Cup Final One of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Can't afford to loose this one. If we do I can see the confidence start to drain in the team.. I'd take a point. 

Palace is the crucial one after way they played today I think. Lose there and it will be a hard slog up to January I think. Another narrow defeat and o.k performance v Everton wouldn't be the end of the world, losing 3-0 different matter.

1 hour ago, momo said:

I am not saying he is playing bad, but when the players tire with 10-15 minutes still to play,  Smith needs to freshen things up at an earlier stage. 1 unused substitute when Hourihane was on the bench, is a bit of a waste. Hourihane is a big goal threat on his own. Whom Smith should have sacrificed, is up to him.

That's a good point. One sub not used when chasing a game was odd, I'd have even put Targett on for Taylor after we got goal back just to give him some minutes. Goal difference not important at this stage of the season.

17 hours ago, EverBlue86 said:

If you set out to defend I think it could be a 1-1 result.

If you come out attacking and let us play on the counter I think 1-3 Everton.

We are not Runcorn and Everton are not quite Liverpool. ;)

We are at home, so we won't be parking the bus. We are glad to be back and playing you again, but we don't quite fear you. We are Aston Villa we will begin on the front foot and look to put your boys under pressure. Looking forward to taking on the Toffeemen again on Friday, who knows there could only be a point between us by the end of the night! :flag:   

• Like 1

On Friday night we will meet Everton for the 203rd time. This is the most frequently played league match and it's nice to have these two clubs playing each other again.

We lost to the Toffees at Villa Park in 2016 (few teams failed to beat us during that grim season :(), but we beat them 3-2 in 2015. Overall we have won 73 and have drawn 53 of the league games that there have been between the two clubs. The games that are most memorable for me against them are however three cup games. Namely our three League Cup Finals against them in 1977, the last replay of which we won 3-2 (aet) at Old Trafford, with our goals coming from Chris Nicholl & Brian Little (2). We also beat them 3-2 in the 1897 FA Cup Final. :hooray:  

Another 3-2 win would be very acceptable on Friday night. We need to start picking up some points and although Everton will be expected to end the season in the top half of the table, this is the sort of game that we should target getting something from. I would currently find a point acceptable, but I would much prefer our first win of the season and our first PL win since the 3rd of February 2016. Just do it for us Villa! 

Heaton

Guilbert  Engels  Mings  Taylor

Luiz     Hourihane

Trezeguet    McGinn    Grealish

Wesley    

I would go with this.

Grealish has made a lot of mistakes through the middle. It might be worth giving him a bit of time and space on the wing for a game.

Through the middle Everton could punish us, Hourihane can come in alongside Luiz to help him out with one of them moving forwards to aid McGinn when we are on the attack.

Elmo looks the most suspect FB out of the two, I would bring Guilbert in to sure us up defensively.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Thought you might miss Zouma but Mina seems to have hit the ground running which didn't happen last season, he has all the physical attributes for this league as he always shows for Colombia.

What you make of Gbamin so far? Can't say I've really heard of him and Gana did well for you so that's quite a bit position to fill, he look up to it as think we could trouble you in that area as the rest of your midfielders are all forward thinking.

Your fullbacks are fantastic aswell, Coleman back to his best after struggling for a while (him v Taylor is obviously going to be fiesty) and Digne is one of best left backs in the league, didn't he come off injured in the Watford game?

Yeah its ironic as many of our fans said Zouma was responsible for our solid defence towards the seasons end yet Keane has gone about without much praise but when you see how shaky Zouma has looked so far for Chelsea it makes you wonder! But I agree Mina is fantastic its a shame he was injured so much last season - we are short in that department though hopefully we bring another CB in Janaury as I dont rate Holgate as backup so ideally I hope we stay injury free at the back!

Digne is 50/50 he was holding his hamstring but Silva said after the game it was just a precaution so God knows - Baines is supposedly fit as a stand in but Digne is miles better.

Gbamin - very shaky 1st game against Palace off the bench but we were down to 10 men and he had no pre season with the squad. Against Watford much better - He's a big unit and we were bullied last season in midfield by Watfords 2 man midfield of Doucoure/Capoue but he really helped us in there. He's more box to box than Gueye and is more offensive in his passing but doesnt do what Gueye did for us.

What do you think is your lads strongest area at present? From what I've seen your midfield looks to be more of a threat than your forwards. Is your defence solid?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

We are not Runcorn and Everton are not quite Liverpool. ;)

We are at home, so we won't be parking the bus. We are glad to be back and playing you again, but we don't quite fear you. We are Aston Villa we will begin on the front foot and look to put your boys under pressure. Looking forward to taking on the Toffeemen again on Friday, who knows there could only be a point between us by the end of the night! :flag:   

Must say im looking forward to the match its certainly imo one of the best fixtures in English football but Sky only think football was invented in 1992 so never gets much a mention!

Personally really hope you are open as we struggle to break teams down at times whereas our best performances tend to be when we have space on the counter to exploit.

Wouldn't be shocked if it ended a draw our away form isnt great.

• Like 2

Just have to stick with the same team, be patient and let them gel.

A common mistake struggling teams makes is keep changing the team every week.

Only change i would make is Jota for El Ghazi as El Ghazi look way out of his depth atm.

I think we'll lose this. Reckon it'll be similar to the Spurs game, a good performance but ultimately undone by a better team.

Would take a draw right now.

Still really excited to watch us though!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Heaton

Luiz     Hourihane

Wesley    

I would go with this.

Grealish has made a lot of mistakes through the middle. It might be worth giving him a bit of time and space on the wing for a game.

Through the middle Everton could punish us, Hourihane can come in alongside Luiz to help him out with one of them moving forwards to aid McGinn when we are on the attack.

Elmo looks the most suspect FB out of the two, I would bring Guilbert in to sure us up defensively.

Ridiculous. Nothing to do with either goal and one of most creative outlets. 6:38 great cross and Grealish bottles it

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Heaton

Luiz     Hourihane

Wesley    

I would go with this.

I'd agree with the team totally. We need to rest el ghazi. Jack and trez can play wide, neither will stay there anyway. We missed hourihane deliveries massively on Saturday. 

21 hours ago, EverBlue86 said:

Looking forward to this one a fixture I've missed in recent years. 

Defensively we've been very good with about 8 clean sheets in 13 games - Pickford gets the plaudits but Keane & Mina have been fantastic at the back for us.

Going forward depends what team turns up - if we are on song we can rip teams to shreds but when we are not we love wasting chances.

Calvert Lewin is championship level and all last year it was like playing with 10 men - He's played the last 2 games due to Kean having no pre season but Kean came off the bench against Watford and looked impressive so I hope he starts - Iwobi will also make an appearance at some point who I think was a shrewd signing for us as he was Arsenals biggest creator of chances last season and one of the best in the league which we do need as Siggurdsson can blow hot and cold.

If you set out to defend I think it could be a 1-1 result.

If you come out attacking and let us play on the counter I think 1-3 Everton.

I imagine we will likely go:

Pickford

Coleman Keane   Mina Digne

Gbamin   Gomes

Richarlison     Gylfi      Bernard

Kean

Would rather Iwobi over Bernard but I think he will likely come off the bench having had no game time as of yet. The Snake may also make an appearance off the bench if fit!

Anyway lets hope for a great match!

Have just winced at the prospect of Elmohamady coming up against either Bernard or Iwobi. Only positive for us from that is that it finally gives Smith the excuse to drop him. 

I don' think we will set up to defend, given we are at Home and doing so isn't really in Smith's vocabulary, so expecting an open game.

How quick and good in the air are Keane and Mina?