Cup Final One of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Everton will be favorites, but I wouldn't call them massive favorites, they really aren't that much better than most teams in the Premier league, everyone outside the top six is much of a muchness, all capable of beating the other on their day. If beating them at Villa Park isn't 'realistic', then we might as well just give up now, most teams outside of the top six are of a very similar level, even the so-called best of the rest teams like Everton, Wolves, and Leicester could very easily finished half way or more down the table this season. Not saying we should expect to win of course, but us having a chance of winning at VIlla Park against anyone outside of the six at Villa Park, should be a realisitic expectation.

That bit in bold... I kind of alluded to the same thing at home to Bournemouth and in a round about way was considered to have been arrogant. I still think we should have been confident of getting a win at home to Bournemouth as we rode the remainder of the positive vibe, but I am less sure about Everton. You're right, it isn't about necessarily dismissing any team per se... but it's not sustainable to get all panicky over every team that visits Villa Park. At some point, the team has to have some confidence. Us fans too... we can't watch every game through the gaps in our fingers like a horror film. We're not here for a horror film and the narrative of the Club right now is that we shouldn't be experiencing a horror film.

A point against Everton will be hard fought and I'd take it now.

1 hour ago, useless said:

It's not so much people thinking that Everton will beat us that I disagree with, it's the notion that we can't hope to beat them, I mean if we were to take away the Villa angle and imagine Norwich, Sheffield United, or Brighton, three teams who you might say are of a similar level to ourselves, then would we be dismissing their chances of beating a team like Everton at home? I'd say that they'd all have more than a decent chance of getting three points, that's not underrating Everton either.

Yes, anyone outside the top six at home we have to be aiming for three points. A point wouldn't be a bad result, but I want to see evidence that we can compete in this league. I want to see evidence that our signings (many of whom were young and unproven) are good enough at this level and were scouted diligently, particularly Wesley who has not looked up to it thus far. And I don't want to see fans getting on our manager's back if we keep losing which will inevitably happen given the amount we've spent. First and foremost, Smith has to change the fullbacks to Guilbert and Targett who looked very decent preseason. We've also yet to see Nakamba who could be a key DM for us, but it's unlikely he'll feature against Everton. 

From an Everton fans perspective on their website:

At the end of the day, we are miles better than them and should win comfortably. Their captain and best player wouldn't even get on to our bench with a fully fit squad. 

But it's football, so let's see.

This arrogance from a team we were on a par with 10 years ago and better than 20 years ago kinda kills me as it shows how far we have fallen. So I hope we shove that fans words down his throat by beating them and proving we still belong at this level. If the team needed any motivation to go and get three points, the above opinion should be all they need. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

This arrogance from a team we were on a par with 10 years ago and better than 20 years ago kinda kills me as it shows how far we have fallen. So I hope we shove that fans words down his throat by beating them and proving we still belong at this level. If the team needed any motivation to go and get three points, the above opinion should be all they need. 

It isn't arrogance and we would say exactly the same thing if the table was turned.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Is this crazy?

spacer.png

If I really wanted a 3 5 2 I would go targett as left wing back, then move trez in to hourihanes slot and do a kind of 3 man midfield with trez left side but can drift left or inside type of thing.

57 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes, anyone outside the top six at home we have to be aiming for three points. A point wouldn't be a bad result, but I want to see evidence that we can compete in this league. I want to see evidence that our signings (many of whom were young and unproven) are good enough at this level and were scouted diligently, particularly Wesley who has not looked up to it thus far. And I don't want to see fans getting on our manager's back if we keep losing which will inevitably happen given the amount we've spent. First and foremost, Smith has to change the fullbacks to Guilbert and Targett who looked very decent preseason. We've also yet to see Nakamba who could be a key DM for us, but it's unlikely he'll feature against Everton. 

At the end of the day, we are miles better than them and should win comfortably. Their captain and best player wouldn't even get on to our bench with a fully fit squad. 

It's not arrogance really, but it is a bit of ignorance. I think several of our players would make their matchday squad.

However, the broader point that they are much better than us on paper is true. It doesn't change the fact that 3 points are realistically available to us on Friday.

2 hours ago, useless said:

If we can't hope to beat a mid table team like Everton, then who can we hope to beat? They're of a similar standard to most teams in the Premier league outside of the top six. Whilst it will be a difficult game, if we're dismissing our chances of beating them in an home game at VIlla Park then something really has gone wrong, we're in the Premier league now, at some point we're going to have to beat good sides being as though we'll be playing one pretty much every week.

