• El Ghazi
    • Wesley
    • Jota (Trezeguet 59)
    • Kodjia (Wesley 74)
    • Luiz (Hourihane 81)
  2. 2. Manager's Perfomrance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/19 at 22:59

Its difficult to judge on one game against a clearly superior team but we cant let teams dominate us the way Spurs did second half. McGinn seemed to be playing on his own in midfield for much of the second half. Jota and Kodja made us worse not better and grealish cant mess around keeping the ball in his own half like he did in the championship. We need to learn fast. Theres no easy games. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

whats concerning is that we have been saying we will "be a ball playing team" in the prem, win, lose or draw.

Have we just shot that out of the window after one match?, as we didnt even try to play that way did we?, we just played on the break?

You can only play a style with the quality you have.......we met a team on a different level to us

Poch has been developing this for years.....The top 6 have too.

its going to be an incremental slog of improving season on season to mix it with these guys....we have to be patient.

I think in certain ways we did well today, but in terms of quality on the ball, we are no where near them yet.

There was things i was happy with today....and things that I wasn't.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

For balance...

How the f*** have we lost that?? Smith has wasted all our money on rubbish. If we cant beat f*****g spuds away how are we supposed to finish in the top 4??? May as well accept we are going down. Smith out

Christ, for a minute I thought I had accidentally signed into Facebook.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

You can only play a style with the quality you have.......we met a team on a different level to us

its going to be an incremental slog of improving season on season to mix it with these guys....we have to be patient.

I think in certain ways we did well today, but in terms of quality on the ball, we are no where near them yet.

from what i hear Mings and Engels were class, also happy to hear Hassan looked good?

Obviously Heaton also did well which is nice to know.

Do you have any opinion on Luiz's cameo?, or not enough to judge?

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

**** sake we got dominated by the spuds B /C team, Just let that sink in after spending circa £150m 

This is not a novel from the emperors new tracksuits, Jesus Wept!

And you think that was our first team once all the new signings are match fit and settled in?

15 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I'd say the tightness of defenders in this league probably shocked him. Way more loose in Belgium id imagine.

Thats what they do, close you down in raiding parties and then capitalise from the ricochets......Liverpool did it against Norwich.

These top teams are physically adept and work you......we have to wise up.

These ricochets they rely on for opportunities are a feature of play for the top teams, we looked out of our depth in relation to this.....highlighted by Harry Kanes chance off Mings & Engles......its borne out of their confidence on the ball.

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

from what i hear Mings and Engels were class, also happy to hear Hassan looked good?

Too early to tell, but his early exchanges/ Passes looked ok.

I think the manager was well aware of our shortfalls, and said as much,so that was encouraging in the sense he knows what to work on.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Luiz looked assured on the ball, but he really wasn’t on the pitch long enough to form an accurate opinion. 

• Like 2

Theres no doubt Tottenham have more quality than us. But the frustration is for 45 minutes in the first half we were 1-0 up an seemed to be causing them problems. Second half we just sat back and invited pressure, like we could park the bus against a top 4 side and manage??

Dare I say DS needs to learn from this, seemed a little bit naive to think we could keep it up for 45 minutes, players looked to be doing the best they could. 

2 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Massive opportunity missed Never had there been a better time to go to spurs and get a result with all their players missing and their summer of discontent.

Apart from elmo dropping his guts in the 1st min First half we were fabulous. Dug in and played some decent football on the break. Trezeguet looked a constant threat. I agree with the guy above me who said that was a turning point when jota come on.

2nd half we were pinned back straight away we needed to bring on luiz for houihane about 65mins when we started to get fatigued.

we retreated to the 18 yard line and couldn't get out, spurs kept turning the screw till they got the goal. the grealish got his pocket picked on the edge of the D. and it was game over.

Engels looked decent, Mings and heaton done a job. Mcginn had fantastic momemnts El gazi dissappeared 2nd half.

Wesley struggled couldn't win the ball or keep the ball with his back to goal. very poor display from him.

I agree with the jota comments, disappointed in him after preseason.....shows what the opposition can do in terms of false impressions.

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

Agree with this. Look at Burnley today. They didn't just rock up and pluck a win like that out of thin air. They've been consistently doing that for 2 - 3 years now. And it's all borne out of hard work, learning and getting better. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with the jota comments, disappointed in him after preseason.....shows what the opposition can do in terms of false impressions.

As I’m sure you’ll agree TRO, it will take time for all of them to settle, some longer than others. It’s hard to judge a player on a substitute performance, particularly an attacking player when we are so under the cosh and with very little possession. 

Watching the second Spuds goal, whilst Grealish was guilty as charged of dwelling on the ball in a dangerous area, I've looked at the tackle which dispossessed him in super slow mo and the player definitely cut across him and hit his feet before he got the ball.  I thought VAR was supposed to check all goals before they are awarded? 

• Like 1

Â