Cameron Archer

Zatman

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

That's where you just have to trust the staff at the club to know what they're doing 

Gerrard said no he stays here, if by the world cup he has 0 PL minutes to his name then its a stick to beat Gerrard with but on the face of it at the moment I think he will get a fair shot at it, definitley if we play 2 up top 

I kind of agree, if we are in the top 6 or 7 and scoring lots of goals and Can is not playing then that will be okay with me

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Another loan would be best for his development 

That is the big question but just like you don't know, Gerrard doesn't know either. It is only after giving Cam a chance to succeed or fail that we will know. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Great news. Confirms we won't be buying another Striker though. But great for Archer, really hope he takes his chances when they come...and with Watk Ings form, the chances will come.

Yeah, suggests to me that we've been trying to get one in but couldn't get a suitable deal done. 

It's a bit of a gamble by SG... hope he has the guts to give him plenty of minutes and Cam can do the business when called on.

To be brutally honest, I hold zero excitement or enthusiasm toward Watkins and/or Ings right now… last season was discouraging and preseason has been even worse in that sense…

But this kid… well, that’s an entirely different matter 🏹 

A shame we didn’t even try him as lone CF during preseason, we didn’t really experiment as far as I could see and I can’t believe SG played our misfiring CFs together again. Stop playing 2 up front and get Emi in the side! We lack creativity!

I am intrigued to see how Archer and Bailey could do (they’d enjoy running onto Buendia’s (if he even plays) killer through balls and hopefully finish those chances with relative ease), preferably one of them supported by Emi and Phil. It would give Ollie and Danny a proper kick up the arse too!

But, I fear SG will continue down the predictable, tired old route. Hope I’m wrong and I’m open to surprises.

Just want us to be entertaining and effective but saw so little of that in our friendlies… 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

Another loan would be best for his development 

He pretty much proved he could do it at Championship level last season. At some point you have to give developing talent a chance to break through. If he fails to get minutes he will be loaned out in January.

8 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I kind of agree, if we are in the top 6 or 7 and scoring lots of goals and Can is not playing then that will be okay with me

thats the other side of the coin, if we dont play him because Ollie and Ings both come out of the gates firing then fans have to have patience and accept it

also maybe take it as the striker unit getting better with Cam there with them every day so he has played a part still

between the 3 of them they just have to score goals and win games, doesnt matter how we do it, conversely if we dont then villa fans being villa fans everyone will have the finger pointed at them, this will be considered terrible and Purslow himself should be sacked for it, normal stuff

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

seems strange, especially if he gets even less game time than Ings did compared to Watkins last season, would be better getting 40+ games in the champ, week in, week out.

Or maybe it means we are going 2 up top.

urgh.

I suppose they could loan him out in jan if he doesnt get much game time.

5 subs this year and hopefully a cup run. He will get game time.I predict he will be ahead of Ings in the pecking order by the end of the season.

54 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Archer is too good for the Championship so a loan is redundant. He’s earned his place. 

Exactly, plus it’s not like he’s just going to put up with getting loaned out every year until his contract is up… he wants to prove himself at the top for Villa and there’s only one way to do that.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

On 01/08/2022 at 23:37, Peter Griffin said:

That is the big question but just like you don't know, Gerrard doesn't know either. It is only after giving Cam a chance to succeed or fail that we will know. 

You can be on Loan for too long....c 30 games is enough IMO.....he has done 46.

Its time to sink or swim....He needs to learn the Prem league, Ropes.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

You can be on Loan for too long....c 30 games is enough IMO.....he has done 46.

Its time to sink or swim....He needs to learn the Prem league.

He is also 20 years old. I understand players develop at different rates but by 20 he should be old enough to prove his worth in the team. He has the potential to come on as a sub and score a goal and earn himself a starting place and could go on to have a 15+ goal season. It is really exciting for Villa to have Archer in the 1st team this season

• Like 1

Â