Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

He stops being on the bench when he shows he's better than Taylor. Simples.

This. It's about what you contribute to the side and how that will influence proceedings in a way that leads to a desirable outcome. Victory.

It's not necessarily about who's the better player per se, it's about the dynamic of the team we field, we want cohesion which allows for optimal output and influence.

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think Taylor has been worth £11m throughout his career 

I'd disagree with this, sorry SGH. Taylor at the same age had a similar number of games to his name but with perhaps a bigger role than Targett has ever had.

The Swansea side that came up and that Taylor represented for 36 games in their inaugural Premier League season saw them finish 11th. 

Perhaps Targett holds more promise and talent than Taylor ever did, at the end of the day though, it's about what you contribute that leads to a better outcome for the team.

Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting one is more valuable than the other, it's not a call I want to make, I've not seen much of Targett, though I saw a lot of Swansea way back when.

As I said, Swansea finished 11th that year, and prize money for finishing mid-table instead of relegation placing is almost precisely the fee we paid for Tagett.

Then you add TV money and the rest of it, as well as retaining PL status, and finishing 11th becomes a lot more profitable than being relegated.

So if Taylor is the better option than Targett and we are safe this season, I'd say he is worth Targett's fee.

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Price tag is irrelevant

It's not irrelevant, but I see where you are coming from. I think people will get the gist of my stance from what I've said already. It's about the bigger picture for the club.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Is it? Why?

In this case, because if Taylor chips in to greater team performance, then in all likelihood it's a better chance the fee we paid for Targett will be made up for and some.

Here's an example, despite being a pretty poor one..

Who would you rather play, the 50 million dollar Torres and receive the level of performances Chelsea got from him, or the up and coming Tammy and get what he's been producing?

You might make a loss from paying the transfer fee for a player, but the loss is amplified if the team suffers and isn't what it could be from their inclusion.

• Like 1

And in another news, I'm quite keen to see what Marvelous can do for us in the Premier League, having seen him at Crewe.

Luiz, whilst I really like him, and think that he is considerably better than Nakamba on the ball, with a greater capacity to get us forward, is also more risky with his play.

I like the way Nakamba broke up play and won the ball, he made some very tidy and timely tackles and interceptions, and his distribution, while modest, was always safe.

I liked that from him because we would gain AND retain possession through his efforts and that allowed for other players in midfield to get forward.

Lansbury had two assists and Hourihane had two goals, Grealish had a goal and an assist. I know it's against Crewe and not a PL side, but still it was very effective.

I wonder if that's what we want from our defensive midfield position if we are playing a single pivot. Someone reliable, tidy and timely who will allow others license to get forward.

What do others think?

Don't get me wrong, I like Luiz, I think he's the best player we have in the DM role in terms of individual talent, skill and potential for growth, and I want him on the pitch.

For me though, it's about what's going to give us the greatest chance of success week to week, because you can only win one game at a time. I'd like to see Marvelous one game.

I'd be all for a double pivot with Marvelous and Luiz in the holding role, with Luiz having a license to get forward and break the lines of our opposition, MN as safety.

Very encouraged with the two signings though, I think both might turn out to be up to standard, Luiz has a lot of ideas up his sleeve and with greater execution, he'll be nice.

Taylor is ageing, 30 years old, he’s on the decline, I’m not denying he’s been a good player throughout his career and he played a big role in our promotion but I think that Targett is a better option. Targett is better on the ball, more cultured and a better crosser. The market is inflated now, we paid a lot of money for Targett, I’d expect him to come straight in the first XI when fit

Tammy Abraham is a terrific centre forward who I’ve always rated and he’s made a great start to the season but I’d be surprised if he maintains it i.e continues scoring goals at the same rate

6 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Is it? Why?

Because price tag has a lot of other influences that can cause an increase. It’s not a reflection of how much the player is actually worth to the playing club (it is to the selling club). John McGinn was only £2m but his current value to the first team of Aston Villa is higher than Marvellous Nakamba, just because we paid £11m for Nakamba does not mean he gets into the starting line up ahead of McGinn. 

I’m intrigued to see what Nakamba can bring to the side, and when the time is right he will get a chance.

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Because price tag has a lot of other influences that can cause an increase. It’s not a reflection of how much the player is actually worth to the playing club (it is to the selling club). John McGinn was only £2m but his current value to the first team of Aston Villa is higher than Marvellous Nakamba, just because we paid £11m for Nakamba does not mean he gets into the starting line up ahead of McGinn. 

I’m intrigued to see what Nakamba can bring to the side, and when the time is right he will get a chance.

I’ll be amazed if we have paid £11m for a player to just sit on the bench, same goes for Targett, we are not in a position to do so, this notion that ‘we’re Aston Villa, therefore we can just pay £11m for a player and he can warm the bench, competition for places is important 

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’ll be amazed if we have paid £11m for a player to just sit on the bench, same goes for Targett, we are not in a position to do so, this notion that ‘we’re Aston Villa, therefore we can just pay £11m for a player and he can warm the bench, competition for places is important 

11m is squad player money these days.

• Like 1

Â