Cup Final One of Thirty Six: Prematch

TheAuthority

12 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Keep same team. No point overreacting to an unlucky result against Bournemouth.

Elmo and Taylor have done nothing to warrant being dropped, and Guilbert and Targett are overrated by a lot of people on here on the basis of a few pre-season games.

Targett was average in preseason without doing a whole deal wrong, Guilbert however has so much pace and energy in the tackle and getting forward that I would rather see how he does. Harsh on Elmo who has not been bad by any means but our team just doesn't have the right balance at the moment. Even McGinn is being levered off the ball way too often and not winning any free kicks.

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I wouldn't. It's clear we're struggling with our fullbacks not helping out offensively.

No it's not. In fact, I think it's possible to make a claim that Elmohamady was our biggest attacking threat yesterday - he played almost the entire game in the opposition half. Taylor isn't adding much and it might be that Guilbert can do the job better than Elmo can - but to claim Elmo isn't helping out in attack at the moment is simply to ignore the evidence in front of you.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

No it's not. In fact, I think it's possible to make a claim that Elmohamady was our biggest attacking threat yesterday - he played almost the entire game in the opposition half. Taylor isn't adding much and it might be that Guilbert can do the job better than Elmo can - but to claim Elmo isn't helping out in attack at the moment is simply to ignore the evidence in front of you.

Could not disagree more. It's not just about getting forward it's about what you do when you get there. 

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Could not disagree more. It's not just about getting forward it's about what you do when you get there. 

Our clearest chance of the game came from an Elmohamady cross that was six yards out right on Grealish's head. As an attacking fullback, it was a really good display.

I like Guilbert and I think he'll go on to be a very good player for us - I think Elmohamady is poor defensively and I worry mostly that El Ghazi is out of form, dropping Elmo for Guilbert right now is removing one of our strengths and not fixing a weakness. 

At a push, I'd consider dropping El Ghazi, moving Trezeguet over to the left and playing Elmo ahead of Guilbert on the right - but for now, I think we have to give El Ghazi a chance to play himself into form.

I'd go:

---------------------Heaton-------------------

Elmo--Engels-----Mings----Targett

-------------Luiz--------Conor-------------

Trez-----------McGinn--------Grealish

--------------------Wes-----------------------

Start off as solid as we can, then gradually move Luiz up alongside McGinn, with El Ghazi subbing on for Trez after 60-70 mins.  I think Jack needs to play as close to Wes as possible with Targett providing more attacking threat than Taylor.  Elmo and Trez together makes sense still but I'd like Guilbert as an option on the bench.

• Like 3

Oh also I’m probably one of his biggest critics but I would probably bring Hourihane back in as our set pieces are truly horrible without him. I’d also consider dropping Grealish. He hasn’t been good enough at all and he seems to be all over the place. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Oh also I’m probably one of his biggest critics but I would probably bring Hourihane back in as our set pieces are truly horrible without him. I’d also consider dropping Grealish. He hasn’t been good enough at all and he seems to be all over the place. 

What is the benefit of dropping Grealish? Just because he's playing a bit below par doesn't mean we'll be a better team with him on the bench. I don't get the thinking behind this at all.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

What is the benefit of dropping Grealish? Just because he's playing a bit below par doesn't mean we'll be a better team with him on the bench. I don't get the thinking behind this at all.

The good old kick up the ass?

3 minutes ago, momo said:

The good old kick up the ass?

Could work if he's showing signs of complacency or poor attitude, but as far as I can see that isn't the problem. He just needs to sit down and analyse his performances with the coaches, and go again next week.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Could work if he's showing signs of complacency or poor attitude, but as far as I can see that isn't the problem. He just needs to sit down and analyse his performances with the coaches, and go again next week.

I am not saying he is playing bad, but when the players tire with 10-15 minutes still to play,  Smith needs to freshen things up at an earlier stage. 1 unused substitute when Hourihane was on the bench, is a bit of a waste. Hourihane is a big goal threat on his own. Whom Smith should have sacrificed, is up to him.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EverBlue86 said:

Looking forward to this one a fixture I've missed in recent years. 

Defensively we've been very good with about 8 clean sheets in 13 games - Pickford gets the plaudits but Keane & Mina have been fantastic at the back for us.

Going forward depends what team turns up - if we are on song we can rip teams to shreds but when we are not we love wasting chances.

Calvert Lewin is championship level and all last year it was like playing with 10 men - He's played the last 2 games due to Kean having no pre season but Kean came off the bench against Watford and looked impressive so I hope he starts - Iwobi will also make an appearance at some point who I think was a shrewd signing for us as he was Arsenals biggest creator of chances last season and one of the best in the league which we do need as Siggurdsson can blow hot and cold.

If you set out to defend I think it could be a 1-1 result.

If you come out attacking and let us play on the counter I think 1-3 Everton.

I imagine we will likely go:

Pickford

Coleman Keane   Mina Digne

Gbamin   Gomes

Richarlison     Gylfi      Bernard

Kean

Would rather Iwobi over Bernard but I think he will likely come off the bench having had no game time as of yet. The Snake may also make an appearance off the bench if fit!

Anyway lets hope for a great match!

Thought you might miss Zouma but Mina seems to have hit the ground running which didn't happen last season, he has all the physical attributes for this league as he always shows for Colombia.

What you make of Gbamin so far? Can't say I've really heard of him and Gana did well for you so that's quite a bit position to fill, he look up to it as think we could trouble you in that area as the rest of your midfielders are all forward thinking.

Your fullbacks are fantastic aswell, Coleman back to his best after struggling for a while (him v Taylor is obviously going to be fiesty) and Digne is one of best left backs in the league, didn't he come off injured in the Watford game?

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Guzan

Hutton    richards      lescott     richardson

Hogg

Salifou     reo-coker    cleverley

Tonev        helenius      bowery

Would sub out Richardson and Bowery for Enda Stevens and Calum Robinson, need more premier league winning mentality in the 11.;)