Cup Final One of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

18 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Same team for me but swap Taylor for Targett. Need someone who can cross from that side of the pitch. El Ghazi will always come inside.

Not a chance would I replace Taylor against Everton. We need a strong base atm and taylor, even with his forward limitations, is the better defensively. 

There will be a time when he is replaced by target imo, but friday would be suicide. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd go:

---------------------Heaton-------------------

Elmo--Engels-----Mings----Targett

-------------Luiz--------Conor-------------

Trez-----------McGinn--------Grealish

--------------------Wes-----------------------

Start off as solid as we can, then gradually move Luiz up alongside McGinn, with El Ghazi subbing on for Trez after 60-70 mins.  I think Jack needs to play as close to Wes as possible with Targett providing more attacking threat than Taylor.  Elmo and Trez together makes sense still but I'd like Guilbert as an option on the bench.

Was going to post similar.

I think Smith may need to reassess his”try and win every game” approach and maybe we become more conservative until our goal threat becomes more established. 

For me I would actually have Nakamba in for Conor when he gets fit and established, with Luiz playing just ahead with Jack and McGinn getting forward more. I would also introduce Guilbert too.

I think we firm up our defensive game and look to counter until we get our confidence.

16 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Guzan

Hutton    richards      lescott     richardson

Hogg

Salifou     reo-coker    cleverley

Tonev        helenius      bowery

I don't think we'll field this team, there's 12 players there.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Ridiculous. Nothing to do with either goal and one of most creative outlets. 6:38 great cross and Grealish bottles it

That's a 10 minute highlight reel in which Elmo crossed the ball a couple of times. Over the 90 minutes he was the weak link in the back 4.

Guilbert is just as adept at crossing the ball and overlapping the winger. Defensively Elmo can be a liability at times, Guilbert deserves a chance.

Edited by wilko154

A couple of people have put Grealish out wide on the left. I don't think this works. Grealish works best when he has the option of an LM overlapping or cutting in to give him an option or to take a defender away. He has to stay central, IMO. 

• Like 2

Braced for a defeat, but hoping for a point. A lot for me depends on who scores first.

A lot depends on how many of the lessons both Spurs and Bournemuff have handed to us are heeded. Needless to say, whatever the result, short of an 89-0 drubbing, in Smith and the team I trust.

Good to have a proper Premier League fixture at Villa Park.

I’m a little nervous about this one, three losses in a row would be quite bad for morale but I think most would respect that we’re building a new side here and that a good performance is key. I really hope we can squeeze a win out of it here, a packed VP under the lights will help.

I think we can win, but we will need to find a way through their midfield. They played a five man midfield against Watford at the weekend which included Richarlison and Sigurdsson, and Gomes seems pretty solid too. 

I think I would go:

Heaton

Elmo         Engels     Mings     Targett   

Luiz               Hourihane

Trezuguet          McGinn       Grealish

Wesley

Although if Coleman for them is playing is it worth playing Taylor to scare the crap out of him!?

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

How concerned will you dudes and dudettes be if we lose this one?

We need to start getting points on the board.

No points from 3 games, two of which are at home would be poor to say the least

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Although if Coleman for them is playing is it worth playing Taylor to scare the crap out of him!?

Joking apart, I wonder if this would be an issue for Taylor mentally?   Something I hadn't thought of until highlighted by you, but you can understand him backing out of any hard challenge with Coleman.  I don't think he or us can afford this to be an issue on the night.  Would it therefore be better if Targett plays this one?  I think so. 

Good point raised mate.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, ferguson1 said:

Joking apart, I wonder if this would be an issue for Taylor mentally?   Something I hadn't thought of until highlighted by you, but you can understand him backing out of any hard challenge with Coleman.  I don't think he or us can afford this to be an issue on the night.  Would it therefore be better if Targett plays this one?  I think so. 

Good point raised mate.  

I think Targett would be better. Taylor did seem physically and mentally shaken immediately after that horrendous tackle on coleman, and it’s bound to play on his mind. I don’t think Taylor made any real errors so far, but I think Targett should come in this game.

• Like 1