Cameron Archer

Zatman

He was told by Gerrard that he would have his answer at the end of the tour of Australia where he would be playing his football this season.

Reading between the lines you would have thought Preston with the manger being Gerrards mate would have had first dibs.  Fact they have signed Parrot suggests Archer is staying at Villa to me.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Excellent news! If he’s on the pitch, give him the ball, and he will score… it’s how he does it

I love this, however we really do need to give him game time. If we are pissing about, flip flopping on Watkins/Ings, it’s going to be tricky to give Archer game time. Hopefully we find a way 

• Like 2

seems strange, especially if he gets even less game time than Ings did compared to Watkins last season, would be better getting 40+ games in the champ, week in, week out.

Or maybe it means we are going 2 up top.

urgh.

I suppose they could loan him out in jan if he doesnt get much game time.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Weird that I almost feel like this is a " signing ".

Chuffed!

Yeah me too, I think he’s ready for the PL, and there’s only one way to find out. So far in the last couple of years and in preseason he’s done all that’s asked of him, namely score goals, so he deserves a chance.

• Like 3

I think he's been kept for cup games like last season, and the odd PL appearance.  If out  of the league cup early and not made much of an impression in the PL by Christmas, then might well go on loan second half of season. 

Trust that they know what they're doing 

And who's to say training with our first team every day, being on the bench every week and getting 10 mins here and there and the cup games is so much worse than playing 30 games for someone like Swansea on loan 

If we stick with 2 up top he'll make 20+ appearances for us this season

• Like 1

I think we’re lucky to have 2 older senior pros and one up and coming star to keep them on their toes! 

It only takes one injury and Archer is pushing for a starting spot. 

I’m happy to see Cam stay rather than buying in another striker. There’s no doubt over the course of the season he’ll get his chances! 

• Like 2

I'm not sure he's going to get much of a chance, if we're starting with Watkins upfront for example and make a change with twenty or so minutes to go, then more often than not we're going to bring on Ings ahead of Archer, and the same if we start with Ings, Watkins more likely to come off the bench ahead of him.

Maybe if we're chasing a game, there could be a scenario where we say bring off Watkins and bring on both Archer and Ingsy, go two up top, perhaps also worth remembering that Archer has actually played a lot of football, in fact most of his football as a wide forward, even at Preston last season he wasn't the main striker through the middle, so if Chukwuemeka and Traore are going to be out the picture, then there's potential for him to get in the team in one of the wide forward positions.

Maybe also suggests that a deal is in place for Davis to go somewhere.

• Like 1

It can only be good news.

If he was loaned out again at the age of 20, imo it would have sent the message out we are open to offers for him.

This way he gets a chance to prove himself even more. I’m sure he’ll play in cup games and come off the bench in prem matches. 

I’m quite excited at the thought of seeing him in the prem. 

The five subs rule certainly helps his cause for minutes this season and a strong bench will be crucial when deciding games.

He could be the difference of getting us a point or even three, when neither look likely.

Â