Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its funny really....most folk are now recognising the midfield is the nub of the problem......yet we still get the 3 who are the main ones revered, by some, something doesn't stack up here.

Three?

McGinn, Luiz and who?

Of course there are questions as to how far Doug and SJM can take us, but they're currently our best two by a distance - we need three more to complete the midfield as a squad and four more before we're looking to get rid of either of them!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sne said:

What makes you think that?

maybe, your reluctance to say otherwise and post images suggesting a tedious debate that has been instrumental in landing us where we are.

perhaps saying what you think might be use of your energy.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Three?

McGinn, Luiz and who?

Of course there are questions as to how far Doug and SJM can take us, but they're currently our best two by a distance - we need three more to complete the midfield as a squad and four more before we're looking to get rid of either of them!

Who ever, is chosen.

I am not suggesting getting rid of anyone.....I am attempting to unearth the source of our problem....and I am pretty damn sure, midfield is a good place to look.

Its quite a common place for many podcasters, pundits and fans in the ground, to have suspcions about.....but when individuals are appraised a whole different slant appears.

i.e The midfield is poor, but the midfielders are great, is the sound that comes across.

Its not all on Dougie, I will admit that, just not as convinced as some are.

Edited by TRO

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

My eyes are telling me lies then.....It depends on how all that is collated....I see interceptions as a possibility, due to their positional play, Tackles, shots, nah.....passes, maybe all in our own half, from defender to midfield, when no one is near.

Not convinced by that....I am not saying he is a bad player, just not as good as some are making out...If he was as good as some make out , why haven't teams come in for him?

Passes and shots in terms of blocking them, not attempting them. Just talking purely in terms of defensive numbers for this season.  Gallagher has a higher number of tackles and pressures, and Luiz has more interceptions (or more tackles and interceptions combined, as I referenced above), blocks in terms of passes and shots and a better success rate when it comes to stopping dribblers. Their tackling numbers in the middle third of the pitch are also pretty much the same, it's just Gallagher has more  in the other two as he plays more of an all-action role.  They essentially better each other in varying areas and it seems to be the case because of the different roles they play in their respective teams' styles.

Just now, TRO said:

Its quite a common place for many podcasters, pundits and fans in the ground, to have suspicions about.....but when individuals are appraised a whole different slant appears.

i.e The midfield is poor, but the midfielders are great, is the sound that comes across.

There's scope for that to be true though. The fact that we're naming two of a three man midfield and just calling the other one "whoever is chosen" should tell it's own story.

For me both McGinn and Luiz are perfectly capable of playing in a decent three man midfield, their main shortcoming being that there's only two of em.

We might know more about our tyres once we've got a full set.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's scope for that to be true though. The fact that we're naming two of a three man midfield and just calling the other one "whoever is chosen" should tell it's own story.

For me both McGinn and Luiz are perfectly capable of playing in a decent three man midfield, their main shortcoming being that there's only two of em.

We might know more about our tyres once we've got a full set.

possibly, but we have failed to fill that role....when we was courting Kelvin Phillips and he rejected our advances, we should have continued along that path with an alternative to him...instead we took a detour.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

But Busquets isn't known for running around flying into tackles, dominating physically. He's similar to Dougie in how his best attribute is his passing, and his defensive work mainly relies on good positioning and intelligence more than anything else.

I think the Premier League is more physical than La Liga. Luiz maybe a very good no.6 over there,  but I think we need a bit more physicality myself. Luiz and McGinn yes without another CDM who we haven't got. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Exactly. It's our failure to fill that role that really weakens our midfield, not the qualities of Douglas Luiz (or John McGinn).

as you know, I have always seen Dougie as an 8......I am only judging him ( unfairly maybe) on a 6, role.

I accept your reasoning.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2021 at 16:13, TRO said:
  • Busquets is the Engine room, that the play stems from and the shield to the defence.... Dougie is not, he is not on the same level, by any imagination.
  •  He don't, its not his forte
  • What do you mean the way we want to play......we can't win games, thats the way we are playing.
  • I didn't subscribe to him leaving, in actual fact I said the opposite, read what is being said.
  • We don't need another Douglas Luiz, we need a contrasting player with quality, to play alongside him...he needs a chaperone.
  •  

No one said Luiz was as good. It's just his role. You can play the Busquets role if you're hungover in Bromsgrove.

How does he not get stuck in?? Do you watch him? Mental claim. Got booked about 16 times in a row last season.

"The way we play" as in the footballing philosophy. I assume you are being obtuse but if somehow you haven't realised, the way we play involves playing out from the back, and trying to generate overloads on the wings. Luiz is the single most important player to play out, because he is the first player to receive the ball with his back to his opponents. No one else can do this in our side, minus Sanson. Hence why we just hoof it when Luiz is not playing (and Sanson is injured, which is every game).

I would take a chaperone, but I meant really we need a better back-up to him than Nakamba.

It's astounding we're in a situation where he's the only midfield player in the squad who can look after the ball and offer even a hint of control in possession*. Every game he's out is highlighting how important he is to this team.

* Sanson maybe could but he appears to merely be a figment of my imagination at this point

• Like 3

Â