Jump to content
MaVilla

Said Benrahma

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Sounds like post-purchase rationalisation to me. 

I have been using it on and off for years because baseball. So no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

And I'd expect goalkeeper Lovre Kalinic to secure a move away before close of play tomorrow. Villa can't keep four goalkeepers happy until January, that's for sure!

Mark Bunn would have been happy. Sign him up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised anyone would consider paying for news these days, it’s pretty ample in the free to read space and let’s face it, anything remotely Villa related will be posted here within minutes of being printed anywhere else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The striker search is also picking up pace. Villa had been checking out a French forward but I'll provide some more details on that later if there's any progression.

One player who will not be moving to the Midlands, though, is Galatasaray goal-getter Mbaye Diagne. Ignore the links. They're not true.
As for Saïd Benrahma, the Brentford attacker, there could be some movement later in the day. If Villa get a breakthrough, I'll let you know.
Elsewhere, Scott Hogan is closing in on a loan move to Stoke City as I reported yesterday.
Villa will listen to offers for Birkir Bjarnason, the Icelandic midfielder, too.
And I'd expect goalkeeper Lovre Kalinic to secure a move away before close of play tomorrow. Villa can't keep four goalkeepers happy until January, that's for sure!

the benrahma comment in there is journalism 101, means nothing, same can be said for the thor comment, if he signs then he will claim there was a breakthrough, if he doesn't then he can fall back on there not being a breakthrough, its wishy washy with good wording

the diagne comment is better though

you could spend an hour on twitter and know what he knows

Edited by villa4europe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Surprised anyone would consider paying for news these days, it’s pretty ample in the free to read space and let’s face it, anything remotely Villa related will be posted here within minutes of being printed anywhere else.

Slight digression, but paying for good journalism and proper well researched stuff doesn't bother me, in fact I do it. Paying for football rumours is to me utterly weird considering how the internet works, but people spend their own money as they see fit, so whatever.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have been using it on and off for years because baseball. So no.

It's OK petal, I'm just teasing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why? Because I like The Athletic as a publication and have expressed that? Because some people here don't like Gregg Evans and I have offered up a fairly balanced response to them using facts? 

Ok. 

I met the guy when we did the Under Armour training session at Bodymoor Heath.  He was a genuinely nice bloke who was clearly well thought of by the club staff who were there.  I've sporadically kept in touch with him since.

I think the issues come from him not skewering Bruce when the fans were baying for blood, but that's not how football journalism works if you're focussed on a single club.  You can't burn an important bridge or you have nothing.

His writing style is good, he's well connected, and I think he'll flourish at The Athletic where he's not forced into writing bullshit articles to entice us into completing yet another Google survey.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Because its a bit cheeky putting it behind a pay wall when there is nothing new.

I prefer journalists who tell you the truth from the sources they have rather than the plethora of those that speculate and make up rumours. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Slight digression, but paying for good journalism and proper well researched stuff doesn't bother me, in fact I do it. Paying for football rumours is to me utterly weird considering how the internet works, but people spend their own money as they see fit, so whatever.  

I think where The Athletic is concerned it is the articles you are paying for, this transfer Q&A is just another way of utilising the journalists they have gathered together, I don't think their intention was to have breaking transfer news behind a paywall, it's just a by product of having the journalists on their books. Somebody will put the rumours on Twitter in seconds anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

His writing style is good

From the country that gave us Shakespeare and Henley Street. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think where The Athletic is concerned it is the articles you are paying for, this transfer Q&A is just another way of utilising the journalists they have gathered together, I don't think their intention was to have breaking transfer news behind a paywall, it's just a by product of having the journalists on their books. Somebody will put the rumours on Twitter in seconds anyway.

That's fair enough. If the articles are that good, it's a different story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I met the guy when we did the Under Armour training session at Bodymoor Heath.  He was a genuinely nice bloke who was clearly well thought of by the club staff who were there.  I've sporadically kept in touch with him since.

I think the issues come from him not skewering Bruce when the fans were baying for blood, but that's not how football journalism works if you're focussed on a single club.  You can't burn an important bridge or you have nothing.

His writing style is good, he's well connected, and I think he'll flourish at The Athletic where he's not forced into writing bullshit articles to entice us into completing yet another Google survey.

Yes. I think people are mixing up their detest for BM with that of the journalists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think where The Athletic is concerned it is the articles you are paying for, this transfer Q&A is just another way of utilising the journalists they have gathered together, I don't think their intention was to have breaking transfer news behind a paywall, it's just a by product of having the journalists on their books. Somebody will put the rumours on Twitter in seconds anyway.

Yeah, my understanding too. Long reads, quality opinion pieces and reports. Decent journalism. Paywalls are the future of good journalism due the death of print, the move online and focus on ad driven click-bait pieces that are ‘free’.

Still think the fee is the issue with Benrahma, and it’s whether a compromise can be sort there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if this comes off it will be the most exciting signing for me. This player has so much potential. 

Can you imagine 2 of Trez, Jota, El Ghazi and Benrahama always be on the pitch.  Then it mixed up in the second half! 

We going to be deadly from the flanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Yeah, my understanding too. Long reads, quality opinion pieces and reports. Decent journalism. Paywalls are the future of good journalism due the death of print, the move online and focus on ad driven click-bait pieces that are ‘free’.

Still think the fee is the issue with Benrahma, and it’s whether a compromise can be sort there. 

I agree, we either put up with click bait articles or we have to accept firewalls. One way or the other they have to be paid. 

I also agree that we’re down to arguing over the price on Benrahma. I can’t see why Thor plus £5m won’t cut it, they’re just being greedy 😎

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why? Because I like The Athletic as a publication and have expressed that? Because some people here don't like Gregg Evans and I have offered up a fairly balanced response to them using facts? 

Ok. 

Who on here doesn’t like Gregg Evans?

Lumping him in with the rest of the journos that know a bit but don’t know everything doesn’t mean he’s disliked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I prefer journalists who tell you the truth from the sources they have rather than the plethora of those that speculate and make up rumours. 

Have a trophy...

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I met the guy when we did the Under Armour training session at Bodymoor Heath.  He was a genuinely nice bloke who was clearly well thought of by the club staff who were there.  I've sporadically kept in touch with him since.

I think the issues come from him not skewering Bruce when the fans were baying for blood, but that's not how football journalism works if you're focussed on a single club.  You can't burn an important bridge or you have nothing.

His writing style is good, he's well connected, and I think he'll flourish at The Athletic where he's not forced into writing bullshit articles to entice us into completing yet another Google survey.

Not a fan. He seemed smug Tammy was leaving in January and took sly digs at a few fans. Maybe he picked that up from Brucey.

I always found Kendrick much better in the tough spot of writing for the mail.

He's called one thing I can recall, Mings 5 mins earlier than Percy did. He should improve a lot with the access to players he'll have now he doesn't have to write 10 articles a day on what John McGinn had for breakfast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â