I think 100% of us fans hope we can beat them and I firmly believe that the players and management staff will go with the intention of winning this game and hope to do so, they definitely won't be writing it off and neither are we.

I feel that the ones that would take a point now are just wanting us to get off the mark in this league and build from there, confidence is a massive thing in football and 3 defeats on the spin might sow seeds of doubt into a few of the players.

10 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't think rotating and mixing it up too much is the answer here. It's a team learning to know each other. We just need patience and let them gel over the next few months. The only change I'd probably do is bringing on Guilbert and Targett mid-game. 

I agree, I think it is way to soon to make a lot of changes. I think Dean Smith will tweak a little but he's too good a Manager to hit the panic button just yet.

4 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Wouldn't say its arrogance tbh mate, when fully fit our bench at present is:

Iwobi

Walcott

Calvert Lewin (well maybe not)

Delph

Schnerderlin

Baines

Sidibe

I would say all of those would be in contention of being in your starting 11 (not being disrespectful when I say that).

No shame in that - its your first season back up & we have spent alot of money since USM purchased us (4th or 5th biggest spenders in the league since 2016) its just we pissed alot of it up the wall under Walsh/Koeman so any progess has been slower than hoped.

However look at City vs Spurs- City dominated but the match ended a draw. Relegated Cardiff beat Utd at Old Trafford last season - Villa can certainly beat us Friday I just hope we show up fully prepared (and Kean up top for the love of God).

Edited by EverBlue86

19 minutes ago, EverBlue86 said:

Iwobi

Walcott

Delph

Schnerderlin

Baines

Sidibe

I would say all of those would be in contention of being in your starting 11 (not being disrespectful when I say that).

No shame in that - its your first season back up & we have spent alot of money since USM purchased us (4th or 5th biggest spenders in the league since 2016) its just we pissed alot of it up the wall under Walsh/Koeman so any progess has been slower than hoped.

However look at City vs Spurs- City dominated but the match ended a draw. Relegated Cardiff beat Utd at Old Trafford last season - Villa can certainly beat us Friday I just hope we show up fully prepared (and Kean up top for the love of God).

You are right, it's not arrogance.

Of course you would expect a comfortable win against a newly promoted team with 2 straight defeats. Villa fans would expect the same if the table was turned.

Everton is a great side, finishing 8th last season. Hammering Man Utd 4-0. Looking forward to a great game against a very good Everton side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EverBlue86 said:

Iwobi

Walcott

Delph

Schnerderlin

Baines

Sidibe

Schnerderlin 😂😂😂 we don't want nor need that washed up wannabe.

7 hours ago, useless said:

It's not so much people thinking that Everton will beat us that I disagree with, it's the notion that we can't hope to beat them, I mean if we were to take away the Villa angle and imagine Norwich, Sheffield United, or Brighton, three teams who you might say are of a similar level to ourselves, then would we be dismissing their chances of beating a team like Everton at home? I'd say that they'd all have more than a decent chance of getting three points, that's not underrating Everton either.

Has anybody said we have no hope of beating them?

of course we have a hope. I’d say we have a decent chance of getting a result. 

But my head says we’ll lose. That’s not the same as saying we have no hope. 

• Like 2

I really look forward to this match, like I have for the previous two but this one is extra special. Villa - Everton is a Premier League match between two great teams. I'm still going to be confident but a draw would be a very good result.

On 18/08/2019 at 15:54, OutByEaster? said:

No it's not. In fact, I think it's possible to make a claim that Elmohamady was our biggest attacking threat yesterday - he played almost the entire game in the opposition half. Taylor isn't adding much and it might be that Guilbert can do the job better than Elmo can - but to claim Elmo isn't helping out in attack at the moment is simply to ignore the evidence in front of you.

Interesting shout.

I thought Elmo wasted plenty of the ball with very gentle floated crosses because that's all he ever does. He goes on the football pitch and crosses the ball, from wherever he is. If he's deeper into their half, his crosses are better, but he'll do it from 45 yards out if he has to.

Taylor did his usual of not going forward unless being forced to by John McGinn's instructions and being absolutely trash when he did.

Targett and Guilbert both start for me and both stay in the team.

What could possibly happen is they both start and we take a 3-0 kicking as we're (hopefully) going forward, unlike Spurs game where we sat back for the whole second half, leading some to declare Neil Taylor a defensive full back. We need to get them in for matches we've got a better chance in. We can't wait for a Sheff U/Brighton/Norwich match then suddenly throw them in.