. I always wondered if he wouldn't be better off learning a new position. But maybe this is a move to a less physical league than a non-league side in this country? Dunno.

It's certainly a brave move anyway, to go to an amateur French side. Good luck to him.

• 1 year later...
Â