Cup Final One of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

9 hours ago, useless said:

Everton will be favorites, but I wouldn't call them massive favorites, they really aren't that much better than most teams in the Premier league, everyone outside the top six is much of a muchness, all capable of beating the other on their day. If beating them at Villa Park isn't 'realistic', then we might as well just give up now, most teams outside of the top six are of a very similar level, even the so-called best of the rest teams like Everton, Wolves, and Leicester could very easily finished half way or more down the table this season. Not saying we should expect to win of course, but us having a chance of winning at VIlla Park against anyone outside of the six at Villa Park, should be a realisitic expectation.

We used to have a brilliant record against them at VP. Think in all their seasons under Moyes they only won twice here (2005 and 2012). Another team we've stopped winning home games against (similar to Spurs). Can thank Lambert for that.

7 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes, anyone outside the top six at home we have to be aiming for three points. A point wouldn't be a bad result, but I want to see evidence that we can compete in this league. I want to see evidence that our signings (many of whom were young and unproven) are good enough at this level and were scouted diligently, particularly Wesley who has not looked up to it thus far. And I don't want to see fans getting on our manager's back if we keep losing which will inevitably happen given the amount we've spent. First and foremost, Smith has to change the fullbacks to Guilbert and Targett who looked very decent preseason. We've also yet to see Nakamba who could be a key DM for us, but it's unlikely he'll feature against Everton. 

From an Everton fans perspective on their website:

At the end of the day, we are miles better than them and should win comfortably. Their captain and best player wouldn't even get on to our bench with a fully fit squad. 

But it's football, so let's see.

This arrogance from a team we were on a par with 10 years ago and better than 20 years ago kinda kills me as it shows how far we have fallen. So I hope we shove that fans words down his throat by beating them and proving we still belong at this level. If the team needed any motivation to go and get three points, the above opinion should be all they need. 

If you look at the two positions they're talking about it's McGinn v Andre Gomes. As much as I love McGinn Gomes was in and out of Barcelona team and had a good season at Everton. Then you have Jack v Glyfi Sigurdsson. Glyfi is excellent number 10 player at premier league and international level as I'm sure @Jonsi77 would confirm so Jack still has a way to go yet.

Everton have spent a ridiculous amount over last 2-3 years, it's been underachievement on their part they haven't pushed top 6 closer.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

If you look at the two positions they're talking about it's McGinn v Andre Gomes. As much as I love McGinn Gomes was in and out of Barcelona team and had a good season at Everton. Then you have Jack v Glyfi Sigurdsson. Glyfi is excellent number 10 player at premier league and international level as I'm sure @Jonsi77 would confirm so Jack still has a way to go yet.

Everton have spent a ridiculous amount over last 2-3 years, it's been underachievement on their part they haven't pushed top 6 closer.

Yes, Everton are a good side and have shown ambition with their signings, we all know that.

My point was that we are being looked at as another **** promoted team despite the amount we’ve spent. Not only from Everton fans but I’ve seen with Wolves too. Yet Purslow has said we are aiming high, want to do more than just avoid relegation, etc.

So are we looking at these players we’ve signed with claret and blue tinted specs thinking they’ll turn into top players, or have we recruited badly? Only time will tell but we got them in relatively early so we could integrate them into the team. Yet we’re still for example using the ‘it will take time’ excuse and playing our ageing full backs from last season when both our new ones played all preseason games which is a bit baffling.

Need to take at least a point from this game imo.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

16 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Is this crazy?

spacer.png

Not for me, we are struggling enough with a change of personnel, changing the formation and entire gameplan as well will only make things worse.

Unfortunately we need to persist until it works itself out, we aren't far away.

Had a dream about this one. We were 0-4 down by half time, with Mings and Heaton having shockers. Jack pulled one back early in the second half, but then I woke up. 

Shudder. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Had a dream about this one. We were 0-4 down by half time, with Mings and Heaton having shockers. Jack pulled one back early in the second half, but then I woke up. 

Shudder. 

go have a nap and tell us how it ended....sounded like a comeback was on to me

• Like 4

Would like to see Targett introduced and Hourihane reinstated for this one. We missed Connor's set pieces last match and it was a tough match for Luiz (barring wonder goal), so I think he should be introduced from the bench a few more times before he starts. Same with Guilbert at right back.

However, I can't see any reason why Targett shouldn't start over Taylor. I could stomach Taylor on the left side of a back 3 formation,  but in this 4-3-3 system where full backs need to overlap the wingers it makes no sense. It's like being a man down once we have possession. Targett has prem experience and everything!

30 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Would like to see Targett introduced and Hourihane reinstated for this one. We missed Connor's set pieces last match and it was a tough match for Luiz (barring wonder goal), so I think he should be introduced from the bench a few more times before he starts. Same with Guilbert at right back.

However, I can't see any reason why Targett shouldn't start over Taylor. I could stomach Taylor on the left side of a back 3 formation,  but in this 4-3-3 system where full backs need to overlap the wingers it makes no sense. It's like being a man down once we have possession. Targett has prem experience and everything!

So does Taylor.  ;)

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Gylfi, Richarlison, Gomes, Bernard, Digne all players in very good class in PL. Gylfi was10th highest goalscorer in PL last season the only midfielder on that list - huge portion of assists for hes teams in PL last years. Huge test on friday but everything is possible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Problem with a Friday night game, is that if we lose it'll ruin my entire weekend.

I'll be driving to Wales by kick off, hope I don't crash when we score

spacer.png

For me the key match up is Bernard/Richarlison vs whichever RB we play. Massively important that whoever gets the nod at RB has their head on straight or they will hurt us.

That said, watching Everton at the weekend, they were massively wasteful. Their finishing was atrocious, so there could be something in it for us. 

54 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

For me the key match up is Bernard/Richarlison vs whichever RB we play. Massively important that whoever gets the nod at RB has their head on straight or they will hurt us.

That said, watching Everton at the weekend, they were massively wasteful. Their finishing was atrocious, so there could be something in it for us. 

Historically that just means their no goal strikers or usual terrible performers get their first goals.

I'm too conditioned over the last 10 year's :)

• Like 1

I'd be going...

Heaton, Guilbert, Engels, Mings, Taylor, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish, Trezeguet, Jota, Wesley.

I'd like to see Targett, but I think Taylor has earned his place.

But I'm just a lowly peasant, Smith knows better than me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

I'd be going...

Heaton, Guilbert, Engels, Mings, Taylor, Luiz, McGinn, Grealish, Trezeguet, Jota, Wesley.

I'd like to see Targett, but I think Taylor has earned his place.

But I'm just a lowly peasant, Smith knows better than me.

I think Elmo has probably earned his place too, some of his crosses were excellent against Bournemouth including the one that Jack almost scored. ... hmm would it be worth going:

Heaton 

Elmo         Engels    Mings    Taylor

Luiz 

Trézéguet                   McGinn      Jota  

Grealish 

Welsey

• Like 1