Cup Final One of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

We just need a point on the board, to settle some nerves.  If we win, I think we'd see the best of Grealish in coming weeks, with that unwanted record hanging over him.

It'll be very difficult, they've match winners in midfield and people who work hard upfront.  Everton always have a decent defense too. 

I'll go 1-1. 

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I agree, I think it will be the same team.

I'd expect us to try and keep it very tight the first 10-20 minutes after the slow start against Bournemouth and El Ghazi is more useful than Jota in those circumstances 

He's better at working back and defending his full back, and also his height is useful both defensively and going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if Jota comes on at some point though, depending on how the game is going.

I think if we had some better options in his position El Ghazi would probably be out, I just don't see us moving our team around too much to enforce that change, certainly not moving our best player and captain out wide where he'll have less influence and have to work back half of the time.

All that said, if El Ghazi doesn't perform tonight it is going to give Smith a headache going forward. 

Everton are a good team, but I've a feeling we might get a point out of this, I'm going for 1-2.

I agree with every bit of that until the very last digit! 

Hope I am wrong though! Come on you Villa boys!

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 10:50, Stevo985 said:

I think we'll lose this. Reckon it'll be similar to the Spurs game, a good performance but ultimately undone by a better team.

Would take a draw right now.

Still really excited to watch us though!

Get away with you and your realism !

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Match prediction: 1-2

Heaton mistime a cross Mina takes advantage of, Sigurdsson makes it 0-2 after a freekick in the 60th minute, McGinn scores a header from a cross by Elmo to make it 1-2 in the 85th minute.

Thanks very much, I was really looking forward to that and now you’ve spoilt the ending for me! It’s just like Empire Strikes Back all over again! #spoilers

28 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I really want to win besides the obvious reasons. I think Silva is a fraud of a manager that's getting a free ride because no other reason than he's continental. Watford did fantastic after he left

He finished 8th which is the same as Allardyce did, but i guess Silva's football is a little bit prettier on the eye.

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

If he needed one maybe, but he's still been one of our best players. This Grealish bashing it the weirdest and most ambarassing theme I've ever seen on here.  People seem desperate for him to fail. 

It was a joke. I am bashing no one. Just feel the players got tired in both matches, and fresh legs earlier would have been welcome. If it means substituting Grealish, because he has an off day, then so be it.

It's set to be a fantastic occasion tonight and the first night match of the season which adds an extra twist to another instalment of the most played fixture in English football between two greats of the English game, Aston Villa and Everton.

Everton have had a fairly good start to the season keeping two clean sheets and earning 4 points, but they've only managed one goal in those two games. Villa have only scored 2, so one would expect a low scoring affair. Having said that, Moise Kean made his debut last weekend and looked threatening in front of goal, while Villa have certainly been creating the chances to score a lot more.

Hopefully this will be another close game and I can see a draw on the cards, possibly a 1-1. However even if we don't get a result tonight I still don't think there is cause for alarm - it's only the third game of the season and the team are still clearly settling in after a large upheaval this summer. This Villa team do have the quality which they've shown in glimpses, whether they can perform across 90 minutes remains to be seen.

I would expect the full backs to remain the same though it would be interesting to see the new boys given a chance as they looked good in preseason. Still, DS is the man watching them daily in training so we can only trust what he's doing. Also think it would be nice to see Hourihane in the team as well as what he offers with set pieces is almost indispensable to the team, particularly if chances are few and far between. Realistically, I expect an unchanged side from the Bournemouth game assuming there's no injuries.

It's another test to see what level this Villa team are at this season - whether they can mix it with Everton or whether they are a level below. Let's see what the footballing gods have in store for us tonight - maybe some divine VAR intervention in our favour?

10 minutes ago, jim said:

I think we are going to get thrashed, hopefully I’m proved wrong. 

Everton scored only 1 goal in total against Wolves and Watford so don't think we'll get trashed.

But yeah, Everton are a stronger side than us so on paper they should win.