Match Thread: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Apart from the two conceded headed chances at the start and end of the half that was an absolutely cracking first half performance.

There is still a long way to go and I wouldn't be surprised to see us still lose this because they have individuals that can hurt us but we couldn't have asked for a better first 45 minutes back in the big time.

Some of the posts after the team were announced were ridiculous, let's get behind the boys and the manager (he knows a LOT more than all of us)!

Come on you Villa boys ! 

• Like 1

Smith is going to have some words with Wesley and El Ghazi who have been weak with regards to staying on their feet. We're ruining some fleeting attacking moments by trying to get free kicks instead of just trying to manufacture something in open play.

That said I think we have looked solid at the back considering the level of opposition, and we got more comfortable as time went on. Spurs haven't been great and I expect them to come out swinging in the second half, but this is ours to lose right now. This performance has filled me with hope, as 80% of the league are shite compared to Spurs.

I'm prepared to give the new players some time to get up to speed with the premier league. To me, no one has let me down this half. Especially considering what we all thought when seeing the starting team. Fukcing great! I'd love if we dare to have a bit more confidence going forward to get some sort of attacking play, but I'll take whatever. This is clearly a team with lots of personality and belief, we play with purpose. Bring it on!!

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Still trying to work out if Wesley is not at full fitness, picked up a knock or just a lazy word removed 

Have a word with yourself mate. First game in PL away at Spurs and he has been kicked off the park. He has worked his socks off and has never stopped showing for the ball. Let’s get behind him

• Like 3

Spurs have completely dominated the ball, but the best of the chances have all been ours. Trezeguet has been excellent I think, El Ghazi and Grealish seem threatening on the break - we just need a bit more from Wesley and a bot of luck. We're defending well, but Spurs will make chances. It's a really good first half for us.

6 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Still trying to work out if Wesley is not at full fitness, picked up a knock or just a lazy word removed 

Just struggling to adapt IMO. Might take him a while - not really sure what he is giving us - that said he was instrumental for the goal.

Engels has impressed me.

That's the last time I'm ever questioning Deano's lineups again...  Taylor & Elmo have been excellent, and Trez's pace is a massive threat on the counter.  He's set us up perfectly so far.

• Like 1